Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 935: Copperhead Strike construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby arby » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:14 am

prozach626 wrote:The Pros: I found the park to be very clean, and the staff was only one notch below Holiday World friendly.

I agree. I think Carowinds consistently has an above average staff.

prozach626 wrote:Cons: Food options were OK, but not if you wanted to eat healthy.

Carowinds is lacking on quality restaurants if you're looking for more than average fast food. I think they really need a signature restaurant that serves fresh food.

The SCarowinds Haunt website is up.

There are two new scare zones and one new maze. Two of the previous mazes 1 scare zone are gone.

Mazes: (7)
Silver Scream Sinema
FURY
Defex
Cornstalkers
The Asylum
Last Laff
Zombie High School

Scare Zones: (5)
The Playground
Mass Acres
Feeding Frenzy
Scary Tales
London Terror

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mooniefins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Heading down this weekend from Kings Dominion territory. Carowinds will be my fourth CF park this summer. Can't wait to try your Intimidator and see how your parks holds up to the others. Any advice for a first time visitor?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby PalmTree55 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:55 pm

mooniefins wrote:Heading down this weekend from Kings Dominion territory. Carowinds will be my fourth CF park this summer. Can't wait to try your Intimidator and see how your parks holds up to the others. Any advice for a first time visitor?

Do you plan on buying fastlane or not? If you do, then it doesn't matter what you ride first and any plan of action. Nighthawk is always having problems, so I would try to hit that one at the beginning.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mooniefins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm

No fastlane here, haven't purchased yet, not even for Cedar Point, not starting now. I can't justify that extra cash and it hasn't been necessary thus far. We'll be there Saturday night hopefully to get some night rides in, and all day Sunday. I can't imagine it would be terribly busy.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby PalmTree55 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:55 pm

mooniefins wrote:No fastlane here, haven't purchased yet, not even for Cedar Point, not starting now. I can't justify that extra cash and it hasn't been necessary thus far. We'll be there Saturday night hopefully to get some night rides in, and all day Sunday. I can't imagine it would be terribly busy.

Saturday = Busy all day.

Sunday = Dead. Park is empty.

I used to live in Utah, then Alan Schilke took out a restraining order

Postby GoBears » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

I haven't been following the park closely but I saw this on their Twitter...

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 3.46.39 PM.png

And then they put this photo with it...

BSnjR3RCcAA1KN5.jpg
My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

Postby arby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:59 pm

On Monday officials from Cedar Fair, the company that owns Carowinds announced a $50 million investment in the amusement park.

At the Charlotte Chamber Board of Advisers meeting, Cedar Fair said it plans to add new rides and attractions on land, on the North Carolina side of the park in Charlotte as well as more concessions and games.

They said it will make Carowinds the fourth-largest park that they own.

Here's the source: www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/cedar-fair-announces-50m-investment-carowinds/nZctj/

Here's the official press release from Cedar Fair: cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=388

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:03 pm

This press release says $30 Million in the next three years:

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=388

CEDAR FAIR IDENTIFIES CHARLOTTE PARK AS OPPORTUNITY FOR GROWTH

Company announces plans for multi-year expansion at Carowinds Amusement Park

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Aug. 26, 2013 -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, today announced a multi-year expansion project for its Carowinds amusement park located in Charlotte, North Carolina.

"The continued growth in the Charlotte market presents a unique opportunity for our Carowinds amusement park, which we believe is ready for record-breaking attractions," said Richard Zimmerman, Cedar Fair's Chief Operating Officer. "Over the next three years we intend to make several significant investments in both the amusement and water park areas, including new rides and attractions, new and upgraded food locations, and general infrastructure improvements. We plan to expand the capacity of Carowinds in all areas to appropriately serve its market and provide our guests with a 'Best Day of Summer' experience each and every time they visit our park."

The Company, which recently opened a satellite corporate office in Charlotte, expects the expanded park will draw additional tourists to the already popular Charlotte market. It will invest more than $30 million over the next three years and expects to hire an additional 15 full-time and approximately 270 seasonal jobs to support these new investments. As with many of its capital investments across the country, the Company will look to hire local companies to help with the design and construction of this multi-year expansion.

ADMIN EDIT: There was a typo in the initial release. The current release has been updated to say $50 million, not $30 million.
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:08 pm.

Postby arby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Yeah, the numbers don't match between our local news and Cedar Fair. I'm assuming the $30 million is the more accurate number. :)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby megametal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:11 pm

$30 million isn't that much, actually. Especially if a hotel is one of the things they're adding. Intimidator cost $23 million. Still, I can hope for some flat ride additions and a good sized coaster instead.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!