Photo TR:David's EPIC Asia trip! TPR China +Japan, Korea, Taiwan!

Day 25, parts 1-3: Lots MORE Shanghai CreHoing/sightseeing
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Photo TR:David's EPIC Asia trip! TPR China +Japan, Korea

Postby David H » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm now back from 4 weeks in Europe. I had an awesome time, hitting lots of parks and coasters! Highlights include Disneyland Paris (with Extra Magic Hours, thanks to the discounted season pass I got), OzIris, Tonnere de Zeus, Expedition GeForce (which was running even better than on my previous visit), Wodan and Blue Fire (and pretty much all of Europa Park!), the new Karacho and Olympia Looping. The surprise of the trip was definitely Phantasialand, without a bad coaster in the bunch, particularly it's amazing Colorado Adventure, which was nothing like you'd ever expect from a mine train! But I also got to explore a lot of cities I've always wanted to visit like Prague, Budapest, Vienna and Lisbon, as well as take more time to explore cities like Paris and Amsterdam better. The fun of the parks and coasters was balanced with sobering visits to Auschwitz and the Anne Frank House, reminding me that the same humanity that makes these fun rides is capable of such extreme horrors. All in all, an amazing trip!

But this thread is about my PREVIOUS trip to Asia. Now that I'm back, updates will resume shortly with Chengdu, China.
Check out my Photo Trip Report from my Epic Asia Trip! Tons of coasters and a good helping of culture too! The first legs in Japan and Korea are done, and now we're up to the TPR China trip!
Photo TR: David's EPIC Asia trip! TPR China + Japan, Korea, and Taiwan!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Are you going to write up a TR for your Europe trip? I would love to see some pictures.
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

Postby David H » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Well, given how long it's taken me to get last year's TR done -- and to be honest, all of the anti-ACE hate on here (I try to stay out of these fights and not take sides) -- probably not. Until then, I've posted some pics on my Facebook page, though I had them tagged to only be viewable to friends, so that potential thieves wouldn't know I was away. (A good tip for all of us travelers!)

Between the two trips, I have over 31,000 pictures to sort through! (19k from the Asia trip and 12k from Europe!) Let me get this one done first before I decide, though.
Check out my Photo Trip Report from my Epic Asia Trip! Tons of coasters and a good helping of culture too! The first legs in Japan and Korea are done, and now we're up to the TPR China trip!

Day 19, part 1: Chengdu. Floraland

Postby David H » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Day 19, part 1: Chengdu. Floraland

After spending our first night in a new city, Chengdu, we were ready to hit our first park here. Floraland was one of those parks that when we looked at the coaster list, seemed like a place you would only go for the credits and not much else. After all, they had an SLC knockoff and a spinning mouse. Woo hoo. But it turned out to be one of the parks that I enjoyed the most on the trip, for a bunch of other reasons. For a medium sized park, they put quite a bit of money into landscaping and theming, though most of the theming was more for the park itself than for specific rides. The park even had its own mascots, which were pretty reminiscent of Mickey and Minnie.

Needless to say, we headed straight for the coasters. The SLC knockoff called Dragon Rider was an SLC knockoff. Do I really need to say more? It wasn’t quite as painful as some – or had we just gotten used to them, and desensitized to the pain? I’m fairly certain that no one rode twice. From there, we headed over to the spinning mouse called Revolving Pulley. Like most of the spinning mice in China, it spun, but not all that much. Check. Check. Now what?

Robb insisted that we head over to the Tagada ride. Most of us had never heard of these rides, but those who had were excited. I’d first seen one of those in the TPR video at Gyeongju World in Korea. I’d been particularly disappointed that the ride hadn’t been open on my visit two weeks prior, since it had looked like a CRAZY ride in Robb’s video. And here was my chance to ride one! Watching the ride in motion, we knew it was going to be crazy. For those who don’t know, a Tagada is a round ride that spins. The ride op not only controls the spinning, but can make various parts of the ride bounce. Since this model had padded seats and a padded floor, the ride op was free to literally THROW us all over the place. And he did! The ride op seemed particularly overjoyed to have such a willing group of American victims, and gave us some particularly crazy rides, sincging along to songs like a newer dancier version of ”I Will Survive.” In fact, since we hadn’t all fit on the first ride, I jumped right back on for our second ride! I can’t describe how crazy these rides were, but the floor was covered with experienced enthusiasts rolling and bouncing all over the place, laughing our asses off. On the second ride, I was mostly able to sit up, after being bounced onto the floor – mostly. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard on any ride before or since then! Since then, I’ve ridden two Tagadas at German fairs, but since those rides weren’t padded, they weren’t nearly as much fun, since they kept us in our seats (mostly.) If you haven’t seen the video that Robb posted of our second ride, go look it up now. It’s hysterical! It’s so rare these days for many of us jaded enthusiasts to get a new experience at a park. And this was quite the memorable experience!

The other ride that Robb insisted we hit up was the ice house. I’d seen some of these at parks in Japan, where the attraction is mainly a cold house with various ice sculptures and decorations, mainly meant to give you a chance to cool down in the hot summer heat. But this one was one of several in China that had an actual slide made out of ice, hearkening back to the Russian ice slides that are the precursors to modern day roller coasters. (Or montana rusas – Russian mountains – in Spanish.) We had a blast on the slide, even if it wasn’t particularly thrilling. Still, sometimes old-fashioned fun is great.

After that, we split up around the park. A bunch of us found a giant frog hopper. Basically, the same ride that parks have for kids, but a larger model for adults. A few of us braved a Booster knockoff, which I didn’t manage to get a picture of. Still, if you know what the ride is, you’re asking yourself what the hell we were thinking, trusting our lives to a very tall Chinese knockoff ride with seats on a very long stick. After I got on the ride, I asked myself the same thing, wondering if we’d made a fatal mistake!

I grabbed a couple of “meat on sticks”, which were flavored with the local Sichuan – which our new tour guide made sure to tell us was properly pronounced “soo-chwan” , not “seh-shoo-wan” as most Americans pronounce it. – spices. Luckily, these weren’t as hot as the local fare is known for being, but they were tasty enough that I went back for more! Chengdu is in the Sichuan region of China.

Soon, we were on our way to more parks. But as we left Floraland, we noticed another park down the street. Apparently, this was a MAJOR expansion for Floraland that they were building. There were at least three coasters there, including a large multi-looper. The bus pulled over for a short stop, and many people got outside to take pictures, but I opted to just get a few from inside the comfortable air conditioned bus. I’ve never been all that excited to take pictures of coasters and rides that I cannot yet ride!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 119.jpg
Agreed!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 120.jpg
Floraland has an impressive entranceway for a medium sized park!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 123.jpg
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 124.jpg
We should have paid to have all of our pictures on here, just to confuse the locals!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 125.jpg
There's all this nice theming in the midways, but surprisingly little on the rides, other than in the ice house.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 126.jpg
Why does this seem a little familiar?
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 130.jpg
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 131.jpg
The park has nice landscaping, too.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 133_cr.jpg
What do you mean NO HAMBURGERS?!?!?
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 135.jpg
Does that mean I'm not allowed on the SLC knockoff?
(Secretly grateful and releived!)
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 137.jpg
Can't you almost hear the screams of pain?
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 138.jpg
It's almost over!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 139.jpg
More random theming.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 141.jpg
I feel like I've seen one of these before....
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 142.jpg
It spins... a little.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 144.jpg
I'm sure the name makes much more sense in Chinese.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 149.jpg
Robb and Hanno look like they're really enjoying their ride!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 150.jpg
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 132.jpg
What a cute kiddie ride!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 148.jpg
I don't think I managed to ride any of the Top Scan knockoffs in China. Too bad, because I really enjoy the rides. Then again, I'm still alive, and maybe I might not have been able to say that if I'd ridden them!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 152.jpg
The Tagada. Notice that we're all (mostly) sitting -- for now!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 153.jpg
Oh crap! Here we go!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 154.jpg
While Dan struggles in the middle, I'm happily sitting with my arms up! Then again, it's my second ride.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 155.jpg
I managed to stay up for most of the ride -- on my second ride!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 158.jpg
The really cool ice house.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 168.jpg
Don't you hate it when everyone accidentally wears the same jacket?
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 160.jpg
I'm so fashionable!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 164.jpg
Sometimes simple pleasures are the best!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 166.jpg
Do you think Neil will enjoy it?
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 167.jpg
I guess so!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 171.jpg
The ice slide is built into a castle setting.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 175.jpg
Some nice ice sculptures in the ice house.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 176.jpg
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 178.jpg
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 179.jpg
Hmmmm....
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 180.jpg
The ice house was so cold that it fogged up Jon and Brian's glasses -- and my camera lens!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 182.jpg
While my camera lens was still foggy, we apparently travelled to Spain.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 184.jpg
A nice fountain with a Frisbee knockoff in the background.
But wait, what's that I see? Let's zoom in....
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 185.jpg
Mermaid boobs!
See, now you're glad you read this update, aren't you? ;-)
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 189.jpg
Adult frog hopper.
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 190.jpg
Floraland spared no expense in investing in the very latest in cash register technology.
Yes, it's a cardboard box!
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 193.jpg
The upcoming major expansion to Floraland, as seen from the bus.
(Cue lots of nerds rushing out to get pictures!) ;-)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I love how most of the new knockoff coasters in China still use old designs.
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm

I really liked Floraland also for all the dark rides and the meat sticks. I'm pretty sure I spent twice as much money at Floraland than at any other park in China.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby zottewoef81 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Thx for the pics David!

Floraland was indeed a nice surprise, only to bad that the expansion part wasn't open yet. It seemed even more fun!

As for the Revolving Pulley coaster, for me it was actually the best one we did. We spun like crazy! But then again, what do you expect if you have 2 big guys like Karl and me on one side and only Scottish Steve on the other as counterweight. :b

The cardboard cash register isn't the only high-tech system they've got at the park. Remember on both coasters how a guy took pictures of riders (standing under the coaster track), then ran his A$$ off to the photo boot to upload them on the computer? Great way to get your body in shape!
Member of the Brussels Black Angels: BAFL's 2017 undefeated, national champions!

Postby David H » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 am

One of the reasons I wanted to do this set of trip reports was so that I wouldn't forget all of the little details that make trips memorable. Since it's been almost a year already, a lot of them are already fading. (In fact, I left for Tokyo 9 days from today, last year!) So it's good to hear from others on the trip to fill in the holes. Feel free to keep adding in your own reminiscences, everyone, even if you've been to the parks, but not on the TPR trip.

One thing I'm discovering is that in the midst of all the fun and dashing around on this trip, I managed to not get pictures of a lot of things I wish I had. At the time, I was expecting that I'd be able to see everyone else's pics, but others may not have cared about or remembered the same things I did. Something to remember for future trips. After all, one of the big advantages of having a digital camera is being able to take TONS of pics. Especially if you upload the pics to a laptop every day or so, like I do. (I've had a friend on another trip lose her camera on a coaster towards the end of a trip, and lose ALL of their pictures of the trip!) Still, it's weird to realize that I took 19,000 pictures on this trip (yes, you read that right) and am still missing lots of things I wish I had pictures of!

I don't actually remember riding any dark rides at Floraland. I'm not sure if that's just my memory going bad, with much of the trip a blur, or if I didn't ride any there. I know I didn't get any pictures of any. And I'd usually try to hit them up, since they're always unique. But there were a lot of great flat rides there, so I may have just run out of time. I remember thinking before we got there that we probably had too much time there, but it turned out that we could have used another hour or so.

And I'd completely forgotten about the unique "onride photo" system at the coaster there! Thanks for the reminder.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 am

I was on the first TPR trip there and the only things I remember about the park was the Tagada was awesome. Not sure how someone didn't get seriously hurt. The ice slide was "cool" and we had to come back for the coaster because it was closed the first time we were there.

Day 19, part 2: People’s Park, Xinhua Park, and Chengdu.

Postby David H » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 am

Day 19, part 2: People’s Park, Xinhua Park, and Chengdu.

(Note to those coming back to this TR after a while away, while I didn't post new updates during my new vacation: there's also a new update for Floraland park just above this one.)

After Floraland, it was time for a bit of credit whoring. We stopped in to two more small amusement parks inside two city parks in Chengdu: People’s Park and Xinhua Park. Neither park really stands out in my memory, since both were small and had exactly the same cloned coaster: a Golden Horse Space Car, a small kiddie coaster with a helix, similar to so many other kiddie coasters we’d ridden, and would continue to ride on the trip. For the record, the coasters were called Space Car and Outer Space Flying Car. For both amusement parks, we had to walk through the large city park, past some nice statues and people doing exercise, martial arts and dance routines, to get to the coasters. They seemed to be selling goldfish EVERYWHERE, whether it was in actual aquarium tanks, or makeshift ones in the middle of walkways, or even in small kiddie swimming pools! At Xinhua, one woman was making candy out of melted sugar, making cool lollipops with intricate shapes. Mostly, we just traipsed through the parks, got our credits, walked around a bit, and headed out.

After the two parks and dinner, we headed back to our hotel. Martin wasn’t feeling well, so a few of us headed out on a quest to find him some medicine (I gave him some to hold him over, since I always bring a pharmacy with me on trips, especially overseas) and an ATM. Along the way, we found an entire street full of pet stores, bursting with overcrowded pets, most of which were in cages out on the sidewalks. There were the usual goldfish everywhere, but some of the stores actually had some tropical fish. But the other animals were so overcrowded that I just wanted to buy them up just to set them free! I’m not an animal rights activist by any means, but seeing 6 puppies or kittens in a small rabbit cage makes me sad. Eventually, we were successful in our quests for both the ATM and the cold medicine, though the medicine took some working. I used my fine charades skills to mime someone coughing and sneezing to get the pharmacist to understand us! Strangely enough, in order to buy the medicine Martin had to fill out this sheet with all sorts of info about him, including I think his passport number and what hotel we were staying at. I’m not sure if that’s the case for all drugs, or just for foreigners. Or if they were concerned he’d be making crystal meth out of the drugs. (Martin looks a little shady that way!) ;-) But it was kind of weird.

They headed back to the hotel to rest, while I headed out to see more of the city. It was getting dark out, and I wanted a closer look at all of the bright neon lights on many Chengdu’s taller buildings. As we’d headed into the city the first night, we noted how almost every taller building was all lit up with many colors, making for a gorgeous skyline. Several cities we’d visit would have lots of nice lighting, but I think that Chengdu had the most. Even the smaller hotels or business buildings had some sort of flashing and changing light patterns. So, I headed toward the city’s center, just walking around and taking a ton of pictures. As I hit the main hub, it started to rain lightly. I was a big hungry, so I stopped at some local fried chicken place, and tried a few different very tasty pieces of chicken, which had different spices and seasonings on them. While there, some local kid was fascinated about this visiting white kid and struck up a conversation with me. Needless to say, he was surprised that I was in his city – and his country -- to ride roller coasters, but we talked for a while before I headed back to the hotel. He invited me out clubbing with his group of friends the next night, but there wasn’t really time for that at this point in the trip. Still it was a nice gesture.

I walked back to the hotel in the light rain and called it a night. This was actually some of the only rain we got on the trip. And none of it really interfered with our coastering very much. We were VERY lucky, considering that we were there during typhoon season. In fact, right about at this time, a typhoon was threatening Hong Kong and Southeastern China – right where we’d be heading soon. But luckily, it beat us there, and managed to suck most of the moisture out of the air!
195.jpg
A pond in the park on the way to the coaster at People's Park
196.jpg
It looks like we're headed in the right direction....
197.jpg
Getting a little culture on the way.
198.jpg
A nice landmark to something.
202.jpg
Now, this looks like something we might be looking for....
203.jpg
Yes, you're going to have to do some work now!
205.jpg
They sell goldfish EVERYWHERE in China. Even in the city park.
204.jpg
This is how crazy busy the coaster was before we got there. Soon the coaster would be full of adult Americans!
207.jpg
We've actually moved on to Xinhua Park, though you wouldn't know it from looking at the coaster. It's exactly the same model, with a slightly different paint job.
208.jpg
Whores!
Chengdu 209.jpg
WHORES!
Chengdu 210.jpg
And more whores!
Chengdu 214.jpg
Chengdu 219.jpg
Bjorn seems kind of Zen about his whoriness!
Chengdu 222.jpg
Yeah, this didn't look too dangerous, right over the helix!
Chengdu 223.jpg
Watch out!
Chengdu 225.jpg
Elissa, it's not worth losing your head for the credit!
Chengdu 226.jpg
The lady making lollipops out of melted sugar. Neil's enjoying his!
Chengdu 228.jpg
And more goldfish. With a real fancy $2 filter that looks like a blender. Or maybe it IS a blender, and that's why the cocktails taste so weird?
Chengdu 229.jpg
Some cool building we saw on the road.
Chengdu 234.jpg
A park fountain on the way to the hotel.
Chengdu 235.jpg
This was the lovely view from our hotel room!
Chengdu 236.jpg
Let's get a nice closeup of those fine Chinese construction skills!
Chengdu 239.jpg
Even the stores have tons of lights and neon!
Chengdu 246.jpg
The view of the river from the bridge next to our hotel.
Chengdu 256.jpg
Anyone want some "purple romance"? LOL!
Chengdu 258.jpg
Once it was dark enough to kind of hide the collapsing building, the view of the city's neon lights was gorgeous! All of the building's lighting patterns were constantly changing.
Chengdu 269.jpg
Time to see some of those lights up close!
Chengdu 275.jpg
The TRON building.
Chengdu 282.jpg
Chengdu 284.jpg
The Sichuan Science and Technology Museum, which I only know because I zoomed in the picture!
Chengdu 295.jpg
More TRON.
Chengdu 303.jpg
Our hotel. By this late, many of the city's neon lights were off.
Chengdu 307.jpg
Chengdu 309.jpg
Our hotel's funky lobby.
Chengdu 310.jpg
Asia '12 - Days 18-20 - Chengdu 112-cropped.jpg
This vase was in our hotel room. Classy!
Last edited by David H on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:09 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive