TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

I am really hoping that they are targeting to do more than 2 rides for the Avatar land. Personally, love to see a significant coaster be part of the experience. Probably too intense for the average WDW guest to do a themed B&M Flyer or Wingrider over a Pandora (Carsland/Everest) landscape. The concept art, while pretty, strikes me as 1 potentially dull float through "Small World of Pandora", and their twist of Universal's Spider-Man/Transfomers ride concept. With the movies scheduled for 2016-2018, hoping they can move a tad more quickly on the construction than some of their more recent projects. I also wonder if is not going to be developed for both Florida and China?

As technology gets more and more updated when it comes to

3D and holography and inter-'dimensional' visuals and films,

I think and believe they are really trying to give us the 3D

Experience, without the use of the glasses. Eventually.

I think we're a good decade or so from glasses free 3D. I expect to see holograms quite soon though. If you have control over where the viewer is I understand it's not too difficult to achieve a good hologram effect with new technology.

I'm intrigued to see how this expansion develops, the park is certainly in need of a large investment such as this!

his Imagineering team had not yet decided whether to render the media for the attraction in 3D.

If the quality ends up looking as terrible as Forbidden Journey, I'd be all for no 3D.

It's interesting how quickly the video sections of that ride have become dated; then again, it's tough to keep up with changes in technology.

his Imagineering team had not yet decided whether to render the media for the attraction in 3D.

If the quality ends up looking as terrible as Forbidden Journey, I'd be all for no 3D.

The quality issues with FJ came from the movement (minuscule vibrations) of the projector screens they were mounted on.

It didn't have anything to do with the quality in which the media was rendered.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/wildlife-wednesdays-rare-hartmanns-mountain-zebra-born-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

At Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, the arrival of a baby animal is always cause for celebration, but when the baby is a Hartmann’s mountain zebra, it’s even more rewarding for the animal care team. The population of this rare species of zebra is teetering at just under 50 animals in the U.S., and the Hartmann’s mountain zebra is listed as vulnerable on the IUCN red list of threatened species.

The filly was born earlier this month at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Guests are able to see her with her mom roaming the resort’s savanna.

Disney’s Animal Programs team is actively involved in the Hartmann’s mountain zebra Association of Zoos and Aquariums Species Survival Plan (SSP).

Did you know?

• There are three species of zebra, two of which live on the savannas at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. You can see plains zebras as well as Hartmann’s mountain zebras during your stay.

• If you look carefully, you can tell which zebra species is which by their stripes: plains zebras have wider stripes that wrap around their bellies. The Hartmann’s mountain zebras have thinner stripes that do not extend around the belly.

• There are many theories concerning the major function of the stripes on a zebra. Most scientists believe that the zebra’s stripes may serve to break up the outline of the zebra’s body in the herd and provide some camouflage when the zebra is standing in tall grass. And no two individual zebras look exactly alike.

• Like zebras, many local species of wildlife are threatened by loss of habitat. Creating natural habitats for the wildlife in your own backyard is a great way to help. You can do this by planting native trees, shrubs and flowers, which serve as food sources and nesting sites for the wildlife near you. To learn more about Disney’s conservation efforts, please visit http://www.disney.com/conservation

photo-2.thumb.jpg.6206a7b7e77976dc918e304fdfb78925.jpg

EN10-oct162013.thumb.jpg.21d46e632fc3da58dbc8cbb9f76acb03.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fron the Disney Parks Blog, ground has been broken for Pandora/Avatarland:

Earlier this week, leaders from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and Lightstorm Entertainment kicked off the largest expansion in Disney’s Animal Kingdom history with a ceremonial groundbreaking for the park’s new AVATAR-inspired land with blue, Na’vi-inspired shovels.

The area, which is being designed by Walt Disney Imagineering in partnership with “AVATAR” creator James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment, will be unlike anything ever experienced at a Disney park. Guests will experience the wonders of Pandora when they fly with banshees and explore a rich natural environment with mountains that float and interactive plants that glow at night.

“Disney’s Animal Kingdom is already home to some of our guests’ favorite attractions,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “With AVATAR, we are adding a spectacular new world and an exciting set of attractions unlike any our guests have experienced. The expansion now under way will make the park a true full-day, must-see experience.”

This week’s milestone is just the first step in a larger expansion for the park that will also include the debut of a new evening spectacular, as well as a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Check out the video below for a look inside the ceremony, and be sure to follow the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on this exciting expansion.

Edited by robbalvey

Oh cool! I was wondering when they were going to start. Great to see the first stages take effect. How long did Cars Land take from initial parking lot clearing ground work to opening?