Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby ernierocker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 am

julioot wrote:. I can see a tiny problem with people wearing these kinds of shirts. But lets be real, there isnt any.

The policy obviously exists because they have had a problem with these type of shirts before. They didn't make it up for the fun of it.

And like others said, I seriously doubt USO security said "Your shirt bad, you leave now." Something more led to the ejection.
Last edited by ernierocker on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:49 am

disney4me2001 wrote:I'm sure there's another side to this which we're not hearing, but it's still an interesting read. Kudos to USO on enforcing their dress code policy though!

Father Thrown Out of Universal Studios Over T-Shirt

Jew wrote:I'm going to guess the guy made a scene when asked to turn his shirt inside out/change it.

I would put a ton of money on that bet! With some of the stupid crap I've seen people do at parks, and how *unbelievably patient* the parks are with these idiots, you'd have to throw a pretty big fit and cause a scene to have multiple security guards at a situation. Over a stupid T-Shirt.

People forget that they are coming onto private property where a park can set whatever rules and policies they want to. Fortunately for the guests, none of Universal's policies are ridiculous and someone who couldn't be bothered to turn a shirt inside out or buy a new one isn't someone they probably want on their property anyway.

Kudos to Universal for kicking that jackass out!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 pm

julioot wrote:It says in the artical that he himself offerd to buy a new shirt in the park. Security refused according to the artical.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I can see a tiny problem with people wearing these kinds of shirts. But lets be real, there isnt any. Lots of people where these kinds of shirts or very simular ones. If its no problem on the street, in the store then it should not be a problem in a themepark. Still some props to universal, if you're going to set up a rule, enforce it! Just make sure the rule you are setting is up is actually needed.

1. The article gets its "facts" from the guy who was kicked out, as Universal chose to be respectful and respond with a generic PR response instead of putting the guy on blast.

2. The difference between the streets and a theme park is that a theme park is a controlled environment. The same reason parks have policies about shirts like these is the same reason they generally don't allow costumes except for special events: they can't run the risk of any confusion while on their property. Even if it is slim.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby arby » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:16 pm

I found this an interesting read about Universal Studios:www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-to-add-thousands-of-hotel-rooms-20130911,0,7922928.story

Most of the article tends to lean towards Universal adding more rooms than just Cabana Bay which is scheduled to open next year.

"We've done a study that says we could have 10,000 or 15,000 hotel rooms and still have occupancy that makes those rooms profitable," NBCUniversal President and Chief Executive Officer Steve Burke told investment analysts at a conference in Beverly Hills, Calif.

This is what was the most interesting part of the article to me.

The investments are paying off: Burke said attendance at Universal Studios Florida, one of the two theme parks at Universal Orlando, has been up about 20 percent "most weeks" since Transformers opened in June.

Burke said NBCUniversal has elevated capital spending in its theme parks to about $500 million this year — an amount that is likely to become an annual baseline in the future. The company's goal is to open one new attraction every year at both Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood in California, Burke said.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 pm

arby wrote:This is what was the most interesting part of the article to me.

The investments are paying off: Burke said attendance at Universal Studios Florida, one of the two theme parks at Universal Orlando, has been up about 20 percent "most weeks" since Transformers opened in June.

I always find it fascinating how parks will spin their attendance, etc. While I don't doubt that Universal Studios has seen an increase because of Transformers, it makes me wonder if that 20% is more like "20% more people have come to Universal Studios over IOA because that's where the new attraction is located" when in reality the numbers resort-wide might be kind of the same?

I can tell you just from my own personal experience that I've been to the Studios park this year than IOA just because there has been more "new stuff" going on there to check out with Transformers and Simpsons, but my visits to the entire resort overall are probably the same as they were last year.

Either way, it doesn't matter. If what they are saying in that article is true, that's GREAT NEWS and I would look forward to the future new attractions and new resort offerings.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby arby » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:04 pm

robbalvey wrote:I always find it fascinating how parks will spin their attendance, etc. While I don't doubt that Universal Studios has seen an increase because of Transformers, it makes me wonder if that 20% is more like "20% more people have come to Universal Studios over IOA because that's where the new attraction is located" when in reality the numbers resort-wide might be kind of the same?

I didn't even consider that angle. Good point, although I wasn't really paying attention to the number much. This is just the first number I've seen published since the opening of Transformers. I did notice they didn't use the word 'average' which always throws a red flag for me since mean, median, mode, and midrange are all averages that can yield significantly different results yet are still technically all averages.

robbalvey wrote:I can tell you just from my own personal experience that I've been to the Studios park this year than IOA just because there has been more "new stuff" going on there to check out with Transformers and Simpsons, but my visits to the entire resort overall are probably the same as they were last year.

Truth. We make it to Universal about once a year, which we did in January. While the new attractions and areas are something we look forward to, we'll still be going sometime next year as planned regardless. What is really drawing 'us' is the Potter expansion. I've been told by the ladies in my family that we *will* go to Universal next year if I want to go to other places.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Last night Theme Park Review was invited to a media preview for Halloween Horror Nights 23. There was food, fear and lots of me shrieking while we toured the live house of The Walking Dead - No Safe Haven. Once again, Universal has upped the ante on scares, on theming and on the way they present the horror story to guests...

1.JPG
We made it onto the marquee!
2.JPG
EXCELLENT!
3.JPG
They had an awesome exhibit on the "Scent of Fear." It smelled quite scary!
4.JPG
Costumes and house designs were presented for all eight of this year's houses, and gave a good idea of the tone for each house.
5.JPG
We went back to smell more fear... Like Zeke the Plumber.
6.JPG
Robb played Frank n Furter and I was Columbia! Perfect casting!
7.JPG
Michael Aiello gave us a passionate preview of this year's lineup of houses and the huge Walking Dead street experience.
8.JPG
We even had a chance to meet the entire Halloween Horror Nights creative team behind this year's event!
9.JPG
Then I volunteered to have Halloween Horror Nights makeup artist Luandra wound me.
10.JPG
And it wouldn't be a media event without themed food!
11.JPG
Fans of An American Werewolf in London will recognize several stages of the werewolf transformation throughout the new house.
12.JPG
This will totally freak me out when I experience the house!
15.JPG
There's lots of head(s) in The Walking Dead - No Safe Haven.
16.JPG
Walkers aren't the only thing that scare me...
17.JPG
The house featured some great scares in some iconic settings from the show.
18.JPG
And there were lots of recently wounded humans that hadn't yet become walkers.
19.JPG
I was scarred for life, in more ways than one!
20.JPG
Thanks to Universal Orlando for providing us with some high resolution looks at this year's houses... This is found in The Walking Dead - No Safe Haven.
21.JPG
Resident Evil: Raccoon City will feature huge set pieces like this one! It will also feature some very "video game-esque" moments that are sure to surprise.
22.JPG
Fans of Evil Dead will love the new house, as they experience the story of the film firsthand, in every way!
23.JPG
The house is designed to play out EXACTLY like a movie, so expect there to be some neat throwbacks to the film.
24.jpg
Back inside An American Werewolf in London, you'll visit John Landis' iconic locations from the film...
25.jpg
It took many years to get this house to actually make it off of the page for Halloween Horror Nights, but it looks like the wait will be well worth it!
26.JPG
Cabin in the Woods will put guests in the role of new employees of the facility from the film, but you'll start out by visiting that infamous cabin.
27.JPG
Tons of spooky detail to take in!
28.jpg
Urban Legends: La Llorana is an imported house from Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights, but with a twist. Guests will now enter La Llorana's realm like never before.
29.JPG
Havoc 2: Derailed will see the Dogs of War wreaking havoc like never before!
30.JPG
Much of the house actually takes place of a full size train, something that Universal Creative has been wanting to do for a very long time!
31.JPG
And sure to impress is Afterlife - Death's Vengeance, the year's 3D, blacklit house.

It looks like we've got another great year of Halloween Horror Nights on our hands with tons of great IPs and plenty of unique scares to enjoy!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby _IntaMAN_ » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Oh my God, I am so jealous! This all looks SO amazing! Wish I could get down to Orlando one day to visit HHN, because the event just looks spectacular. Walking Dead is really brought alive here, and it's making me drool. Hopefully USH will have good surprise's in store this year too!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:40 pm

I love this time of the year, so much to look forward to in the upcoming month! Even though I feel like the event hasn't been as strong in recent years I still look forward to it every year. How was the Bill and Ted show (if you got a chance to preview it)?

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby Invertalon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Have not gone the past two HHN's but will be back this year! Looking forward to it.
-Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!