Roller Coaster Rankings

Share science-based roller coaster ranking methods here.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Roller Coaster Rankings

Postby Jackdude101 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:47 am

Here are some smaller examples for individual parks.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay:
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.PNG

Postby Jackdude101 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:48 am

Dollywood:
Dollywood.PNG

Postby Jackdude101 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:49 am

Cedar Point:

This is a revised version of the one I posted the other day.

I made a significant change to the spreadsheet that deals with outliers in the six separate data sets. Now, instead of a roller coaster with a very large stat having an extremely high score in that category, there is now a maximum score that can be obtained and once a score reaches that point, it cannot go any higher. Because of this change, extremely tall roller coasters like Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster got knocked down a few notches.

I feel it looks a lot more legit now (Cedar Point, at least).
Cedar Point (Revised).PNG

Postby Jackdude101 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:32 am

Now for something a little different...all of the roller coasters on the spreadsheet in Florida:
Florida.PNG

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Here's my coaster rankings for Darien Lake
Darien Lake coaster rankings.jpg
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Postby Jackdude101 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 pm

^^^Thank you for making the first reply not made by me with independent ranking thingies attached.

I'll post what my spreadsheet says about Darien Lake's roller coasters:

It appears to be mostly the same, except for the way Predator is placed. I deduct points automatically from wood roller coasters using traditional tech after they reach a certain speed, the logic being that faster old-style roller coasters equals a rougher ride. You could say I'm "racist" against old-style wood roller coasters because I don't like a rough ride. Old-style wood roller coasters are not entirely up a creek, though, because I add lots of points (again, through automated formulas) for roller coasters that are a certain number of years old or more and the points increase the further away that they get from the average age (currently 23 November 1999). So really, the only wood roller coasters that drop down the rankings are larger ones that are new(ish) construction and still use obsolete tech, such as Predator at Darien Lake.

BTW, I'm assuming you are basing your rankings by your personal experience, but let me know if there is any sort of numerical things or formulas that you used.
Darien Lake.PNG

Postby Jackdude101 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 pm

^^^Just for kicks, I removed the ride comfort scores from the spreadsheet to test the results and in this scenario they match your rankings 100%. Interesting.
Darien Lake (Ride Comfort Scores Removed).PNG

Postby Jackdude101 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:47 pm

I just finished making two big changes to the spreadsheet.

Change #1: opening date score (historical value score):
Previously, the opening date I had been using for each roller coaster was the opening date in the park where it is currently located. The opening date I now use is the date it opened in its original location (the score for Wild One at SFA increased significantly due to this change as the difference between the time it opened originally and the time it opened at SFA is about 70 years). This effected every roller coaster on my spreadsheet known to have been relocated, which account for about 10% of the total number of roller coasters. I made this change to create better results in the 2nd change below.

Change #2: ride comfort score (how-likely-that-you-will-not-slip-a-disk-in-your-spinal-cord-due-to-the-roughness-of-the-ride score):
Previously, I gave a lower score to old tech wood roller coasters that were beyond a certain top speed and gave all of the other roller coasters the maximum score. I decided that that scoring method was not good enough, so I added a second component to the ride comfort score based on its original opening date, the idea being that roller coasters of any kind will get rougher as they age. Now, if a roller coaster is an old tech wood roller coaster, its ride comfort score is determined by how fast it goes and how old it is, while all the others are only judged by how old they are (the roller coaster with the lowest ride comfort score turned out to be the Coney Island Cyclone).

Attached is a revised snapshot of the spreadsheet of the top 50 wood roller coasters with only old tech ones shown. To clarify, an "old tech" wood roller coaster is one that does not use Intamin prefab track, Rocky Mountain Construction Topper Track, GCI Millennium Flyer trains, Gravity Group Timberliner trains, or has an unconventional configuration like a boblsled (Flying Turns) or a virginia reel (Tyrolean Tubtwist).
Top 50 Wood Roller Coasters (Old Tech Only).PNG
Last edited by Jackdude101 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:26 pm.

Postby Jackdude101 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Here is all of the data in the spreadsheet in two tables ranking the roller coasters by the country in which they are presently located and the country in which the headquarters of their respective manufacturers and/or designers are presently located.
Country Rankings.PNG

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 am

You should create a new rule that any classic wood coaster now running a Morgan train is immediately deleted from the list. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that the Dragon Coaster and the KIDDY COASTER at Rye Playland was on your original wood coaster list but Phoenix wasn't... I see that it's on there now because of the historical value score but if that's the only reason Phoenix is appearing on a list of top wood coasters then you need to re-consider the way you're calculating this.

It's very cool, but it needs a lot of tweaking. I'm glad you fixed that problem with Kiddy coaster, but the fact that the Dragon Coaster is still on the list tells me there's a major problem. That's a glorified kiddy coaster.

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness