TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

From what I have been hearing SDC 2015 project more than likely will be intamin or b&m. They say it will be their largest investment to date. Also it is nothing from CC.

I'm not trying to tell a lie. I saw it on the sdcfans forum

Rumors about SDC for 2015 are all over the place. Screamscape reports the Geyser Gulch renovation/launch tower is coming then, other sources say B&M coaster, and I'm sure there are other rumors. I heard from a fellow enthusiast than what you're saying about a B&M coaster is correct. But there are too many possibilities and none of them are supported by park management, so 2015 could bring anything at this point.

We'll how would the park management support any idea for a new ride and let people know about it without just spilling the beans about a new attraction. Not trying to to start a fight just trying to support a topic.

From what I have been hearing SDC 2015 project more than likely will be intamin or b&m. They say it will be their largest investment to date. Also it is nothing from CC.

I'm not trying to tell a lie. I saw it on the sdcfans forum

Rumors about SDC for 2015 are all over the place. Screamscape reports the Geyser Gulch renovation/launch tower is coming then, other sources say B&M coaster, and I'm sure there are other rumors. I heard from a fellow enthusiast than what you're saying about a B&M coaster is correct. But there are too many possibilities and none of them are supported by park management, so 2015 could bring anything at this point.

We'll how would the park management support any idea for a new ride and let people know about it without just spilling the beans about a new attraction. Not trying to to start a fight just trying to support a topic.

Six Flags St. Louis posted pics of the Hannibarrells and park employees stated Tsunami Soaker was coming. Six Flags Great America pretty much revealed that they would be adding a wooden coaster a week before they officially announced it. I'm sure there are other examples.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was a B&M coaster in 2015 (even though the Geyser Gulch replacement is more likely). But the SDC Fan forums aren't reliable sources.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone noticed how loud outlaw run is getting. It has that sort of tire screeching when it has airtime and now it screams on turns. Does anyone know why it is doing this

It's just the wheels because the train is literally trying to pull itself off the track. I actually want to ask SDC how many wheels do they estimate they will go through in a season.

Has anyone noticed how loud outlaw run is getting. It has that sort of tire screeching when it has airtime and now it screams on turns. Does anyone know why it is doing this

It's done that off and on throughout the season. I imagine it's most noticeable just before some sort of maintenance. Periodic wheel replacement would make sense.

http://sdc.silverdollarcity.com/kapau/WhiteWater.html?sf18696515=1

Dare to Drop on The Biggest Thrill in White Water History!

KaPau Plummet, coming Spring 2014, will feature two dueling 240-foot slides, each launching from a trap door in a near-vertical body drop, exceeding the thrills of any water ride ever built at White Water, the 13-acre tropically-themed Branson water park. Those brave enough to dare the drop will experience a heart-pumping thrill beginning in an encapsulated slide atop a 40-foot tower. This breath-taking attraction will send you free falling at 26 feet per second before you make your final splash! Be one of the first to dare the drop in 2014 at White Water!

1250071573_ScreenShot2013-10-31at12_16_39AM.jpg.88a24a6b8aa953357194e3b79654e57c.jpg

Yeah, I think the screaming/screeching sound is just part of the ride, not a sign that the wheels are wearing. I know we heard it consistently in August. It was actually funny because you could count each sound off in the distance and know when the ride was about to come up on the barrel roll finale.

My first time at the Old Time Christmas event was great. The lighting is one of the most impressive displays I have ever seen. It definitely makes you go wow. It was chilly, but the rides at night were awesome and the shows were wonderful.

We entered and had a lunch buffet with Santa. This is definitely oriented towards children around the kindergarten age. The price is more than the normal buffets, and if you want seconds you have to go back up quickly because once the "entertainers" come out, they sort of block every path leading back to the food. But all the drinks are free and the food selection is pretty good, especially the cobbler.

Afterwards we picked up our Season Pass ornaments. They can be picked up at the schoolhouse, and are Outlaw Run sheriff badges (of course). The lines are very long since it is also the site to renew your passes, so make sure to rush here early.

After taking my dad on Outlaw Run for the first time, we went to go see the Christmas saloon show. The jokes are a little "edgier", well for a family theme park, and the show is more audience interactive. All around a better show than normal, and I like the normal saloon show a lot.

It's A Wonderful Life was a great show. The projection and sets were well done, and the singing and acting was pretty good too. They did a good job reducing the movie into an hour long musical.

We went to Thunderation, Grandfather's Mansion, and Wildfire next, and went through shops in between. It was time for dinner afterwards, so my dad and I headed to the new pizza restaurant. The pizzas were actually really good, but what else would you expect from Silver Dollar City?

Christmas Carol had great singing voices and a cool set. But some scenes just dragged on and on. They could cut this show down to 30 minutes and it'd be just as good, if not better. One of the weaker adaptations I've seen of Christmas Carol, but the other ones have all been huge Broadway style shows at the Fox, and this is a theme park musical. So by theme park standards this show is amazing.

Powder Keg and Outlaw Run were our final rides of the night. In the dark, these two rides become even more amazing than they are during the day. Nothing else much to say.

I could spend a whole day walking around the park, doing nothing but looking at the lights. This festival is definitely my favorite, and I hope I get to return soon.

I there any other park, besides Holiday World, that has Christmas events this early?

It sounds like a fun event. I'd love to hit Silver Dollar City and Dollywood for Christmas events. A buffet at Silver Dollar City sounds really good, especially if they had unlimited Cinnamon Bread.

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release about the return of their holiday festival, An Old Time Christmas!

Silver Dollar City rings in its brightest season with one of the most acclaimed holiday festivals in America, An Old Time Christmas, presented November 2 - December 30 at the Branson, Missouri theme park.

The festival includes the return of the popular production It's a Wonderful Life, adapted from the Frank Capra classic, presenting a musical interpretation of the inspirational story that is a worldwide Christmas favorite, voted the #1 "Inspirational Film of All Time" by the American Film Institute. The show also features unique special effects and a talented cast of 14 singer/actors.

It's a Wonderful Life joins Silver Dollar City's acclaimed Broadway-style production, A Dickens' Christmas Carol, another original musical adaptation of a famous classic which is also featured during the festival. A Dickens' Christmas Carol includes elaborate sets and visual effects, flying spirits, pyrotechnic special effects and a talented cast of 15, accompanied by a live band.

A special musical presentation of the Living Nativity, written for Silver Dollar City, presents the story of the birth of Christ through the point of view of the Angel Gabriel. This original, dramatic production brings the story to life with a cast of 11 actors.

An Old Time Christmas transforms the 1880s-style park into an evening wonderland, featuring the Christmas on Main Street light and sound show, 1,000 decorated Christmas trees, a Holiday Light Parade, the two Broadway-style productions, festive holiday foods and over five million lights - and rides too. In temperatures down to 42 degrees, guests can soar into the night while viewing the park's lights from above.

The 5-Story Special Effects Christmas Tree is the park centerpiece, a towering visual icon that comes to life at dusk each evening when the Christmas on Main Street shows begin. During the shows, the massive tree blazes in synchronization to the musical movements of Christmas songs -- up to 100 light changes per second -- while lights on buildings, in hanging canopies over Main Street and on Christmas trees around the Square flash along with it, accompanied by surround-sound, immersing guests in the experience. While technologically incredible, the tree is "green" too, operating with energy-saving LED* lights.

Since its debut more than two decades ago, Silver Dollar City's An Old Time Christmas has become one of the country's most recognized events for spectacular lighting and world-class entertainment. Profiled as one of the nation's top holiday celebrations by USA Today, CNN Travel, The Travel Channel, Good Morning America, AOL Travel, Yahoo Travel and MSN.com, the festival features dazzling elements throughout the 100-acre park. The colorful Holiday Light Parade, with musical floats covered in lights, winds through the streets of the City each evening as costumed characters interact with guests along the parade route.

Fine craftsmanship is also showcased, as the park's 100 demonstrating craftsmen create one-of-a-kind handmade holiday items, from blown glass ornaments, angels and snowmen to pottery dessert platters and scotch-pine scented candles. Guests sing Christmas carols as they ride the Silver Dollar Steam Train and for nighttime thrills, most of the rides and the park's six roller coasters are open after dark with great views of the lights from above. Guests can try the world's steepest drop in the dark on the new ground-breaking wood coaster Outlaw Run, named Best New Ride of 2013 worldwide!

Silver Dollar City presents the Midwest Living Culinary & Craft School, offering classes on holiday specialties. The tastes of the season are in abundance throughout the park, including a prime rib buffet and traditional favorites such as turkey with apple-raisin dressing. Festive holiday treats from apple dumplings to hot wassail can be found throughout the park, and the bakery cooks up homemade fruitcakes, cookies and breads. For kids, there's a lunch with Santa, available weekends throughout the festival.

During An Old Time Christmas, Silver Dollar City is open Thursdays through Sundays through December 22, plus Wednesday, November 27, closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and open daily December 26-30. Hours are 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. most days, with extended hours on Saturdays - check the website for exact schedules. Information: 800-831-4FUN(386) or visit www.silverdollarcity.com.

The tastes of the season are in abundance throughout the park, including a prime rib buffet and traditional favorites such as turkey with apple-raisin dressing. Festive holiday treats from apple dumplings to hot wassail can be found throughout the park, and the bakery cooks up homemade fruitcakes, cookies and breads.

Just this alone makes the event worth it!

A couple quick questions about Silver Dollar City:

I'm trying to plan a trip down for the holiday event, thinking about the weekend after Christmas. Will the crowds be huge?? Is there another weekend that would be better??

Coming from St. Louis I know the weather will be cold, but what is the possibility of catching most the rides open?? MY kids won't mind the cold.

Last one, I was looking around on ebay the other day for Silver Dollar City merchandise and found some older mugs that sold for $25 each. Are older mugs still good for a refill program?? What years do the mugs have to be from??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

^The weekend after Christmas should be good. The crowds vary based on weather, but after Christmas is not known to be a busy time, and they have a lot of last-minute deals going on.

The rides will be open unless it's a cold weekend and it dips below 40. Not much more to it than that, but it's still worth the trip IMO even if they aren't (I happen to be into the whole crafts/shows aspect of the place though).

The mugs SHOULD still be honored for refills based on the year they were purchased, unless they were purchased in one of the recent odd years such as 2011 when they started being more screwy with the mug refill perks. However, for $25, you can probably just buy one in the park and get a few refills for not much more.

A couple quick questions about Silver Dollar City:

I'm trying to plan a trip down for the holiday event, thinking about the weekend after Christmas. Will the crowds be huge?? Is there another weekend that would be better??

Coming from St. Louis I know the weather will be cold, but what is the possibility of catching most the rides open?? MY kids won't mind the cold.

Last one, I was looking around on ebay the other day for Silver Dollar City merchandise and found some older mugs that sold for $25 each. Are older mugs still good for a refill program?? What years do the mugs have to be from??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here's the current weather guide for their rides:

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/attractions/rides/Ride-Temperature-Guidelines.aspx

I don't have time to look it up, but I'm almost positive there was a news article a couple of months ago that explained that they would not be adding physical attractions next year, but hinted at the Geyser Gulch project for 2015. They always take a 'year off' to focus on maintenance and other aspects of the park after adding a huge attraction anyway.