TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Aren't all the trains gold? I'm not a GateKeeper expert. Maybe I'm missing something...

I'd always thought so too, the fact sheet from ages ago listed just different shades of gold although I remember seeing red in pictures so it could very easily have changed after the announcement:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/images/news/GKFactSheet.pdf

I rode front left on Friday night on Gatekeeper and the vest was still as it always has been. It does not bother me that much for two or three rides, but if you marathon it like on media day it can get painful. I did not notice it until about 8 rides in on Media Day.

The train we rode (shockingly) had all the lights working. First time I had seen that. Usually 2-3 rows are always burnt out.

It was running good though... Some bumps here and there but overall still smooth in that seat. The other train though, sounded terrible. Walking into the park I could not believe how bad it sounded. Thankfully, we got the good train when we rode. Waiting 10mins for front row, left side (no fastpass) at 8:30pm on Friday night... They had a platinum ride night that night starting at 9:30 or so, and after we rode Raptor and came back to ride again, the line was HUGE. It was shorter prior to "ride night", so we went home.

For those too lazy to click the link:

Yes, I'm sorry for teasing.

Oh come on. If I were tweeting this, I'd use hashtag #sorrynotsorry. I'm not sorry - because it makes this fun!

We're less than 24 hours away from our 2014 announcement, and the guessing game continues. Some of you are close. Some of you are WAAAAY off.

But for us, it's fun to sit back and watch your imaginations take control.

So in a good way, I'm not sorry. Does that make sense?

You know what doesn't make sense?

This pic:

bch_aer_reduced.png.fe9d769bdd81fc8a1a070b5bd1a492de.png

So yeah. Let those imaginations soar.

I rode front left on Friday night on Gatekeeper and the vest was still as it always has been. It does not bother me that much for two or three rides, but if you marathon it like on media day it can get painful. I did not notice it until about 8 rides in on Media Day.

The train we rode (shockingly) had all the lights working. First time I had seen that. Usually 2-3 rows are always burnt out.

It was running good though... Some bumps here and there but overall still smooth in that seat. The other train though, sounded terrible. Walking into the park I could not believe how bad it sounded. Thankfully, we got the good train when we rode. Waiting 10mins for front row, left side (no fastpass) at 8:30pm on Friday night... They had a platinum ride night that night starting at 9:30 or so, and after we rode Raptor and came back to ride again, the line was HUGE. It was shorter prior to "ride night", so we went home.

I was there that night, I figured that was what was going on. Yup, you can see the lights on the trains were working.

yml1.thumb.jpg.13962093dfa6eac3f5f2e0b0719a99b1.jpg

Fun to look at, not so much fun to ride.

I consider it one, but I don't disagree with it being two at all. Some notable differences include:

-Blue has a smoother helix.

-Red has more "good" airtime.

-Red is more smooth overall.

And a little secret: Red is *slightly* faster

From an operators standpoint, blue is better. From a riders, red. So I can understand how some people might consider it two.

^ CP doesn't own much of the land under the lake extending out from the peninsula, so it's unlikely.

They can go to the city and ask for a variance or ask for an easement on the lake. They own out to the water line, but then it becomes public property. However, that is why things like an easement of use and variances exist.

Has GateKeeper really gotten that rattly since it opened, or are people still butthurt over it not having Batman-like forces and look for anything to complain about? I thought it was a really fun ride when I went at the beginning of June, even with the restraint tightening.

Has GateKeeper really gotten that rattly since it opened, or are people still butthurt over it not having Batman-like forces and look for anything to complain about? I thought it was a really fun ride when I went at the beginning of June, even with the restraint tightening.

I will say absolutely yes. I think the problem was that as it broke in and started running faster during the hotter months, it DID become more forceful and therefore became much more rattly. That's what I observed having ridden many times from opening weekend to the beginning of August, although I always found a pretty smooth ride in rows 1, 2, and 8. Throughout the season, it did become progressively faster, and therefore rougher. I wouldn't say I'm surprised since the ride's capacity was around 1600/hr, which meant trains were flying through the course more consistently than any other coaster at the point. Lots of wear and tear going on there...

What I have also observed is that the coaster bumps over the track seams. It's very odd, and if you find any offride videos of it, you'll hear the clicking noise. To prove my point, watch this video and listen carefully at points 1:55, 2:53, 10:09, and mostly at 12:25. What sounds an awful lot like the anti rollbacks is actually the wheels bumping over track seams...and this got progressively worse throughout the season over the entire circuit. I believe this is what contributes to the roughness people complain about.

Also, in response to the post below, the anti rollbacks are obviously making noise, you can tell every time the train goes upside down. This is a very different and almost violent sound the seams are making in two rather specific spots (bottom of the dive loop, and the final helix), and considering there are no negative g's in the final helix, I could only assume the anti rollbacks aren't making that noise (there are other spots on the track that it's less obvious). Plus, it's after having ridden it hundreds of times that I've come to this conclusion, not just once or twice.

Edited by coasterlover420

SANDUSKY, Ohio (Aug. 27, 2013) – Cedar Point® amusement park/resort, known around the world for its record-breaking collection of rides and roller coasters, announced several plans for the 2014 season, including introducing two new family rides, changes to the park’s Camp Snoopy area and more details on a two-year renovation project to Hotel Breakers.

Joining Cedar Point’s impressive lineup of rides next summer will be Pipe Scream – a Disk’O Coaster, and Lake Erie Eagles – a Flying Scooters ride. Located along the Gemini Midway, Pipe Scream is billed as “combining the best of a roller coaster and a flat ride in one.” Riders will spin and coast over 302 feet of track, reaching a maximum height of 43 feet above the midway and a top speed of 43 mph! Pipe Scream is manufactured by Zamperla, Parsippany, N.J. Across from Pipe Scream, Lake Erie Eagles will also soar onto the Gemini Midway and will treat a new generation of Cedar Point’s guests to a classic thrill ride. Riders on Lake Erie Eagles will sit in one of eight ride carriages that are suspended from arms located more than 28 feet above the ground. As the ride begins its cycle, the carriages will swing outward simulating the sensation of flight! A paddle on the carriages will allow guests to alter their flight experience from mild to wild! Lake Erie Eagles is manufactured by Larson International, Inc., Plainview, Texas.

In addition to the Gemini Midway improvements, Camp Snoopy, celebrating 15 years of family fun at Cedar Point, will also see enhancements. The kid-friendly Frog Hopper ride will be relocated to Camp Snoopy and re-themed as Woodstock’s Airmail while the Jr. Gemini roller coaster will be renamed Wilderness Run and its entrance will be moved into Camp Snoopy. These two popular rides will join other family favorites such as the Tilt-A-Whirl, Lolli Swing and Camp Bus and will bring Camp Snoopy’s ride count up to an impressive nine rides, many of which parents can ride side-by-side with their children.

“We are excited about these new additions to the park,” said Jason McClure, incoming Vice President and General Manager of Cedar Point. “Following the successful introduction of GateKeeper, we believe these new rides and upgrades will continue to make Cedar Point the perfect vacation destination for families of all ages.”

The beginning of a two-year Hotel Breakers renovation project will also commence this winter. Phase one will include upgrading a portion of the exterior of Hotel Breakers, while phase two will take place over the 2014-2015 winter season and will feature upgrades to both the exterior and interior of the hotel. Conveniently located between the sandy shore of Lake Erie and the mountainous roller coasters of Cedar Point, this popular family vacation destination boasts more than 500 rooms, many of which provide sweeping views of the Cedar Point Beach.

While preparations are underway for the 2014 season, there is still time to enjoy all of the thrills and chills that Cedar Point has to offer as the park is open daily through Labor Day. Then, the park reopens for a Bonus Weekend (Sept. 6-8), followed by the 17th annual HalloWeekends® event, Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays, Sept. 13-Oct. 27.

For more information, log on to cedarpoint.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and check out our YouTube channel.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

2 New Rides for the Gemini Midway and a paint job for Hotel Breakers.

Edited by robbalvey