TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Yeah, I read that this morning and went "meh, guess I'm doing a road trip across the US to see Goliath and Zumanjaro instead" lol. It sounds interesting, but for me personally, if I wanted to play a shooting game I would just go to the midway where I might win a prize instead of waiting in line.

Also, I'm just wondering where the concept art is at. Is it weird that there are no no concept art pictures or videos? Maybe I'd be more into this if I could picture it and see if we're talking about a "coaster/dark ride" (the 5 levels on a coaster track had me wondering) or if it's just a dark ride that happens to run on a coaster track. This also may spark the "credit or not" debate lol.

I'm picturing either something like Lotte Worlds new XD cinema, where its been super-sized and shooting with the other people in the theater with the coaster track being on the screen like Lotte Worlds is mostly themed to a mine cart (I don't know how many other XD theaters got the guns apart from Lotte world's so if they changed it enough it could still be one of a kind) or a spiderman/transformers ride but with a shooting element built in perhaps to make it one of a kind, although in the hands of Cedar Fair, I dread to think how that would turn out: http://www.trio-tech.com/page/IDR.html

Edited by Garet

Hmm--this is probably the most "interesting" of the park announcements so far, not to mention an unusual move for a Cedar Fair park. Always good to see new dark rides going into parks.

The worst part about this announcement is that I'm assuming I'll now have to get KT another stuffed animal to go along with her: Gatekeeper, Leviathan, Nessie, Iron Rattler...damn you merchandising department!!! I can already see it now, Guardian and Gatekeeper are obviously going to be married or related.

I just read this on CW Mania:

The ride will be classed as a coaster but is also part dark ride. There will be a lift hill, the ride will be partially outside the mountain (the lift) and the rest will be inside.

It isn't going to reach break-neck speed but will seem faster in the dark. They aren't going for fastest or biggest here. This will something very different from what most of us have ever ridden.

Sounds like it's technically a credit lol. Those who went to the announcement at the park got Q&A time (I valued my sleep too much to get up at 4:30am to get there for 6 for an announcement that ended up being pushed to 7:15).

It's now sounding like a traditional coaster with extra theming and guns

^Do you think though that the '1000 feet of coaster track' they're talking about is separate from the dark ride section then? Cause or else we're looking at a VERY short ride. Hopefully some of our CW Locals will report back with more info soon.

I just read this on CW Mania:

The ride will be classed as a coaster but is also part dark ride. There will be a lift hill, the ride will be partially outside the mountain (the lift) and the rest will be inside.

It isn't going to reach break-neck speed but will seem faster in the dark. They aren't going for fastest or biggest here. This will something very different from what most of us have ever ridden.

Sounds like it's technically a credit lol. Those who went to the announcement at the park got Q&A time (I valued my sleep too much to get up at 4:30am to get there for 6 for an announcement that ended up being pushed to 7:15).

It's now sounding like a traditional coaster with extra theming and guns

I went to view the brochure to see if it mentioned any track..... it wasn't as full of information as I hoped http://www.trio-tech.com/page/IDR.html

At least the video gave me a rough idea of what the company's tracked dark ride is like

Edited by Garet

Yeah, I missed the "1000 feet" specification mentioned... hmmm. Maybe then it is just a portion of the track. Or maybe that was a typo and they meant 10,000 feet? Lol wishful thinking. But 1000 is definitely not enough to fill 5 layers of the mountain. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong and by "layers" they really just mean "themed sections" and not physical "levels". That would make this a much shorter ride than I was thinking.

Again, at this point, I'm just wishing for some concept art to make it all clear.

When does the 'Is it a credit or not' debate start!?!?

It's a slow Friday so why not.

Pros - reference to coaster track, climbng up side of mountain, plummeting down

Cons - no reference to being the parks' 17th coaster. I would think that marketing's defination of a credit would be quite low and they would be all over it. Fact that they downplay the coaster part has me wondering.

Apparently someone asked the park whether Thunder Run, the other coaster in the mountain for families themed to a red dragon, was being removed and they said no. So would be kinda weird to have two rides so similar but at least the theme is consistant.

My issue is that for years the Thunder Run dragon nicknamed "Herman" was said to be a happy peaceful dragon. They sold plushies. He never hurt anyone and was just misunderstood. Now Cedar Fair wants us to go hunting for him with guns. They really should be calling this Lynch Mob: The Ride.

My issue is that for years the Thunder Run dragon nicknamed "Herman" was said to be a happy peaceful dragon. They sold plushies. He never hurt anyone and was just misunderstood. Now Cedar Fair wants us to go hunting for him with guns. They really should be calling this Lynch Mob: The Ride.

LOL that thought briefly crossed my mind (not exactly worded that way haha), but now I'll never be able to see it as "Wonder Guardian" whatever-its-called and it will always been "Lynch Mob: The Ride" to me. Thanks for that haha. Poor Herman.

Does this mean that Canada's Wonderland will get rid of the laser gun dark ride they already have that pushes about 50 people per hour? Because that wouldn't be the greatest tragedy.

I doubt it... that one is in the kid's area of the park and is totally kiddie-themed so I think they're keeping them separately. And I believe the park has stated that nothing is being removed this year. I have to say though, I'm worried about a similar (if less severe) issue with capacity on this new ride. If the track is only 1,000 feet long... I can't see that many cars going at the same time lol.

Sounds interesting. I wish that we were given more information or pictures or anything.

I planned to visit Canada's Wonderland for the first time next year anyway, so I'm happy that they are receiving a new "attraction" for 2014. Maybe is a preview for Cedar Point's dark ride in a year or two.

Both Spaceship Earth and Journey into Imagination are rides also built on "coaster track" but they are dark rides. I would have to think that if this ride was going to be a "roller coaster" they would have said so in the press release.

There will be multiple drops on the ride. The officials won't say how many but I'm speaking with PR they mentioned multiple drops. The first drop is definitely a lift hill into a gravity based drop so the credits nerds will be debating this one for a while.

The finale sounds special. Though they wouldn't say much they did say it would be something very neat and "thrilling". I think this is a perfect fit for the park.

Also I was told it will be 5 trains with 8 passengers per train.

Does this mean that Canada's Wonderland will get rid of the laser gun dark ride they already have that pushes about 50 people per hour? Because that wouldn't be the greatest tragedy.

Nothing is being removed from the park. Confirmed today with PR.