SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby jray21 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 pm

I hope they've learned a few things from Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins! ;)

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:17 am

SeaWorld San Diego has sent us a press release about their brand new AnimalVision streaming cameras!

For nearly five decades SeaWorld® has connected guests to the natural world through innovative animal habitats and inspiring shows. With the launch of AnimalVision™, 24/7, on-habitat cameras stream footage to customized interactive websites, allowing visitors to create a connection right from the comfort of home at http://www.AnimalVision.com .

Fans can check out sea turtles, some of the ocean’s most graceful animals; enjoy the antics of Antarctic penguins racing through the water or waddling around their icy habitat; and see a school of stingrays gliding past their screen.

“AnimalVision allows our guests and fans to deepen their connection with animals. For some guests, being able to see these remarkable animals at the park and then continuing that voyage of exploration at home serves as a reminder about the important role we all play in helping these animals. For those planning a park visit, seeing our animals up-close will get families excited about visiting in person,” said Anne Fischer, director of interactive marketing for SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment.

Animal habitat cameras have proven to be popular for SeaWorld and animal fans alike. In 2012 during a six-week partnership with Discovery Channel, fans across the country spent an astounding 1.5 million hours watching penguins in SeaWorld San Diego’s Penguin Encounter® via a streaming camera feed.

Building on that success, AnimalVision provides animal camera fans with an interactive experience that goes beyond simply watching the animals demonstrating their natural behaviors. The new platform will feature:
  • Video web portal designed to be viewed from any computer, smartphone or tablet
  • The ability to take, share and save photos of their favorite video moment
  • Live Twitter feeds share comments with other AnimalVision viewers and interactive “ask the experts” sessions with animal trainers and zoological staff
  • Education and conservation information and facts about each featured species
  • Downloadable games
  • Additional animal species will be showcased in the near future

Each of the six cameras is high definition for the best viewing experience possible, including multiple viewpoints of the habitats. The cameras at SeaWorld Orlando’s newest attraction, Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin™, show four different species of penguins both in the water and up on the ice. At Aquatica, SeaWorld’s Waterpark® in San Antonio, more than 200 stingrays and tropical fish including various species of angel, tang and butterfly fish are seen from shallow and deep underwater viewpoints. Turtle Reef® at SeaWorld San Diego features more than 40 threatened green sea turtles ranging in age from four to 50 years old with a view of the 280,000-gallon aquarium they call home.
animal vision.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby jray21 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27 pm

It's definitely a nicer quality than most webcams. I still miss Robb's turtle cam. :(

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 pm

If Sea World were to add another coaster, I think something like this would be great towards the front of the park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a1cRNZp6vI

This could work for SW's niche as they could market it as a balance between a family coaster and a thrill coaster; just like they did with Manta.
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:56 pm

While an Intamin Mega-Lite would be nice in this (or any) park, I don't believe something like that would be likely to happen due to the height ordinances that the park has reportedly struggled with for many years. I believe that Manta's low-to-the-ground design was specifically chosen with that restriction in mind.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:56 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Xmeister » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:40 pm

^ I've hear that they have had an easier time with it now that Donna Frye isn't in office anymore.

I still can't believe that they got Atlantis approved. It still looks like a bunch of grain silos. I've heard that the yellow tower that is just bare steel is apparently unfinished. Of course I also heard that the original JTA design (not the alien themed one) would've been much more beautiful if they had been able to get it approved. I remember seeing concept art of it when I was little, it featured a single tower with water running down the sides if my memory serves me correctly.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:51 pm

In San Diego, where ordinances are not coaster-friendly, I would think Sea World should focus more on dark ride-style attractions.

Turtle Trek is something I'd like to see in San Diego, especially since Turtle Reef is already there.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:In San Diego, where ordinances are not coaster-friendly, I would think Sea World should focus more on dark ride-style attractions.

Turtle Trek is something I'd like to see in San Diego, especially since Turtle Reef is already there.

Do we really want to see a dark ride after seeing what Orlando did with Penguins? It would be nice to see SWSD do a descent dark ride.
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby triggernel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 am

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:In San Diego, where ordinances are not coaster-friendly, I would think Sea World should focus more on dark ride-style attractions.

God no. Turtle Trek is an obnoxiously loud, terribly animated, nauseating, 4 minute commercial for picking up trash. I love SeaWorld to death, but the last two additions to Florida have really missed the mark.

Those webcams, though. Awesome!
Snoochie Boochie

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:24 am

Someotherguyuser wrote:

Do we really want to see a dark ride after seeing what Orlando did with Penguins? It would be nice to see SWSD do a descent dark ride.

Maybe a Dark Ride by a company that has built dark rides before? Sally with ETF?
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!