TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

Just from that picture and that description, to me it sounds like the LIM may have fired or done something it wasn't supposed to, which caused the ride to e-stop and cause damage to the train.

The car doesn't have to fly off the track in a ball of flames to technically be considered a derailment. (Though would be cool to watch )

There's only a few millimeters of clearance for the LSMs/LIMs along the underside of the car. A simple wheel de-lamination (Polyurethane partially or completely comes off of the wheel hub) will cause the car to shift enough to where it will make contact with the LIMs/LSMs.

Also, as Joey said, a LIM/LSM mis-fire will cause the car to shift suddenly which may have been root cause of issue as well.

1381721_10151672548055671_1489940357_n.jpg

Screamscape FB

A reader posted that picture to the Screamscape FB page.

• 4 months later...

Thanks to Goliath513 who keyed me in that Elitch Gardens recently made an announcement for 2014. It appears to be a old school Ring of Fire.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_25287065/elitch-gardens-adds-new-7-story-thrill-ride

Elitch Gardens adds new 7-story thrill ride

The Denver Post

Posted: 03/06/2014

Elitch Gardens Theme and Water Park announced Thursday the addition of a new 7-story thrill ride that will debut this season.

Slated to open in May, the Brain Drain is a 360-degree steel loop that sends thrill seekers forwards, backwards and upside-down.

Marketing director Tracy Durham said it's the first new thrill ride at the 124-year-old park in a decade.

"Guests can let their hair fly as they shuttle back and forth with suspense before wildly looping seven stories in the air," Durham stated in a news release announcing the new ride. "With back to back seats facing either direction, each ride on Brain Drain is a unique experience with great views of the Denver skyline and the Rocky Mountains."

Elitch Gardens is scheduled to open for the season on May 3. Season pass holders will have an early chance to ride Brain Drain on May 2.

Edited by larrygator

Personally, I think Elitch should get something better than a Ring of Fire that is usually found at Carnivals. But hey, any new ride is good for the park and I do think that they're fun rides. Hope this works out well for them.

The parks building Ring of Fire's are starting to add up. Some have been portable, (Clemeton, Wild Waves, Castle Park, Cliff's AP) but others are putting in ground-mounts: Galveston Pleasure Pier and Elitch. Larson is really making a name for itself in the parks now with the drop towers and Flying Scooters as well.

Personally, I think a more interesting ride with higher capacity is a 2-Sweep Zamperla Hawk (think: Kennywoods Aero 360)

Here are some pictures I took last summer of the park model super loop at the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. I zoomed in and took screenshots to get just the ride, but there is still some obstructions from other attractions. I don't have any of just the ride. IMHO, it doesn't look carny-ish at all. It's looks very nice, has no support wires, no trailer, and looks very permanent to me. It's a very fun ride, too; definitely something the whole family can ride together. This particular one is placed on the pier so that part hangs off the side of the pier and it feels like your diving into the water. It's a very awesome sensation. It also has a killer light package. It's all LED lights that you can see from several blocks down seawall blvd.

iPhone photos, sorry.

image.thumb.jpg.d0caaf878d3354e04878df2e055956fd.jpg

With an added instagram filter . . .

image.thumb.jpg.bc07a1e64320c203ae528553ca4a187d.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7605b0667bd6ad4bdf72202382f86e91.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.819290f56f5bfd53ef3e7700865ccc72.jpg

And a nerdy POV shot I took before lowering down my harness.

image.thumb.jpg.c055ea2b9aa459714a0bbdb648e3a5ab.jpg

Here's a shot from a few streets down. Can you guess which one is the super loop?

Why did I think they were getting a Frisbee-style ride when I first heard of this? I think because the KMG Afterburner is called the Fireball in some places. As for this, while it's nothing groundbreaking, I'm sure it'll be well-received. I usually try to ride these, though I've skipped a few, and they're at least as fun as any other swinging-and-inverting ride.

• 3 months later...

So as nobody else has updated about Brain Drain, I'll just say something from today, my 5th trip to the park this season and 4th time on the ride. The ride is very fun, much better then the often-sketchy Fireball/Ring-O-Fire fairground rides. I looks very professional from the queue to the ride set up and the park did a very good job on this attraction. It also has a slightly better capacity compared to the fairground rides, which helps with lines. It has been popular with guests, with the ride never getting a line shorter then 30 minutes even on a weekday (But this may be due to the fact that the park has been doing very well recently, with most major coasters and rides still getting hour lines on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, even with the popular water park open). The hangtime and flipping is an awesome experience, and it has a good length ride cycle. I'd actually like to see more parks buy the park-model fireball ride as it is a popular addition and is a great ride. Sorry, no pictures for now but maybe if I bring a camera next time I can get a few shots. Thanks!

As of yesterday and today, Half-Pipe has reopened. It may have reopened at the beginning of this week but I'm not sure. The park still has the ride listed as closed on the signs at the entrance of the park showing which rides will not be operating, but they have managed to open the ride a few hours into the day and keep it going the rest of the day.

It's still a kickass ride

That is why parks don't buy Intamin roller coasters. High maintenance! B&M is making money. Cedar Fair is the biggest customers and after i305 they quit with Intamin.

I personally love intamin rides. Although it is sad that the last one built in north america was back in 2012 (Skyrush).

That is why parks don't buy Intamin roller coasters. High maintenance! B&M is making money. Cedar Fair is the biggest customers and after i305 they quit with Intamin.

I personally love intamin rides. Although it is sad that the last one built in north america was back in 2012 (Skyrush).

Maverick at Cedar Point is my favorite Intamin even though I love B&M more for the smoothness and unique lap bars.

The amount of newer Intamin and B&M coasters built in the past three years are virtually the same. The only difference is that the newer Intamin coasters are being built outside the United States.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from the park with some pictures of Brain Drain. First off, let me say this ride far exceeded my expectations since my only prior ride like this was an old Ring of Fire carnival ride. This turned out to be a relaxing thrill ride with great hang time. Rode it three times today and the best ride I got was in one of the front rows. Elitch's did a great job brightening up this section of the park with the new ride. A huge improvement over the dilapidated Rainbow site here before.

P1010271_1.jpg.50a4147070712ef8bc6324cf8c7fb993.jpg

P1010275_1.jpg.8ae74fceda98fb02bab12a37bcf996d5.jpg

P1010276_1.jpg.3fe7cd4641af35bb2b45ac02714ca845.jpg

• 6 months later...

Get Spun Around, Swallowed Up, and Spit Out on the Fierce Hydro-Beast. Experience the ALL-NEW 6 Story SLIDEZILLA and Be the First to Tame the Creature!

IAAPA Award-Winning – 2014’s Best Water Attraction

The six story water slide accelerates four riders through a curved chute and into a swirling 24 foot bowl before unexpectedly dropping 57 feet and then up into a massive four-story high tornado wave. After cresting the fierce water wall, the riders slide into an exhilarating splashdown.

Fun Facts

- Colorado’s First Hybrid Slide

- Two Thrilling Features:BehemothBowl & TornadoWAVE

- Height: Six stories

- Vertical Drop: 57 feet

- Vessel: 4-person clover-shaped tube

- Colors: Blue, Purple, & Teal with Yellow tubes

- Guests must be 48” tall to ride.

- Manufactured by: ProSlide Technology, Inc., Ottowa, Ontario, Canada

Content from Elitch Gardens' website.