Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: jynx242 and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby zachclarke2 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Dominator opens about 15/20 minutes before the rest of the park, so if you're there when it opens you should be able to knock out 1 or 2 rides on it before the park opens. But once the park does open, go straight to Volcano, you'll save a ton of time versus riding it later.
Check out my photography! ----------> click
And my videos! ----------> click

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 pm

^I'd still say go directly to Volcano and hit other nearby rides--I305, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Anaconda, of you must. ;) You'll probably want to hit Shockwave as soon as you can, too. The Dominator line thins out pretty considerably in the afternoon.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am

Kings Dominion is hosting a "Monster Bash" this Friday night (September 27) to kickoff Haunt.

Gates open at 6:00pm for fully dressed monsters.
Block Party with special events, including music, dancing and a food eating contest.
Suggestions for fully dressed monsters include: Fake blood
Distressed clothes
Face make-up and accessories
Dirty hands
Grungy nails
Faux claws and scars
No masks or face coverings
Be as creative as possible! The best themed costume of the night will be awarded 4 tickets to Kings Dominion next year.

You can find more information here: https://www.kingsdominion.com/events/plan-a-visit/special-events/Monster-Bash

Here's your chance to win some KD tickets and scarf down massive amounts of funnel cake!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:33 pm

I hate to ask the redundant question, but are Saturday's for Haunt, mainly late October, really bad crowd wise? 10:30 - midnight makes for lots of time and quite frankly with junior in tow the mazes and such will be hit or miss anyway. I would prefer to spend the time riding anyway. What are lines like for the rides after the sun goes down?
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:04 pm

I worked Rebel Yell two years ago during haunt and on Saturdays around 3-6 running two trains only one side the line was near the entrance. You know how long the queue is... Be prepared for bad crowds.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Homeboy23 wrote:I worked Rebel Yell two years ago during haunt and on Saturdays around 3-6 running two trains only one side the line was near the entrance. You know how long the queue is... Be prepared for bad crowds.

How are Sundays?
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:37 pm

^Sunday won't be as crowded as Saturday, and most people will be there for Haunt in the evening (lines for the mazes can get long, but ride lines should be shorter--well, with the possible exception of Volcano).

Here's a press release from the park about Haunt.

Hundreds of Monster Unleashed for Halloween Haunt at Kings Dominion
13th Season Starts Friday, September 27 with Monster Bash Block Party

DOSWELL, VA. (September 25, 2013) — More than 450 monsters will be unleashed at Kings Dominion as darkness falls and evil rises for Halloween Haunt on Friday, September 27th, featuring two new mazes and a new live show. In all, Haunt will feature 10 blood-curdling mazes, six terror-filled scare zones, five evil-raising live shows and more than 20 of our thrill rides in the foggy, dark of night that will leave you quivering with fear.

“This year, there’s more to fear than ever before for Halloween Haunt,” said Kings Dominion Vice President and General Manager Pat Jones. “We’re excited to open two new mazes along with a new live show this year and I promise our guests that Kings Dominion is the place to be for the region’s best Halloween scare.”

Kings Dominion dares its guests to enter into a 200 foot long mine shaft where dead miners are seeking their revenge on unsuspecting takers at the all new “Miner’s Revenge” maze. Plus, take a trip to the all new “Zombie High” where a science project has gone wrong and the dead are no longer dead. In addition, the popular “No Vacancy: The Inn at Darkside Manor” maze is back in 2013 with new features, along with “Cornstalkers” and “Doll Factory”, among others.

Only at Kings Dominion, a decaying circus comes back to life as rock music fills the air with the all new live show “Edge of Darkness”. Returning in 2013 is the popular show “Blood Drums” with high energy percussion, music, rhythms, sparks and lights. The terror continues with six scare zones lurking through the park.

The horror kicks off every night with the Overlord’s Resurrection, as our spine-chilling monsters are sent out into the night.

Halloween Haunt starts on Friday, September 27th with the first-ever Monster Bash Block Party on Friday, September 27. Guests dressed in a monster costume can join the 450 other minions prowling around Kings Dominion, partake in a funnel eating food eating competition, learn to dance like a Haunt monster and more.

Halloween Haunt attractions operate on select nights from Friday, September 27th through Sunday, October 27th. Guests can get the most up-to-date hours of operation by visiting www.kingsdominion.com/haunt. Haunt is free with park admission.

Last edited by cfc on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:38 pm.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:56 am

Well, it was a week ago that I went out to Kings Dominion for their Hallo-weekend event, and I'm surprised that there haven't been anyone else commenting on this post. Since I'm here and have a few minutes to kill, I might as well get on with it.

The sky had cloudy overcast for the entire day, plus it was a little windy and chilly, but no rain fell. I arrived around noontime and stayed until eleven at night. The crowds were light during the day, but the park started crowding up during the evening ( when the monsters started coming out ). All the rides were up and running during the daytime ( except Dodge 'Em, White Water Canyon, and Flight of Fear which were used as Haunts ). The ride with the longest wait was The Volcano with a 45 minute wait. When evening fell, several attractions were closed, including Planet Snoopy, which boosted a not-so-scary Halloween for the kiddies. They even added three new attractions for the kids: a hay maze, a petting zoo, and Pig-Pen's People Washer ( the kids get to play inside an inflated play area filled with bubbles).

As for what awaits for us next year to celebrate Kings Dominion's 40th anniversity is still anyone's guess, but I did meet someone in line while waiting to ride the Volcano who remembers the singing mushrooms and even had a picture of it on her smartphone. If they do bring back the singing mushrooms, methinks the best spot for them is the grassy area next to the Carousel. I hope they bring it back exactly as before, but methinks that the only difference would be the piano-playing bullfrog won't have a cigar in its mouth.

In as earlier post, I've been writing about the "Celebration" show that ran in 1983 that celebrated Kings Dominion. If they brought that show back and updated it, then methinks this should be how the show should be presented. Besides having dancers and singers, it will also feature a screen that will show pictures and movies.

Introduction - "Celebration"; Act 1 - "Before Kings Dominion" - singing old country songs like "Buffalo Gal" and "Skip to the Lou, My Darling"; Act 2 - "Opening Day" - songs from 1975 like "Shining Star" and "Love Will Keep Us Together"; Act 3 - "The Line" - The orginal song from Celebration; Act 4 - "Thriller Rides" songs with new lyrics from "Thriller", "Love Rollercoaster", "Round and Round", "Free Fallin'", "Swingin'", and "Higher"; Act 5 - "The Past Attractions" with the song "Changes"; and Act 6 - "The Future" that will end with the "Celebration" finale.

35 YEARS OF VISITING kINGS dOMINION - AND COUNTING!!! :airtime: :airtimer:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:23 pm

So was the event worth it? Anyone else go?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby B Rip » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:02 am

When is KD going to announce their plans for 2014? I'm sure we aren't getting a coaster, but they at least have to have something cool for the 40th anniversary!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!