Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 300: Former park land sold for $3.5 million
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:02 pm

I can guarantee you pay per ride wouldn't work. There are so few rides there that couldn't be a winning formula. In a nutshell, it takes a LOT of staff to run even a small park correctly, which makes it basically impossible to run an overbuilt (in the way of size) park like HRP even for a small number of people. I would guess for the park to reopen and 'break even' in a year, they would need to draw at least an average of 2500 / day at a solid ticket price, and I doubt they *ever* drew that many people at a solid ticket price.

I disagree. My personal opinion is that if they built a solid transportation network (shuttles from major beach resorts) and opened up up as a pay per ride/night time hang out spot, with the bars and restaurant infrastructure to go along with the rides...it could have worked.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:06 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:
cfc wrote:And even with small crowds, the wait for Led Zepplin was often ridiculous, thanks to the silly "pre-show."

The wait for Time Machine when it was Freestyle Music Park was still ridiculous, even without the pre-show.

Yep--dividing up the line by "musical era" (to sccomodate the ride's different music tracks) really slowed things to a crawl, too.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Noporian » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:05 pm

If I could, I would buy the park, sell some rides, buy some rides. Improve it, get new ticket system: (free entry, and buy tickets or wristbands). I would save some of the main rides like maximum rpm or led zeppelin. But I can't. I was hoping I could go there the first time I saw it but I couldn't, since it got closed before I went to US

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:06 pm

^ Prince Desmond, is that you?

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby goatdan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Jew wrote:
I can guarantee you pay per ride wouldn't work. There are so few rides there that couldn't be a winning formula. In a nutshell, it takes a LOT of staff to run even a small park correctly, which makes it basically impossible to run an overbuilt (in the way of size) park like HRP even for a small number of people. I would guess for the park to reopen and 'break even' in a year, they would need to draw at least an average of 2500 / day at a solid ticket price, and I doubt they *ever* drew that many people at a solid ticket price.

I disagree. My personal opinion is that if they built a solid transportation network (shuttles from major beach resorts) and opened up up as a pay per ride/night time hang out spot, with the bars and restaurant infrastructure to go along with the rides...it could have worked.

I would agree with you if it was designed originally like that, but it was designed as a gated park, and my disagreement was that you can't take a park designed to be gated like that, open it up and make it pay-per-play. I do agree with you that if you design the infrastructure to support that type of model, that may very well have been much more viable.

Postby Jew » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:35 am

^If I remember correctly, a lot of their food/retail/entertainment spaces were large enough they could have been repurposed as stand alone venues. It was set up as a ticketed park, but also as a ticketed park that expected huge crowds---so the space was there.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/23457177/lights-on-but-no-one-home-at-freestyle-music-park

Freestyle Music Park has been quiet for years, but for several nights, people say they've seen the park lit up like it's opening day.

"Several of our staff have noticed the lights coming on," said Beach Church Pastor Damon Adcock. Adcock says the park was a great boon to this stretch of George Bishop Parkway when it was open. "Having a large venue like that attracts new people to the area."

WMBF News dug into why the lights and equipment were coming on at the park, representatives from a realty company listing some of the land around the park said it was simply preventative maintenance.

But while researching, WMBF News also found a series of legal documents shedding light on the current state of the park. Even though initial filings were years ago, another hearing in Federal Bankruptcy Court is scheduled for September 24, and the park's trustee is still trying to collect some debts from companies contracted out by the park.

Calls to the park's lawyer were not returned.

Before it was Freestyle Music Park, it was Hard Rock Park, and its initial developer, Jon Binkowski, also went public about the park recently, speaking on the Season Pass Podcast.

"Our podcast was brand new when Hard Rock Park Opened up," Podcast host Doug Barnes told Binkowski. "All of a sudden, everything stopped. It is one of the craziest, most intriguing, wildest stories to come from the amusement industry."

Binkowski told Barnes and his co-host, Brent Young, about the problems the park had with investors, and the difficulties of keeping the theme park open without a parent company to support it.

"It was great not having someone to report to from a creative standpoint," Binkowski said. "It would have been great to have had someone to report to, to fuse some capital into us so we could survive."

The entire interview is available here: http://bit.ly/189usKw
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 pm

It always amazes me when something new about this place pops up. I still can't believe it's just not been bulldozed, or suffered a "mysterious fire".

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Postby Jew » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Too coincidental for their to be activity at the park right around the time of their next bankruptcy hearing...Could this be the start of the inevitable selling of the park piece by piece?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:48 am

^Wouldn't surprise me. There are some assets there that other parks might like to have (like Time Machine/Led Zep).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!