TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Bad news for RoS. As the train was coming into the station the brakes closed. A maintenance guy went to manually unlock the brakes and something shot out at him. He had about a 2 inch cut on his head and was bleeding badly. RoS may or may not reopen today. The passengers were being evacuated with a ladder.

Edit- Corn Popper is closed for the season according to DL's app.

All this talk about erecting the coaster in storage is great but we don't even know if Darien Lake has rights to the coaster. Six Flags could very well have put it in their sale clause to PARC in 2007 to store it there until they find a new home for it or scrap it- or Six Flags could be paying Darien Lake to keep it there.

^^And your link to this information is where?

Edit - In addition, I just don't see the Herschend family dumping money into the scrap heap of a stand-up coaster that they inherited when they bought the park. That would be like taking an older rotted smaller, crappier version of Mantis and sinking tons of money into a refurbishment.

It doesn't matter how much money you sink into it, the coaster was never any good to begin with AND had tons of technical difficulties during it's life span including poor loading capacity which created excessively long wait times. I rode it when it was new at Six Flags Great Adventure (after it came from SFMM) and I didn't like it as I remember it being rough, bangy and totally lacking in the thrill department - not to mention it WAS a ridiculously long wait.

When you can compare it to the Togo stand-up's at CW & KD and say that they blow Shockwave/Batman: The Escape away, you really know the coaster must have sucked.

I really, really wish the Herschend's would sell the scrap and get this off the lot so we could end the speculation about this crappy coaster being rebuilt!

Edited by Philrad71

^^And your link to this information is where?

Maybe you should read a little better because no where in my post did I say Six Flags owns it. Didn't know I needed a link to something from my own head.

Maybe you should practice reading and working on your tone. Philrad was not addressing your post.

^ is different than ^^

Edited by larrygator

I think lake monster is a definite go. I heard today from crew members and maintenance members that all parts were on order. Plans have been cleared for the modifications and were especially likely due to the failure of Blastoff! The park is looking for redemption. No extra trains for other rides

I think lake monster is a definite go. I heard today from crew members and maintenance members that all parts were on order. Plans have been cleared for the modifications and were especially likely due to the failure of Blastoff! The park is looking for redemption. No extra trains for other rides

Did the crew members specify if Lake Monster is indeed an RMC creation, and/or if it will replace Predator?

For what it's worth, I like the name 'lake monster.' Beats the hell out of uninspired 'bizarro,' 'superman,' or half the other names out there. I also like 'predator' a lot and hope it stays. It's a beautiful looking ride.

Blast Off doesn't seem like a failure to me. Every time I have visited the park, the line is packed. I would say that it has a longer line then RoS. But many factors can say that it was a failure. Attendance really overall hasn't changed, and the ride continues to be a mechanical nightmare. Its low capacity doesn't help the issue either. If the park is seriously considering a "rebuild" however, this is a step in the right direction. If you ask any person, would they rather have a thrilling drop tower, or an old Himalaya type ride, the answer will be drop tower 8/10 times. It was Raging Seas' time to go, and it was a good decision for the park, seeing that Sleighride is a very similar ride anyways.

Edit- Blast Off cost the park 1.5 million dollars, and I remember seeing an interview from the president(?) of SDC saying that a park wants 20% of a boost in income. So the park was expecting about 300,000 dollars back from that investment. Overall, the park spent 5 mil this year on improvements, so maybe the goal of 1 million back wasn't reached yet.

Edited by coasterkid124

Didn't Sleigh Ride get a paint job a few years back? Running Sleigh Ride backwards did nothing for the ride even though I hated going backwards on it. It doesn't go fast anymore either.

Raging Seas and Sleigh Ride are/were nothing alike but considering there were always one or two "boats" broken on Raging Seas and the ride really looking worn it was only a matter of time before it was retired. Oddly that ride would have fit in with the boardwalk theme they turned the area into this year.

^Yeah it did. This season the sleighs have been upholstered too. The ride is being refurbished little by little every season. It was to my understanding that a lot of electrical issues have plagued Raging Seas, so it was better just to remove it instead of dishing out more money to an old ride. There is a similar ride at Marineland anyways.

http://www.darienlake.com/rundead

WebBanner_rUNDEAD_2.png.e390f89c18549b8c75207e492129d5e8.png

rUNDEAD Zombie Run

Fans of horror movies and zombie-culture will get to experience the undead apocalypse firsthand as they go on the run of their lives through the zombie-infested terrain around Darien Lake. Race registration includes admission to FrightFest at Darien Lake.

What is rUNDEAD?

rUNDEAD is the most infectious 5K on the planet. You’re not just running for the finish line, you’re running from hordes of the flesh-craving zombies. Guests will have the option to experience both sides of the end of days; the adrenaline rush as they sprint from the undead, or the thrill of stalking the living as a member of the zombie horde.

Registration Info…

Save $10 when you register in advance! Advance race registration is $50 for humans and zombies and includes…

• Race bib
  • Free rUNDEAD T-Shirt
  • All Day Admission to FrightFest at Darien Lake Amusement Park
  • Admittance to the post-race End-of-the-World Party
  • Professional zombie makeup (Zombies only)

How Does it Work?

What do you get when you cross flag football, a 5K race, and the zombie apocalypse? rUNDEAD. Each human will start with a flag belt and 3 flags. If they can complete the 5K race route with at least one flag remaining they’re considered a survivor. If the horde gets all of a runners flags they are considered dead. “Dead” humans can still complete the race but are not eligible for awards or prizes. Each flag still intact when crossing the finish line can be exchanged for a raffle ticket. The more flags you finish with the better your odds of winning some sweet prizes.

Rules for the Apocalypse

• Runners who loose all of their flags are considered “dead.” The dead are not infected and thus will NOT become zombies. Humans who die are dead and stay that way. No hunting other runners or taking their flags.
  • Humans may not pick up flags off the ground or take flags from other runners.
  • Evasion is your best and only tactic. Physical contact with the undead is strictly prohibited. No weapons or mock weapons are allowed on the premesis, no exceptions. Violators will be automatically disqualified, evicted from the property without refund, or potentially face criminal charges.
  • Flags should be visible and worn on the sides of your body. Your rUNDEAD bib should be pinned on the front of your body. You race bib is your ticket to the apocalypse…no race bib, no running.
  • There’s strentgh in numbers. Assemble your zombie apocalypse team and work together. Remember, you don’t have to be faster than the horde…just faster than your friend.
  • Intoxicated humans don’t survive and zombies don’t party. The use of alcohol prior to your flight is strictly prohibited. Intoxicated guests will not race, no refunds will be issued.

Zombie Survival Kit

Every sucessful survivalist knows that your kit can mean the difference between living another day and becoming one of the undead horde. Here’s what you’ll need…

• If you’ve pre-registered, you’ll need a valid form of ID to pick up your race packet.
  • A signed race waiver, either completed digitally with pre-registration or in-person on race day.
  • Since we encourage you to don your best apocalypse costume for the race bringing a change of clothes would be wise. Unless riding coasters in zombie getup is your thing…we won’t judge.
  • Parking is $8 per car on the day of the event. Assemble your zombie apocalypse team and carpool to save time and cash.

PageImage1_rUNDEAD.png.e816a7a969c22bb41f05ef0ad9fa6269.png

I find it very frustrating that there has been a roller coaster just rotting in a parking lot at DL since 2006. I just dont understand why it was never erected, and put to use.

From what I've heard personally about this coaster is that, it was given to the park after it was sold from six flags, but the park that it was removed from, didn't remove it properly. Not to mention obviously the coaster isn't ALL there. I remember hearing the wires were incorrectly cut, and not every necessity of the ride was given to the park. Honestly if what I heard (Probably close to 3 or 4 years ago) is correct, that ride will continue to sit and rot until it is sent to the scrap yard!

Edited by SbSteveZ

Sorry for the double post, but something about Lake Monster is bugging me... I want to mention that earlier today (and/or later yesterday) DollyWood - A sister park of Darien Lake announced they will be revealing "2014 Plans from Dolly Herself!" on August 21st. If Darien Lake is supposed to be getting this big awesome ride, why haven't we heard anything from them except for these few little surveys? And if its supposed to be a big ride, why hasn't construction began yet? By this time last year GateKeeper was well under development with the process of Removing the Disaster Transport. This makes me wonder 2 things

1) Is Darien Lake going to Keep predator and add to their currently low coaster count (as compared to Canada's Wonderland thats only a few hours away) and simply build the lake monster CLOSER to the lake...

-OR-

2) Has Darien Lake not began the de-struction of Predator to Make Way for Lake Monster because you need to pass under the Predator to reach the Ride of Steel - the Parks star attraction...

Sure both of these may be way off... BUT I'm thinking if they don't make an announcement by the end of august, Lake Monster is a no for 2014 because when else would they announce a new BIG ride that could be easily seen from the Allegheny Rd ALL WINTER / SPRING LONG? Introduce it on Media Day 2014? That's my opinion on this. Not to mention I HATED that DL made us wait until MARCH to hear about a new kiddie area. I know it was a big success but making your fans wait all winter is alittle insane when you're the "Largest Theme Park in WNY"

I haven't ever been personally let down by this park, YET. But if they don't make a move soon to show us the new and fancy Lake Monster, the park (in my mind) won't be worth it anymore.

-REMEMBER- These are JUST MY OPINIONS, nothing in here is complete FACT from anywhere, its just me sharing what I'm thinking about my Home Park to other enthusiasts.

I would like to see some teasers for next years plans. I have heard so many rumors as to what will happen that I have no idea what is true and what's not. Lake Monster was planned to open in 2014 according to the e-mail sent out, but who knows? Anything is possible. Last year, Blast Off was officially announced in late or mid September.