TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I think the timing of announcements can't always be attributed to the project being built - if anything it is a "new" trend to announce next year plans in the summer. Before the internet (read: before leaks revealed plans well in advance) and up until a few years back most plans for new attractions were announced in the fall as a way to drum up season pass sales when they were put on sale in the fall - most of the major Cedar Point rides comes to mind (Mantis, Wicked Twister, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick) were all announced after Labor Day. Millennium Force wasn't scheduled to be announced until the fall but when photos of track being hidden in the woods behind the park appear the announcement was moved forward to late July.

And just because you could see construction from a nearby road has nothing to do with announcement schedules - sometimes parks like to play into that - Cedar Point was going to announce Top Thrill Dragster in mid/late 2002 but the buzz over track showing up and heavy construction pushed the announcement back to early 2003. Or in the case of Silver Dollar City were they denied anything was being built despite Outlaw Run's construction well in progress.

Announcements all come down to the park's marketing strategy - do they want to ride the wave of mystery from buzz the construction is causing? Do they want to be in front of leaks? Are they trying to push season pass or group sales?

1) Is Darien Lake going to Keep predator and add to their currently low coaster count (as compared to Canada's Wonderland thats only a few hours away) and simply build the lake monster CLOSER to the lake...

I don't know where you get low coaster count since the six coasters Darien Lake has is not a bad number considering the size of the park. Wonderland is a huge park that services a very large population base in comparison to Darien Lake so it's going to have more coasters.

I'm hoping this ride will be built in a new location. I can't see having what would be the park's two biggest coasters, RoS and Lake Monster, sitting right next to each other. Some parts of the park need a little more foot traffic like the Twister/Tin Lizzies area and a big new ride like Lake Monster would definitely do that.

I do not see Darien Lake as having a low coaster count at all. If Lake Monster is a go, it will be a pretty big addition for the park. If the park really wants to get back on the map, I feel that 3 major coasters have to be at the park. RoS and Lake Monster would be 2, and maybe another new coaster will come in around 5 years. Right now, the only reason for a person would travel a far distance to the park would be for RoS. Lake Monster would be another reason when built. Think about it, would people go to Cedar Point if coasters like TTD, Millennium, Gatekeeper, and Maverick didn't exist?

1) Is Darien Lake going to Keep predator and add to their currently low coaster count (as compared to Canada's Wonderland thats only a few hours away) and simply build the lake monster CLOSER to the lake...

I don't know where you get low coaster count since the six coasters Darien Lake has is not a bad number considering the size of the park. Wonderland is a huge park that services a very large population base in comparison to Darien Lake so it's going to have more coasters.

I'm hoping this ride will be built in a new location. I can't see having what would be the park's two biggest coasters, RoS and Lake Monster, sitting right next to each other. Some parts of the park need a little more foot traffic like the Twister/Tin Lizzies area and a big new ride like Lake Monster would definitely do that.

It depends on the management. It took cedar fair taking over cw before they got 1 truly major coaster. Before that, ride of steel blew away anything there. Also, darien has close to 3 million people to draw from within an hours drive. There are successful parks with less than that base that add major attractions every year.

I find it very frustrating that there has been a roller coaster just rotting in a parking lot at DL since 2006. I just dont understand why it was never erected, and put to use.

From what I've heard personally about this coaster is that, it was given to the park after it was sold from six flags, but the park that it was removed from, didn't remove it properly. Not to mention obviously the coaster isn't ALL there. I remember hearing the wires were incorrectly cut, and not every necessity of the ride was given to the park. Honestly if what I heard (Probably close to 3 or 4 years ago) is correct, that ride will continue to sit and rot until it is sent to the scrap yard!

Thank you for the info! That really helped my pondering! Now, with that being said, since it cannot be re-erected, its time to scrap! Like, now! Lol!

So I did some looking into it to see if there was any pattern at all to when and/or how they announce rides at Darien, and I have to say, there is NO PATTERN WHATSOEVER! Here's why I say that...

On January 13th 2008 - the park announced the addition of their 6th (or 7th if you count the hoot n' holler) Roller Coaster to be built, the OCC MotoCoaster.

In March 2010 - Darien lake announced the expansion of the Water park, Splashtown.

On March 2nd 2012, the park announced the addition of Rowdy's Ridge, the Kiddie Area

and Lastly

On September 21st 2012 - Darien Lake announced Blast Off! and Ignite the Night.

Comparing this to other announcement dates from other parks...

August 9th 2012 - Silver Dollar City (Sister Park of Darien Lake) Officially announces Outlaw Run

August 13th 2012 - Cedar Point announces GateKeeper

August 8th 2013 - Kings Island is to announce new Roller Coaster

August 21st 2013 - DollyWood ( a sister park of Darien Lake) is to announce a New MAJOR attraction

So what I'm wondering now is, Will Darien Lake to any sort of Teaser for this "new coaster" at all? or will they do what they did last year with Blast off and just post it to their FaceBook page on a random day in September again? I'm also wondering Why would 2 of Darien Lakes sister parks have announcement dates in August, for 2 Roller Coasters (Not sure if thats true for DollyWood) and then have Darien Lake announce their new coaster after Labor day? Thoughts?

So I did some looking into it to see if there was any pattern at all to when and/or how they announce rides at Darien, and I have to say, there is NO PATTERN WHATSOEVER! Here's why I say that...

On January 13th 2008 - the park announced the addition of their 6th (or 7th if you count the hoot n' holler) Roller Coaster to be built, the OCC MotoCoaster.

In March 2010 - Darien lake announced the expansion of the Water park, Splashtown.

On March 2nd 2012, the park announced the addition of Rowdy's Ridge, the Kiddie Area

and Lastly

Comparing this to other announcement dates from other parks...

August 9th 2012 - Silver Dollar City (Sister Park of Darien Lake) Officially announces Outlaw Run

August 13th 2012 - Cedar Point announces GateKeeper

August 8th 2013 - Kings Island is to announce new Roller Coaster

August 21st 2013 - DollyWood ( a sister park of Darien Lake) is to announce a New MAJOR attraction

So what I'm wondering now is, Will Darien Lake to any sort of Teaser for this "new coaster" at all? or will they do what they did last year with Blast off and just post it to their FaceBook page on a random day in September again? I'm also wondering Why would 2 of Darien Lakes sister parks have announcement dates in August, for 2 Roller Coasters (Not sure if thats true for DollyWood) and then have Darien Lake announce their new coaster after Labor day? Thoughts?

For the last coaster, keep in mind Darien Lake was still owned by Parc and not Herschend. Plus, the MotoCoaster is a production model and required a lot less time to set up than a major new coaster. If they are indeed building a new, custom coaster for next year, I would imagine that it would be announced in the next month.

and Lastly

I see a pattern. They don't announce anything during the summer.

I have a feeling that we won't have to wait much longer for an announcement. People have gotten pretty angry when the park made announcements in March, so last year, the announcement was made earlier. With Herschend in control now, I believe that the announcement will come more towards Fright Fest, so that Predator can be closed early if it is getting demolished.

If they plan on closing Predator early they should advertise getting your last rides in soon.

If they are wise and want to help season pass sales when they go on sale they should announce their new attraction before the end of the season, especailly since Darien Lake doesn't stay open all the way through October.

and Lastly

I see a pattern. They don't announce anything during the summer.

I wonder why Darien Lake waits until the fall or the following spring before announcing anything new?

I would expect Predator to close when daily operation stops. In the past, when rides were closed for removal, it was the beginning of September. Demolishing the structure won't take too long, but pouring footers over the lake and actually building the structure will take the longest, depending how the weather acts. When things start to thaw in the spring, testing will most likely start. I forget where I read it, but most of the coasters will only operate when temps are over 50 (maybe it was 40, I'm not 100% sure).

For the last coaster, keep in mind Darien Lake was still owned by Parc and not Herschend. Plus, the MotoCoaster is a production model and required a lot less time to set up than a major new coaster. If they are indeed building a new, custom coaster for next year, I would imagine that it would be announced in the next month.

That is a good point, but I'm saying that with them having to remove a ride for a bigger (and hopefully better one) They need to tell us soon what's going on. And for the record, That small survey on the huss frisbee - Sidewinder, I would not be more disappointed if that's what they opened instead of the Lake Monster. In my opinion, its both or Just the coaster. Not just the SideWinder. I mean all the enthusiasts would be completely let down if this coaster was pushed back to make way for a MaXair type ride. Sure the Frisbee is a fun ride and all. But I'd much rather see the well needed coaster first. not a frisbee. (of course if it is a frisbee i want the maXair "Giant Frisbee" or "Giant Star" or whatever its original name is, not the tiny little frisbee. that would be like a little swinging ufo. just saying) I'm gonna patiently wait for FrightFest to roll around and if we don't hear anything about the coaster or see any signs of construction, then I'm sure that this 2014 coaster was a sheer disappointment that won't happen. Sorry to be so pessimistic about it.

EDIT: the huss website has a slim difference between the Frisbee XL and the Giant Frisbee not sure which is which...

I love Screaming Swings but they don't exactly have the reliability of a Giant Frisbee. Cedar Point has been having quite a lot of problems with there's and I know there was another park (I want to say silver dollar city) that removed theirs due to mechanical issues and failures

Considering the price of both I don't see DL getting both in the same year. I understand many people's desire to finally get a new coaster, heck I'd like to see them add a new coaster in the park but it wouldn't bother me if it was delayed a year as it would just mean that they can take a bit more time in refining the desgin and make it the best coaster possible.

I'm not sure if Darien has the attendance to go with a Giant frisbee, but of course that's what I'd prefer....or even better a Screaming Swing

If Darien didn't have the attendance I don't think Herschend would have entertained the idea as a survey. I'd like to think that Kennywood is about the same size as Darien Lake and their Zamperla Giant Discovery is equally, if not a bit better, than the Huss models. It spins in both directions during the ride and the seats aren't as confining.