TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

I think they can improve upon Carsland quite a bit. RSR, is stunning, but quite a bit of that is the themed scenery. The actual high speed section could be improved if the cars were actual roller coaster trains. Love to see RSR as a multi launcher coaster with a long layout. DHS could use a new coaster experience. Luigis tires to me would work well with the trackless ride vehicles. The air hockey version is just ok. Maters flat is passable, although I feel it woud work better if guests could rotate the vehicle like a teacup as you go through the mild whip motion of the ride.

Eh, two launched coasters in the same park may not work. I think a ride similar to the originial RSR would be cool if it were faster. For some reason, even on Test Track, I feel like the high-speed part at the end is a let down. To me, it just doesn't have an out-of-control feeling like a launched coaster, it just feels like going down a highway in a convertible. But the reason is, they really aren't supposed to be extreme thrill rides, but thrill rides the whole family can enjoy, which is what DHS needs.

I'd love to see the trackless cars put to work on a Cars style dark ride, you'd lose the thrill of the race and speed of racers but I'd love to see one giant radiator springs with tons of trackless cars together, visiting the different buildings and passing many other guests in their trackless cars cruising on the main street, imagine if the characters of cars land instead of being animatronic were also mounted on the trackless vehicles with some in the buildings (such as luigi in the tyre shop) but randomly bumping into Lightning and Mater just wandering around the town.

A guy can dream.

Although, your idea is extremely far-fetched, it sounds amazing.

Like what if when the cars passed through a restaurant, you could just grab food off a conveyor belt or something, scan it on the way out on your Magic pass thingy, and at the end of your ride you got a bill.

I wish the Imagineers read these forums.

I simply don't think we will see a clone of Cars Land in Florida for 2 main reasons. First, the cars franchise isn't the hot ticket anymore. Though its still doing amazingly well in California, there are a lot of new things coming up like Star Wars. Second, with Star Wars being the front runner at the moment, there wont be enough money to make a Cars Land clone and a Star Wars land. We very well could be able to walk down the streets of Radiator springs soon, and might have 2-3 flats or a small coaster. But they cant build both and have enough money to make them both as good as they need to be.

I simply don't think we will see a clone of Cars Land in Florida for 2 main reasons. First, the cars franchise isn't the hot ticket anymore. Though its still doing amazingly well in California, there are a lot of new things coming up like Star Wars. Second, with Star Wars being the front runner at the moment, there wont be enough money to make a Cars Land clone and a Star Wars land. We very well could be able to walk down the streets of Radiator springs soon, and might have 2-3 flats or a small coaster. But they cant build both and have enough money to make them both as good as they need to be.

I agree, I don't think we will see a Cars Land in Florida. It seems that Disney is some what trying to add unique signature attractions to each park. I would look for a Star Wars land first as they try and cash in on their investment.

Eh, two launched coasters in the same park may not work.

Let's see:

Cedar Point (3 launched coasters)

Kings Dominion (3 launched coasters)

Kings Island (2 launched coasters)

Knotts Berry Farm (2 launched coasters)

Six Flags Magic Mountain (about to be 2 launched coasters)

and that is just off the top of my head.

Edited by ernierocker

Aren't we talking about a planning period of several years here with both these expansions? I'm not sure why we should assume that the Cars Land expansion has to be at a smaller scale than the Star Wars one. As the parent of two toddlers, Cars merchandise is still very easy to find in stores and seems to still be very popular among children. I know the last movie didn't do nearly as well as the 2nd movie, but that has never stopped sequels from being made in the past.

It definitely doesn't have to be an exact copy of Radiator Springs Racers, and most certainly not a launched coaster. I would personally love a trackless ride (like Wes suggested) but more on a major scale like Ratatouille. And then add the a themed section to go with it.

Aren't we talking about a planning period of several years here with both these expansions? I'm not sure why we should assume that the Cars Land expansion has to be at a smaller scale than the Star Wars one. As the parent of two toddlers, Cars merchandise is still very easy to find in stores and seems to still be very popular among children. I know the last movie didn't do nearly as well as the 2nd movie, but that has never stopped sequels from being made in the past.

It definitely doesn't have to be an exact copy of Radiator Springs Racers, and most certainly not a launched coaster. I would personally love a trackless ride (like Wes suggested) but more on a major scale like Ratatouille. And then add the a themed section to go with it.

My point was they would not build both lands at the same time in the same 5 year period. That would be over 1 billion spent on just the two lands if we were to keep them comparable, with the rest of the park still suffering from a disjointed theme. It would make more sense to follow the same plan that they did at DCA. One large finale of a major land (Star Wars), a few smaller rides/attractions added throughout the park, and tons of general upgrades and improvements park wide to pull the whole thing together.

Cars is still very much strong, but I didn't say Cars wasn't popular with consumers, I said it wasn't the hot ticket at WDI right now. I just don't see a Cars Land happening like we once thought before they bought out Lucas. But rather a truncated version with all the shopping and dining plus 1-2 small rides.

^My posts are just based around the speculation from the Screamscape report that both lands are currently being developed/proposed by WDI. I certainly don't take everything posted on Screamscape as gospel, but if the proposed Cars Land is supposedly taking over the Lights Motors Action show, I don't see how they could just put in small capacity rides to replace that. They would need to put something in that would accommodate all of the people that would of normally been watching the stunt show throughout the day. Sure, the new Stars Land will eat up a lot of people, but they will likely lose the Indiana Jones Stunt show as well which eats up a crapload of people a day.

Mainly, I tend to favor a larger Cars Land because I really want a trackless ride like Ratatouille in Florida.

Quick thoughts from having visited for the first time in years (with 3 year old and wife who were there for the first time in tow...)

The park seems ridiculously disjointed now that all of the movie making stuff is gone. My wife noted that the backlot tour took you through a parking lot, wardrobe, and catastrophe canyon... but no backlot. Other oddities that stuck out to me this time is Rock N Roller Coaster is barely themed to Hollywood, and the symbol of the park since they covered up the Chinese Theater has nothing to do with film either. The whole thing is broken, and my wife put it up with California Adventure as one of the worst park's she has ever been too. MGM was my favorite every previous time I had been there, including shortly after it opened. I had to agree though - Other than Tower of Terror and Fantasmic, I could care less about the rest of the park.

The park has almost nothing for a 3 year old to do. Special thanks to Disney for putting Lightning McQueen in the same stunt show where you *light a dude on fire*. That took a lot of explaining. But seriously, it was hard to entertain my son here because there were few things that he really wanted to see or do.

I would never ride Toy Story Midway Mania again.

Tower of Terror (this one only) is still my second favorite ride ever made. Everything about it is amazing, and it gave me the best drop sequence I've ever had on it too, which was a nice bonus. At the end of the ride, it took us all the way down to the screen at the bottom, turned it on for a second like the ride was over, and then shot us back up for one last drop. That's the sort of surprise stuff that theming can do for a ride.

We were able to catch the second showing of Fantasmic after the first was canceled, which made my 3 year old really happy. It had technical difficulties however (it was paused shortly after it began, but it did resume) which I found interesting but no one else in our group noticed. Amongst them, the transformation of the witch into the old hag was done without the brew with fireworks in front of her (so you could watch her change costumes since there was no smoke obscuring it), the snake did not walk, and the sound was about a half second off from the video, although the effects worked. Made for an interesting show. My wife noted how much more impressive the Disneyland version is. I agree.

I don't know if Star Wars and Cars can save this park. It feels like it needs a bit of a California Adventure overhaul to really fix it, but I also think that since it is one of four and together they bring down the crowds, it won't get it. It will be interesting to see what they come up with though.

• 2 months later...

If the rumor about Disney's Hollywood Studios receiving a 500 Million dollar gift is true, what do you think they'll spend it on? When DCA got 1 Billion they spent it on; Buena Vista Street, Cars Land, Little Mermaid, World of Color, Refurbishment of almost every ride in the Boardwalk area as well as Toy Story Midway Mania. That's 2 New Lands, 1 New Ride, 1 New Show, and about 5 or more Re-Themed Ride as well as other park improvements totals to 1 Billion? DHS got about half so to split the rumors most likely Star Wars Land will get the big chunk, Cars Land/Monsters Inc. will get another chunk and maybe see that new dark ride in where Theater of the Stars is. I also am in favor of removing that hat that makes no sense and removing it somewhere else like the Entrance of maybe in the middle of the lake that's in front of DHS or maybe even move it to a Hotel or DTD? Also, I heard an interesting post that Star Wars land were to be true you can see Indiana Jones be removed or actually have some type of structure cover the right side of that stage so that people in Star Wars land can't view the fire/show from the land and ruin the whole "In the Universe" theme to it.

This park can only be saved if; Star Wars Land, Monsters Inc., Cars Land, New Attraction to where the Theater of the Stars is and the Hat to be moved somewhere else. I don't want the hat destroyed, move it somewhere reasonable as it is very photogenic but not at the right location.

Ok, Not sure which WDW Park thread to post this in, so I'll start with DHS.

Last Time I visited WDW was in 2009. I will be visiting the parks on November 27-30th, and would like to know what has changed and what I can expect crowd wise. I know the Disney Junior Soccer Showcase is going on during this (huge Soccer tournament at ESPN WWoS), so will that effect crowds? Also, best places to eat? Especially Epcot, as I will spend a good amount of time there. I have no priorities or must do's yet, but that might change if my little sister comes along so I can get her on all the Mountain rides, Good Tower, and Rockn' Roller coaster; as those are what she wants to do the most. Any other info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty decent fireworks show. I hope the event was a success and that Disney continues to do more villains themed events (and merch besides pins).

I'm still waiting for the Villians ride that has been rumored forever to take over The Great Movie Ride. It was an old rumor even when I worked there in 1999! I do like the ride, but it really needs an update.