Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:49 am

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release about the return of their holiday festival, An Old Time Christmas!

Silver Dollar City ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings in its brightest season with one of the most acclaimed holiday festivals in America, An Old Time Christmas, presented November 2 - December 30 at the Branson, Missouri theme park.

The festival includes the return of the popular production It's a Wonderful Life, adapted from the Frank Capra classic, presenting a musical interpretation of the inspirational story that is a worldwide Christmas favorite, voted the #1 "Inspirational Film of All Time" by the American Film Institute. The show also features unique special effects and a talented cast of 14 singer/actors.

It's a Wonderful Life joins Silver Dollar City's acclaimed Broadway-style production, A Dickens' Christmas Carol, another original musical adaptation of a famous classic which is also featured during the festival. A Dickens' Christmas Carol includes elaborate sets and visual effects, flying spirits, pyrotechnic special effects and a talented cast of 15, accompanied by a live band.

A special musical presentation of the Living Nativity, written for Silver Dollar City, presents the story of the birth of Christ through the point of view of the Angel Gabriel. This original, dramatic production brings the story to life with a cast of 11 actors.

An Old Time Christmas transforms the 1880s-style park into an evening wonderland, featuring the Christmas on Main Street light and sound show, 1,000 decorated Christmas trees, a Holiday Light Parade, the two Broadway-style productions, festive holiday foods and over five million lights - and rides too. In temperatures down to 42 degrees, guests can soar into the night while viewing the park's lights from above.

The 5-Story Special Effects Christmas Tree is the park centerpiece, a towering visual icon that comes to life at dusk each evening when the Christmas on Main Street shows begin. During the shows, the massive tree blazes in synchronization to the musical movements of Christmas songs -- up to 100 light changes per second -- while lights on buildings, in hanging canopies over Main Street and on Christmas trees around the Square flash along with it, accompanied by surround-sound, immersing guests in the experience. While technologically incredible, the tree is "green" too, operating with energy-saving LED* lights.

Since its debut more than two decades ago, Silver Dollar City's An Old Time Christmas has become one of the country's most recognized events for spectacular lighting and world-class entertainment. Profiled as one of the nation's top holiday celebrations by USA Today, CNN Travel, The Travel Channel, Good Morning America, AOL Travel, Yahoo Travel and MSN.com, the festival features dazzling elements throughout the 100-acre park. The colorful Holiday Light Parade, with musical floats covered in lights, winds through the streets of the City each evening as costumed characters interact with guests along the parade route.

Fine craftsmanship is also showcased, as the park's 100 demonstrating craftsmen create one-of-a-kind handmade holiday items, from blown glass ornaments, angels and snowmen to pottery dessert platters and scotch-pine scented candles. Guests sing Christmas carols as they ride the Silver Dollar Steam Train and for nighttime thrills, most of the rides and the park's six roller coasters are open after dark with great views of the lights from above. Guests can try the world's steepest drop in the dark on the new ground-breaking wood coaster Outlaw Run, named Best New Ride of 2013 worldwide!

Silver Dollar City presents the Midwest Living Culinary & Craft School, offering classes on holiday specialties. The tastes of the season are in abundance throughout the park, including a prime rib buffet and traditional favorites such as turkey with apple-raisin dressing. Festive holiday treats from apple dumplings to hot wassail can be found throughout the park, and the bakery cooks up homemade fruitcakes, cookies and breads. For kids, there's a lunch with Santa, available weekends throughout the festival.

During An Old Time Christmas, Silver Dollar City is open Thursdays through Sundays through December 22, plus Wednesday, November 27, closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and open daily December 26-30. Hours are 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. most days, with extended hours on Saturdays - check the website for exact schedules. Information: 800-831-4FUN(386) or visit www.silverdollarcity.com.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:31 pm

The tastes of the season are in abundance throughout the park, including a prime rib buffet and traditional favorites such as turkey with apple-raisin dressing. Festive holiday treats from apple dumplings to hot wassail can be found throughout the park, and the bakery cooks up homemade fruitcakes, cookies and breads.

Just this alone makes the event worth it!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:08 am

^I'm sold. They had me at "prime rib buffet."
Last edited by cfc on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:08 am.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby theymitbgi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:05 pm

A couple quick questions about Silver Dollar City:

I'm trying to plan a trip down for the holiday event, thinking about the weekend after Christmas. Will the crowds be huge?? Is there another weekend that would be better??

Coming from St. Louis I know the weather will be cold, but what is the possibility of catching most the rides open?? MY kids won't mind the cold.

Last one, I was looking around on ebay the other day for Silver Dollar City merchandise and found some older mugs that sold for $25 each. Are older mugs still good for a refill program?? What years do the mugs have to be from??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:17 pm

^The weekend after Christmas should be good. The crowds vary based on weather, but after Christmas is not known to be a busy time, and they have a lot of last-minute deals going on.

The rides will be open unless it's a cold weekend and it dips below 40. Not much more to it than that, but it's still worth the trip IMO even if they aren't (I happen to be into the whole crafts/shows aspect of the place though).

The mugs SHOULD still be honored for refills based on the year they were purchased, unless they were purchased in one of the recent odd years such as 2011 when they started being more screwy with the mug refill perks. However, for $25, you can probably just buy one in the park and get a few refills for not much more.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:28 pm

theymitbgi wrote:A couple quick questions about Silver Dollar City:

I'm trying to plan a trip down for the holiday event, thinking about the weekend after Christmas. Will the crowds be huge?? Is there another weekend that would be better??

Coming from St. Louis I know the weather will be cold, but what is the possibility of catching most the rides open?? MY kids won't mind the cold.

Last one, I was looking around on ebay the other day for Silver Dollar City merchandise and found some older mugs that sold for $25 each. Are older mugs still good for a refill program?? What years do the mugs have to be from??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here's the current weather guide for their rides:

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/attractions/rides/Ride-Temperature-Guidelines.aspx

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:32 pm

So is it safe to assume that their won't be any new attraction next year? Wouldn't they have announced before or at the same time that season passes went on sale?
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 pm

I've been wondering too. The lack of announcements, rumors, or teasers is a little disheartening. I was really hoping for the S&S Space Shot.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:34 pm

I don't have time to look it up, but I'm almost positive there was a news article a couple of months ago that explained that they would not be adding physical attractions next year, but hinted at the Geyser Gulch project for 2015. They always take a 'year off' to focus on maintenance and other aspects of the park after adding a huge attraction anyway.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby GrapesLie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:32 am

^ besides after getting something as awesome as Outlaw Run I just cannot be sad about them taking a year off! :p

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!