Photo TR: TPR's Texas/Midwest Trip 2013

Page 5: Magic Springs
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: Photo TR: TPR's Texas/Midwest Trip 2013

Postby kailisun98 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am

^ I bet you all gained like 10 pounds from eating there. After all it is America's unhealthiest restaurant with 5 of it dishes over 2,000 calories. :b :b :b :b :b
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 am

SFFT is one of those parks I want to visit because of the setting. Nice report so far.

Ignore this post, I'm probably drunk

Postby Vtafro » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks erik, nice to bring some good tpr memories back considering this week won't seem to end. Hope to see more of your pictures. :b

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:28 am

kailisun98 wrote:^ I bet you all gained like 10 pounds from eating there. After all it is America's unhealthiest restaurant with 5 of it dishes over 2,000 calories. :b :b :b :b :b

I sure hope my truck sized salad helped to offset the calories from the cheesecake. :)

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Ok, let us head on over to Six Flags Over Texas. This was going to be my third visit to the park. The first time was in 2009. The second time was for TPR's Texas Giant Bash in 2011 which was a simply wonderful event. After that visit I ranked SFoT just after Six Flags Great Adventure as my favorite Six Flags park in the chain. Boy, have things really fallen far. Sure we already knew that the two best coasters in the park were going to be closed (New Texas Giant and Shockwave), but you would have thought that the park would have been a tiny bit hospitable to a group of 100 (with many international and first time visitors). The answer was a big, NO! As much as Robb and Elissa tried, the park said no to any ERT, backstage tours, or even a simple hello from management. Mind you, this was planned before the Texas Giant accident. It also did not help that operations were quite abysmal even with a Qbot. It was pretty obvious that the park needs to spend more time training employees. It pretty much became a, "Screw You, Six Flags Day!" I am sure that I will make it back in a few years, but they really need to do a shake up with the upper management of the park.

With that said, not everything was a total loss. Robb and Elissa had a surprisingly awesome alternative side trip planned for later in the day. We ended up heading over to Summer Adventures. Summer Adventures is a small, temporary park that is located at the State of Texas Fairgrounds. This year they wanted to test out a concept to open up some of the fair attractions in the summer. It was an amazing opportunity because I doubt I would have ever made it out to the State of Texas Fair. Ok, do you want some photos?
Texas1 212.jpg
Texas Sky Screamer is really tall. 400 feet tall!
Texas1 213.jpg
New for 2013!
Texas1 214.jpg
Awww...Stupid Six Flags.
Texas1 216.jpg
First ride of the day.
Texas1 215.jpg
Rules of the ride.
Texas1 218.jpg
It was a fun ride, but I thought the ride cycle was a bit short. Also, operations were simply dreadful.
Texas1 224.jpg
As much as I like Mr. Freeze, I did not even bother with it this visit.
Texas1 226.jpg
Just when you could not think Six Flags would sink any lower.
Texas1 231.jpg
Stupid Six Flags.
Texas1 233.jpg
I should say the New Texas Giant is my #1 steel coaster.
Texas1 234.jpg
The station was all covered up.
Texas1 235.jpg
I think that they should move the school to a park that I like....ummm maybe Silver Dollar City.
Texas1 236.jpg
After a few hours I bailed to go to Humperdinks.
Texas1 238.jpg
Let us head on down to Dallas.
Texas1 243.jpg
Summer Adventures >>>>>>>> Six Flags Over Texas
Texas1 242.jpg
Good to know.
Texas1 266.jpg
So that is what a 500 foot pole looks like.
Texas1 297.jpg
Intamin's newest ride is a 500 foot tall observation tower. It just opened in June.
Texas1 251.jpg
Close up of some mechanical things.
Texas1 252.jpg
I spy a kiddie credit.
Texas1 254.jpg
It just towers over the big wheel.
Texas1 257.jpg
Nice view of Dallas.
Texas1 260.jpg
Cotton Bowl.
Texas1 261.jpg
Many buildings which will be full for the State Fair of Texas in Sept.
Texas1 262.jpg
They have a skycoaster.
Texas1 264.jpg
I see another coaster.
Texas1 263.jpg
Intamin Shadow
Texas1 253.jpg
Yes, this would be the third and final coaster in the park.
Texas1 267.jpg
They have a Windstorm here.
Texas1 268.jpg
The water tunnel was amazing!
Texas1 274.jpg
This has to be the most wacked out, super intense one-of-a-kind kiddie coaster on the planet.
Texas1 271.jpg
It looks innocent enough, but it really spins. I sure hope Robb posts a onride video of it soon.
Texas1 272.jpg
Photos do not do it justice.
Texas1 282.jpg
Single rider!
Texas1 275.jpg
Wacky Mouse!
Texas1 284.jpg
TPR take over!
Texas1 287.jpg
Weeeeeee...
Texas1 276.jpg
Close up of the front of the train.
Texas1 289.jpg
Let us check out this puppy.
Texas1 290.jpg
Go this way.
Texas1 291.jpg
History of the ride.
Texas1 292.jpg
Rules of the ride.
Texas1 293.jpg
Just relaxing on the big wheel.
Texas1 305.jpg
One crazy flat ride.
Texas1 304.jpg
Up and over.
Texas1 307.jpg
This should have been renamed Sauna of Death: The Ride
Texas1 309.jpg
You do get a nice view of the area.
Texas1 313.jpg
Cotton Bowl.
Texas1 315.jpg
Checkers anyone?
Texas1 317.jpg
Oooooo.....
Texas1 320.jpg
I always ride these things.
Texas1 323.jpg
This one is an older one.
Texas1 327.jpg
Here is some history about the ride.
Texas1 339.jpg
The dark ride was fantastic!! Bill Tracy designed this one. He was the best.
Texas1 334.jpg
I loved this room.
Texas1 335.jpg
Does it count as a credit?
Texas1 342.jpg
It had some descent theming on the outside as well.
Texas1 331.jpg
Paul survived.
Texas1 344.jpg
Log Flume!
Texas1 345.jpg
Random Indian.
Texas1 346.jpg
Into the tunnel of doom!
Texas1 350.jpg
For a fair log ride, this one was not too shabby.
Texas1 352.jpg
Uh oh!
Texas1 353.jpg
Aaaaaahhhhh! Evil Tree!
Texas1 354.jpg
Evil....Mushroom?
Texas1 361.jpg
The big drop.
Texas1 363.jpg
The fun house facade was pretty fancy.
flowrider1.jpg
Oh, yeah, we also had an hour of ERT on the Flow Rider with dinner and alcohol after the fair closed! It was an amazing evening!
texas1_366.jpg
And we leave you with a scary clown robot.
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:33 pm.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Such a shame, SFoT used to be one of my favorite parks. I'll probably wait until I know they put customers first again before I return.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Erik Johnson wrote:you would have thought that the park would have been a tiny bit hospitable to a group of 100 (with many international and first time visitors). The answer was a big, NO! As much as Robb and Elissa tried, the park said no to any ERT, backstage tours, or even a simple hello from management. Mind you, this was planned before the Texas Giant accident. It also did not help that operations were quite abysmal even with a Qbot. It was pretty obvious that the park needs to spend more time training employees. It pretty much became a, "Screw You, Six Flags Day!" I am sure that I will make it back in a few years, but they really need to do a shake up with the upper management of the park.

We did end up getting an early walk-back to Mr. Freeze, but that was after having to go over the heads of the group sales people at SFOT and speak with corporate. I thank them for at least walking back our group a few minutes before the park opened and getting us on Freeze, but it was nothing compared to the hospitality we were shown from all the other Six Flags parks on the tour, or even from SFOT in years past.

Honestly, from a customer service or group sales standpoint, our visit to SFOT was unacceptable, but at least the Texas State Fair made up for it. Six Flags Over Texas could certainly learn a few things from the wonderful crew that made our fair visit so amazing!

And thankfully the other Six Flags properties on the trip helped show the people in our group whom have had very little exposure to Six Flags prior that not all of the parks are as un-hospitable as their peers in Arlington.

--Robb "St. Louis, Fiesta Texas, & Great America - Go teach 'em how it's done!" Alvey ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:37 pm

SFOT was pathetic in every way. Unacceptable for the chain to allow their flagship park to deteriorate like this.

On a brighter note, the dark house at Summer's Adventure was great!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dragon Khan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:36 pm

200% agreed with the other SF parks' hospitality, especially St Louis. But thepark that impressed me most on this topic, was doubtlessly SDC. I swear my roomie and I were looking at the park map, and a park employee literally crossed the alley and jump on us to ask us if we needed help / directions ! Every single operator started conversations with us and wanted to know what we thought of their jewel. They really did a great job at making feel us at home and giving us the best possible day out. oh, andthe operator at METEOR (little Amerricka was FANTASTIC too)
Now, SFOT... mini Mine Train crew... is it compulsory to wait for AT LEAST five minutes discussing together with your finger on the dispatch button, and everything have been checked 100 times ? At least, there was Titan (my first Giovannola hyper) to save the day (and Reverse Blast was very good too... even if I found the St Louis version a tad bit more intense)
Top woodies: 1: Outlaw Run / 2: BoulderDash / 3: El Toro / 4: Phoenix / 5: Tonnerre de Zeus
Top Steelies: 1: DRAGON KHAN / 2: Expedition Geforce / 3: Top Thrill Dragster/ 4: Goliath (Holland) / 5: Superman (Madrid)

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:38 pm

I was blown away by Summer Adventures. I had only read negative stuff about the park online and was very skeptical, but as soon as we called them and told them we no longer needed a full day at SFoT and would like to do something nice for our Trip Participants they worked with us and were fabulous!

The ops were great, rides were surprising, and even the food was great!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive