TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I feel positive they will add a wing coaster next year. Most likely very similar to Gatekeeper with the whole front entrance thing, could be very cool doing that, maybe they could classify it as the first coaster in 2 states

Well unless they have one like that already, not too sure about the parks layout

Thunder Road is in North and South Carolina, but it's a racing coaster, so maybe the first coaster, non racing to be in two states?

Or maybe make the first steel coaster in two states.

Or maybe the first launched coaster in two states.

Or maybe the first kiddie coaster in two states.

Or maybe the first single tracked woodie in two states.

Or maybe the first inverted coaster in two states.

It doesn't matter, it's not the FIRST coaster in two states. it will be the SECOND coaster in two states and people are unlikely to care about that fact.

^

What didn't they get is the question.

Supreme Scream (1997)

Ghostrider

Knott's Berry Farm Resort Hotel

Perilous Plunge

Knott's Soak City U.S.A.

Xcelerator

La Revolución

Screamin' Swing

Silver Bullet

Minus the hotel, that's about a $50M investment.

^

What didn't they get is the question.

Supreme Scream (1997)

Ghostrider

Knott's Berry Farm Resort Hotel

Perilous Plunge

Knott's Soak City U.S.A.

Xcelerator

La Revolución

Screamin' Swing

Silver Bullet

Minus the hotel, that's about a $50M investment.

I would imagine that's more than a 50 million investment. 3 major coasters, water park and Perilous Plunge, and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't it pretty expensive? That's probably closer to 75 million.

^

Hmm. Lets see. When counting rides only.

GhostRider 13m

Perilous Plunge 9m

Xcelerator 13m

La Revolucion 3m (est)

Screamin Swing 4m (est)

Silver Bullet 16m

Total is 58m, a bit over-budget, exclude P.P. and you're back on track(49m). So I don't think it's to far-fetched to see something similar. Hopefully a big chunk of it gets spent on sprucing up the park.

I'd be surprised to see Carowinds add more than one major coaster with the $50 million. If they get a wing coaster similar in scale to GateKeeper that's half of the money already used. I'm guessing they'll get a wing coaster for 2015, and if there is another coaster it would probably be a family coaster or smaller thrill coaster the year after. In addition, they'll probably get a few new flat rides, maybe a new dark ride, and at least one new slide tower in addition to general improvements. For 2014, it's probably unlikely anything other than general improvements and a flat ride or two will be added, but 2015 and 2016 will probably have major attractions.

I'd be surprised to see Carowinds add more than one major coaster with the $50 million. If they get a wing coaster similar in scale to GateKeeper that's half of the money already used. I'm guessing they'll get a wing coaster for 2015, and if there is another coaster it would probably be a family coaster or smaller thrill coaster the year after. In addition, they'll probably get a few new flat rides, maybe a new dark ride, and at least one new slide tower in addition to general improvements. For 2014, it's probably unlikely anything other than general improvements and a flat ride or two will be added, but 2015 and 2016 will probably have major attractions.

I can see at least one moderately sized coaster out of all of this. Around $15M - $20M max. Maybe another smaller family coaster ($5M). Alot of this could be spent on the minor things like paving and general sprucing up the park. A updated waterpark, new lighting on rides, improved childrens' area, better food options, possible themed areas, and of course some newer up-to-date flats. It would be a REAL SHAME if the majority of this was spent on a coaster. There is SO much more that can be done with a budget like this.

I feel positive they will add a wing coaster next year. Most likely very similar to Gatekeeper with the whole front entrance thing, could be very cool doing that, maybe they could classify it as the first coaster in 2 states

Well unless they have one like that already, not too sure about the parks layout

Thunder Road is in North and South Carolina, but it's a racing coaster, so maybe the first coaster, non racing to be in two states?

Or maybe make the first steel coaster in two states.

Or maybe the first launched coaster in two states.

Or maybe the first kiddie coaster in two states.

Or maybe the first single tracked woodie in two states.

Or maybe the first inverted coaster in two states.

It doesn't matter, it's not the FIRST coaster in two states. it will be the SECOND coaster in two states and people are unlikely to care about that fact.

It will be the second coaster in two states...after goldrusher and nighthawk . I hope carowinds doesn't go the cedar point entrance route. Cedar point is for coasters and carowinds is for heritage to me. Am I too boring for wanting a RMC transformation of hurler but without all the inversions? I woe love to see a mack water coaster added to the park, personally, since the park lost its flume...hell, an aquatrax would even do...

^ I don't see why parks don't just go with the topper track route. They can do just as much (Goliath-OutlawRun), and still remain a wooden coaster.

This is what mean streak needs, not the Iron horse because then it becomes a total knock off of NTG.

^I have also thought about that. Still, they would have to change the layout anyway on Mean Streak otherwise it wouldn't be anymore exciting, just smoother (which would already be great).

So do you mean doing what six flags has been doing but keeping a wooden track (which could be a great idea) or just adding new topper track to the same layout?

^I have also thought about that. Still, they would have to change the layout anyway on Mean Streak otherwise it wouldn't be anymore exciting, just smoother (which would already be great).

So do you mean doing what six flags has been doing but keeping a wooden track (which could be a great idea) or just adding new topper track to the same layout?

Give it the NTG/OutlawR/Goliath treatment, but with topper track. More appealing IMHO.

Carowinds just announced what's new for 2014.

https://www.carowinds.com/what-s-new/new-for-2014

Two New Breathtaking Water Slides Coming to Boomerang Bay

Carowinds, Thrill Capital of the Southeast, is excited to bring two new breathtaking water slides to Boomerang Bay for Summer 2014. The mega-slides are the first phase of a multi-year, multi-million dollar capital investment plan at Carowinds. The new slides will stand over 4 stories high and add 600+feet of sliding fun, bringing new thrills and splashes to the popular water park. The slides will offer two distinctively different rides unique to Boomerang Bay.

Surfer’s Swell will travel a total of 263 feet as riders will plunge onto an angled wall that mimics the sensation of catching an ocean wave. Guests then gracefully enter a final tunnel for a fun ‘splash landing’ into a pool at the bottom of this 45 foot tall experience.

Dorsal Fin Drop offers 351 feet of slide and takes riders on the spin of a lifetime as they gain speed in a curved-tunnel that blasts them into a bowl. Like a shark circling its prey, guests spin and swirl before sliding into the corkscrew exit.

The slides are primed to make Boomerang Bay better than ever in 2014 as they add to its popular attractions, including two wave pools, 11 slides, and 2 kiddie splash pools with over 2 million gallons of water in total. “Cedar Fair is committed to building more excitement and value for our Carowinds guests” says Bart Kinzel, Carowinds Vice-President and General Manager, “The slides are just the first phase of a multi year park investment plan that will continue to deliver the best-day-of-summer that guests have come to expect.”

Construction will begin this Fall and both slides are set to open in May 2014.

img_center_structure(1).png.0d0e6bcb7cadd3a6599fa1ce97a95c92.png

img_fin.png.afd109c8e3294b51cac83bff1394b612.png

img_swell.png.3cd8364d4d6f2bd4680d0227d4e726f1.png

I also heard there are going to be some restaurant upgrades but I don't have any details on that yet.

Edited by ernierocker

^I agree. While I personally am not a fan of water parks, I understand their importance and know lots of people who like them. I've been saying for years that they need to add some new slides in the water park. This is a great addition!

I just got the official information from the park about the announcement. Here's what they have to say about the food options.

In addition to the 2 new slides, Carowinds will enhance the dining experience and food offerings at the park with a multi-million dollar investment. The investment will provide guests with a broader variety of food service options; additional air-conditioned venues and expanded capacity to feed and entertain the thousands of daily visitors at the park. Information on Carowinds schedule, prices and attractions can always be found online at http://www.carowinds.com

Excellent additions though I'm surprised they didn't rebrand the water park Soak City to go along with the new slides.

A lot of people were hoping for a coaster at Carowinds next year. A new water slide complex is good too, but can another Cedar Fair park besides Kings Island get a coaster in 2014?

Let's put it this way - Banshee is being added five years after Diamondback at KI. 2015 will be five years since Intimdator so I would assume a new coaster at Carowinds then.