Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Jackdude101 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I just got back from my trip last weekend when I visited Cedar Point. The meatball sub at the Joe Cool Cafe was better than I expected and I highly recommend it. Also, despite the 40-degree whether and cold drizzle, I got my GateKeeper credit. Yay!

Oh, I almost forgot something I experienced that you might find interesting: GATEKEEPER CAN RUN EVEN WHEN IT'S RAINING. Either there is some sort of new tech B&M created that allows this, or Cedar Point felt that the guests would become an angry mob and burn the whole park down if their newest roller coaster was not running (Raptor and Blue Streak nearby were not running, but Wicked Twister was running).

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:33 am

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/cedar-point/4814031

John Hildebrandt is used to being stopped as he walks down the Midway. He’s been the face of Cedar Point for decades.
This weekend, however, is different. Hildebrandt will take his last walk down the Midway as general manager of the park, where he first started working as a ride operator in 1969.

Hildebrandt has spent four decades at Cedar Point; the last eight as general manager of Cedar Fair’s flagship park.

His retirement officially begins after the end of the year, but his last season ends this weekend.

“What will you do?” Carsten Anderson, a coaster enthusiast and president of a Cedar Point fan site called CPRundown.com  , asked Hildebrandt when he saw the general manager walking the Midway.

Hildebrandt, who has an intense interest in history, particularly the American Civil War, told him he planned to continue writing.

Hildebrandt is part of the Erie County Civil War 150 group, which has been chronicling the historic role men and women from Erie County played in the war for an ongoing series in the Register coinciding with the 150 anniversary of the war.

Hildebrandt obliges when Anderson asks to take a quick photo with him.

“I do look forward to enjoying the park as a guest next summer. I have two grandchildren counting on it,” he said.

Hildebrandt wore a goofy park uniform similar to a Star Trek costume the summer of 1969 for his first assignment at the park. He worked as a ride operator at “Frontier Lift,” the old sky bucket attraction that took park guests from the west end of the Midway to what was then still a new attraction at Cedar Point, Frontier Town.

But his career with with the park more precisely began in 1974, when he answered an ad in the Cleveland Plain Dealer for a staff writer in CP’s public relations department. It was a far cry from what the west side Cleveland native thought he would do when he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English from Notre Dame and a master’s degree in teaching in North Carolina.

“I thought I would do that for a year,” Hildebrandt said.

He worked his way up through the corporate ranks, however, and never looked back. He was promoted to communications manager, marketing manager, director of marketing and then vice president of marketing from 1993 to 2004.

Hildebrandt spent a yearlong stint as a manager of Dorney Park in Pennsylvania before plunging into his final role — vice president and general manager of Cedar Point.

Looking back, the best part of the job has been the interaction with guests and employees, he said, walking the Midway and talking to people.

“Going to Cedar Point is a big deal for our guests. They are here with their families and good friends. It’s emotional; they are making memories they will treasure for a long time,” he said. “It’s important to show them a good time, to make it the best day of their summer. All of us who work here help make that happen and it is very, very satisfying.”

Marketing and media relations was Hildebrandt’s focus for about two-thirds of the years he spent with the company. Those were prosperous years when the park expanded past anyone’s expectations. Cedar Fair acquired 11 amusement parks, three outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and five hotels.

It also invented the bigger, better, faster, taller approach to roller coasters and marketing that established Cedar Point as the premiere thrill-ride destination.

“I was fortunate to be here in time of tremendous growth, not just for the park but for the company. When we started, it was just Cedar Point. We are a billion- dollar enterprise now,” Hildebrandt said.

The success of Cedar Fair and its parks, according to Hildebrandt, comes from the company’s ability to balance thrill rides and family offerings so there is something for everyone.

“This is a delicate sweet spot to get to,” Hildebrandt said.

He is excited about Cedar Fair’s future under new chief executive officer Matt Ouimet as well as Cedar Point under new general manager Jason McClure.

“It’s been a great ride,” he said, looking back on his time at Cedar Point.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby SbSteveZ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:10 am

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/Ride-On-John

I thought this Point Cast was a very well put together farewell to John, We got to learn about his close ties with the park and a little about his personal life. I loved it!

Slightly off topic now....
Why doesn't the marketplace have the Gatekeeper statix models? they were there waaay back in may but then vanished some time during the season, Were they discontinued or something...?
Last Coaster: Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point
100TH COASTER: Steel Force @ Dorney Park
RIDE ON!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Koasterking48 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:47 pm

^ Out of stock possibly? Or maybe they are exclusive to purchasing in the park only

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Jackdude101 wrote:Oh, I almost forgot something I experienced that you might find interesting: GATEKEEPER CAN RUN EVEN WHEN IT'S RAINING. Either there is some sort of new tech B&M created that allows this, or Cedar Point felt that the guests would become an angry mob and burn the whole park down if their newest roller coaster was not running (Raptor and Blue Streak nearby were not running, but Wicked Twister was running).

After working on Gatekeeper this past September and October, I have figured out this touchy rain policy. The rain policy on GK is based on the number of trains operating. With three trains, GK cannot operate in much more than a tiny drizzle. If it looks like its going to be like that for a decent amount of time, they will reduce to two train operation. If the rain gets more steady like a typical rain shower, they can go down to one train and stay open. We actually did one train operation on a couple occasions just for the sake of keeping the ride open when practically nothing else was. With all that being said, sometimes CP will elect to just hold GK operations if they think the rain will only last a short period of time instead of transferring trains on and off constantly.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 pm

SbSteveZ wrote:https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/Ride-On-John

I thought this Point Cast was a very well put together farewell to John, We got to learn about his close ties with the park and a little about his personal life. I loved it!

Slightly off topic now....
Why doesn't the marketplace have the Gatekeeper statix models? they were there waaay back in may but then vanished some time during the season, Were they discontinued or something...?

Definitely a well done video to pay tribute to a good guy. Congrats on the retirement, John!

I would love to have a job working public relations at a park like this. Already being in a customer quality assurance role for ten years (in the same company that I have worked 24 years for) has given me the experience to interface within all areas of our global corporate organization - both the positive and the negative aspects. It certainly is something that I really enjoy doing and if I could couple that into one of my favorite things to do in life (visit amusement parks), life would be even better!

I would like to think it might be just a tad less stressful working in an amusement park environment than where I currently reside, but I am sure that it would have it's sour/stressful moments as well.

Also in reading the article posted above...I miss the Frontier Lift and wish that they would/could put it back in. Made it so much easier to go multiple times from the front of the park to the back without wearing out your legs, feet and shoe soles.

And I would be perfectly fine if they needed to tear down Mantis, Iron Dragon and Shoot the Rapids in order to put it back where it once stood! ;)

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby coastercoaster5 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Does anyone know how many days with the premium fast pass is required at cedar point in late june 2014? I was planning on two.

Postby coasternut » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Coastermania 2014 confirmed on Point Buzz for Friday June 6. The countdown is on...
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

Postby GigaG » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:20 pm

^Awesome!

Anyways, does anybody know who made the east slides at Soak City (besides Dragster H20, obviously)?
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:34 am

Now that Wildcat is gone what has been done with the space it occupied? If nothing has been done, what has been rumored that will be done with the space?

PreviousNext