TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/take-the-scream-no-more-challenge-at-hong-kong-disneyland/

As much as I love celebrating Halloween at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park, I do love to see how our other parks – especially our international ones – celebrate this time of year.

This fall, Hong Kong Disneyland launched a new Halloween offering as a part of their Disney’s Haunted Halloween celebration. It’s called the “Scream-No-More Challenge” and allows guests to explore the seven lands at the park, stopping at attractions and scare checkpoints that test their ability to hold back screams. Checkpoints include a new Sideshow Carnival Extraordinaire, Grizzly Gulch Halloween Fair, Tomorrowland Party Zone, and more. (Some guests may even scream with delight when they see Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and friends dressed up in Halloween attire!).

The offering will run Thursdays-Sundays through October 31, at the park. Be sure to check out the photo gallery above for more.

HKD234000LARGE.jpg.a6a3f53454f5a725c9591f5d02b5ba01.jpg

HKG110000LARGE-600x330.jpg.3b599ad7e0a4d4c4835b95b072a53cbb.jpg

HKG111000LARGE-600x386.jpg.93297cde88f8d0b30a5fc18cf91c90eb.jpg

HKG220000LARGE-600x400.jpg.ae26eb289e3f81ae76132767ed81179a.jpg

HKG330000LARGE-600x426.jpg.70de49b7207ea5ff17807e3c9f3f8239.jpg

HKG440000LARGE-600x446.jpg.e00c39faaa2f482531f14cf456d3c42a.jpg

HKG550000LARGE-600x399.jpg.d9661f440b7f0154483052160a4f8460.jpg

HKG660000LARGE1-600x400.jpg.9fbbf2963b9c716652b34f0b7f2486ac.jpg

HKG770000LARGE-600x400.jpg.cfbc650ef1ea1b90d301b8cdfd7b7f48.jpg

HKG880000LARGE-600x400.jpg.9b8fb487af6222d7a970a4c2b0cb9bcb.jpg

HKG990000LARGE1-422x465.jpg.e24e730d8e3759e0fed61e43f1be0bc3.jpg

A real haunt at a Disney park? Looks amazing. Wish they would do it in the States too (the Studios at WDW and DCA at DLR could be the scary park, while the others do the friendly events).

^I think there was a rumor that Disney was planning some sort of "adult" Halloween event for the Studios park a few years ago, but not much came of it. Most of the tram ride and city streets are just "wasted space," anyway, and would be ideal for some sort of haunt.

^I've always thought it would be really cool to see the Great movie ride transformed into some sort of haunt attraction, seems like you could easily turn some of thoses room into creepy scenes, maybe even let part of the attraction be a walk through haunt?

(the munchkin land scene has all sorts of terrifying potential.....)

I need to learn more Chinese, to enjoy this even more, next time lol!

But even so, the park was decorated really nicely back in 2012.

And the lineups for a few of these haunt attractions were huge!

I need to learn more Chinese, to enjoy this even more, next time lol!

But even so, the park was decorated really nicely back in 2012.

And the lineups for a few of these haunt attractions were huge!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some English parts somewhere, unlike Tokyo disney they seemed to have almost as much English shows as they did Chinese, although unlike when I rode Jaws in Japanese and found it awesome despite not understanding a word (seriously she had the highest pitched voice i'd ever heard right outside a Japanese cartoon right until the shark showed up when suddenly the terminator was coming out of her mouth) the English version of jungle cruise was really dull. The lady greeted everyone onto the boat and then spent the rest of the journey only looking forward and ignoring the guests with most comments being "on your left/right there are...." Kind of takes the fun out of the finale when you hear a flat voice saying "and now two river gods on the right". Granted it's not her first language and her English is better than my Chinese but I found the Cantonese version much more enjoyable, i didn't understand it but the skipper was laughing and had more emotion in his voice and made a good atmosphere on the boat (although the cast members did try and point out to me there was an English line when i joined the Cantonese line to board the boat and seemed a little confused why I wanted to try it in a language I didn't understand)

The times I've been on the English Jungle Cruise boats, they do try and interact and tell the jokes. But it's like they don't understand what the jokes mean so it just falls a bit flat. At least they tried though.

Hong Kong Disney has a lot of English and most of the Halloween stuff last year was in all three of the "official" languages of Hong Kong. Cantonese, Mandarin and English. There is more detail though in Cantonese, I think. Sometimes it's difficult to tell. They're pretty good at incorporating the three languages into the parks.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of English speaking boats. I like embracing the culture even if I don't understand it. Jaws in Japan was epic and I didn't have a clue what was going on - just really enjoyed being there!

Interesting point but we know the story and have been on the ride here in the States. It makes the ride more interesting hearing it in a foreign language for us. I can see in HK where a large portion of the people speak English but have never been to the States may make the ride understandable.

The Jungle Cruise jokes may not translate well between English, Chinese, and Japanese. But all Jaws requires is for the skipper to get really excited, and the Japanese are very good at that.

About this JC's route. Don't know if they all do this.

We thought the funniest part of the TDL Jungle Cruise, was when one boat went

under The Falls, and one (ours) had to turn left to avoid The Falls. Both skippers

(ours and a female) screaming one - very long - sound - in the same note.

It was hysterical and we all applauded them both, as the boats went on their way.

And of course, we had a second time doing it, when our boat had to go under The Falls.

Hysterical. And nothing in any language was said, there. And we all understood it.

We did ride the English speaking boat at HKDL back in 2012, and it didn't 'land' with

most of us that well. I think by the end of it,we were all wishing it should have been

in any language but English, lol.

Pardon for the sidetrack to TDL.

Trying to price an on-property hotel room for my pre-Scandi stopover in June next year, has anyone used their online booking system? The latest possible date it will accept is December 31, 2013, which seems odd. Am I better off just calling up?

^ I've always used their on-line booking portal for my trips to HKDL. Very simple and reliable to use.

I rarely make reservations via the telephone - especially in foreign countries where language issues can result in screwed-up reservations.

Plus, there are very frequently specials available on their site if you click here:

http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl/en_US/special/listing?name=SpecialOffersOverviewPage

It's not surprising that they have not opened up reservations yet for 2014. Travel patterns in Asia are a little different - and they may be waiting until their 2014 budget is finalized before opening up the rates. Especially important since the busiest time of the year for the resort, Chinese New Year, will be at the end of January next year. Just have a little patience.