Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 28 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby coasterkid124 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:22 pm

^Yeah it did. This season the sleighs have been upholstered too. The ride is being refurbished little by little every season. It was to my understanding that a lot of electrical issues have plagued Raging Seas, so it was better just to remove it instead of dishing out more money to an old ride. There is a similar ride at Marineland anyways.
I'm actually not a kid; it's my nickname. I'm the youngest guy at my job. Only until after I created my account did I realize it made my sound like I'm 12. "Giddy up"- Cosmo Kramer Finally got an avatar!
Darien Lake coaster drought: 16 years and counting.....

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 pm

http://www.darienlake.com/rundead

WebBanner_rUNDEAD_2.png

rUNDEAD Zombie Run

Fans of horror movies and zombie-culture will get to experience the undead apocalypse firsthand as they go on the run of their lives through the zombie-infested terrain around Darien Lake. Race registration includes admission to FrightFest at Darien Lake.

What is rUNDEAD?

rUNDEAD is the most infectious 5K on the planet. You’re not just running for the finish line, you’re running from hordes of the flesh-craving zombies. Guests will have the option to experience both sides of the end of days; the adrenaline rush as they sprint from the undead, or the thrill of stalking the living as a member of the zombie horde.

Registration Info…

Save $10 when you register in advance! Advance race registration is $50 for humans and zombies and includes…
  • Race bib
  • Free rUNDEAD T-Shirt
  • All Day Admission to FrightFest at Darien Lake Amusement Park
  • Admittance to the post-race End-of-the-World Party
  • Professional zombie makeup (Zombies only)

How Does it Work?

What do you get when you cross flag football, a 5K race, and the zombie apocalypse? rUNDEAD. Each human will start with a flag belt and 3 flags. If they can complete the 5K race route with at least one flag remaining they’re considered a survivor. If the horde gets all of a runners flags they are considered dead. “Dead” humans can still complete the race but are not eligible for awards or prizes. Each flag still intact when crossing the finish line can be exchanged for a raffle ticket. The more flags you finish with the better your odds of winning some sweet prizes.

Rules for the Apocalypse

• Runners who loose all of their flags are considered “dead.” The dead are not infected and thus will NOT become zombies. Humans who die are dead and stay that way. No hunting other runners or taking their flags.
  • Humans may not pick up flags off the ground or take flags from other runners.
  • Evasion is your best and only tactic. Physical contact with the undead is strictly prohibited. No weapons or mock weapons are allowed on the premesis, no exceptions. Violators will be automatically disqualified, evicted from the property without refund, or potentially face criminal charges.
  • Flags should be visible and worn on the sides of your body. Your rUNDEAD bib should be pinned on the front of your body. You race bib is your ticket to the apocalypse…no race bib, no running.
  • There’s strentgh in numbers. Assemble your zombie apocalypse team and work together. Remember, you don’t have to be faster than the horde…just faster than your friend.
  • Intoxicated humans don’t survive and zombies don’t party. The use of alcohol prior to your flight is strictly prohibited. Intoxicated guests will not race, no refunds will be issued.

Zombie Survival Kit

Every sucessful survivalist knows that your kit can mean the difference between living another day and becoming one of the undead horde. Here’s what you’ll need…
  • If you’ve pre-registered, you’ll need a valid form of ID to pick up your race packet.
  • A signed race waiver, either completed digitally with pre-registration or in-person on race day.
  • Since we encourage you to don your best apocalypse costume for the race bringing a change of clothes would be wise. Unless riding coasters in zombie getup is your thing…we won’t judge.
  • Parking is $8 per car on the day of the event. Assemble your zombie apocalypse team and carpool to save time and cash.
PageImage1_rUNDEAD.png
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby SbSteveZ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:39 am

Vonni wrote:I find it very frustrating that there has been a roller coaster just rotting in a parking lot at DL since 2006. I just dont understand why it was never erected, and put to use.

From what I've heard personally about this coaster is that, it was given to the park after it was sold from six flags, but the park that it was removed from, didn't remove it properly. Not to mention obviously the coaster isn't ALL there. I remember hearing the wires were incorrectly cut, and not every necessity of the ride was given to the park. Honestly if what I heard (Probably close to 3 or 4 years ago) is correct, that ride will continue to sit and rot until it is sent to the scrap yard!
Last edited by SbSteveZ on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 am.
Last Coaster: Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point
100TH COASTER: Steel Force @ Dorney Park
RIDE ON!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby SbSteveZ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 am

Sorry for the double post, but something about Lake Monster is bugging me... I want to mention that earlier today (and/or later yesterday) DollyWood - A sister park of Darien Lake announced they will be revealing "2014 Plans from Dolly Herself!" on August 21st. If Darien Lake is supposed to be getting this big awesome ride, why haven't we heard anything from them except for these few little surveys? And if its supposed to be a big ride, why hasn't construction began yet? By this time last year GateKeeper was well under development with the process of Removing the Disaster Transport. This makes me wonder 2 things
1) Is Darien Lake going to Keep predator and add to their currently low coaster count (as compared to Canada's Wonderland thats only a few hours away) and simply build the lake monster CLOSER to the lake...
-OR-
2) Has Darien Lake not began the de-struction of Predator to Make Way for Lake Monster because you need to pass under the Predator to reach the Ride of Steel - the Parks star attraction...

Sure both of these may be way off... BUT I'm thinking if they don't make an announcement by the end of august, Lake Monster is a no for 2014 because when else would they announce a new BIG ride that could be easily seen from the Allegheny Rd ALL WINTER / SPRING LONG? Introduce it on Media Day 2014? That's my opinion on this. Not to mention I HATED that DL made us wait until MARCH to hear about a new kiddie area. I know it was a big success but making your fans wait all winter is alittle insane when you're the "Largest Theme Park in WNY"

I haven't ever been personally let down by this park, YET. But if they don't make a move soon to show us the new and fancy Lake Monster, the park (in my mind) won't be worth it anymore.

-REMEMBER- These are JUST MY OPINIONS, nothing in here is complete FACT from anywhere, its just me sharing what I'm thinking about my Home Park to other enthusiasts. :)
Last Coaster: Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point
100TH COASTER: Steel Force @ Dorney Park
RIDE ON!

Postby coasterkid124 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:13 pm

I would like to see some teasers for next years plans. I have heard so many rumors as to what will happen that I have no idea what is true and what's not. Lake Monster was planned to open in 2014 according to the e-mail sent out, but who knows? Anything is possible. Last year, Blast Off was officially announced in late or mid September.
I'm actually not a kid; it's my nickname. I'm the youngest guy at my job. Only until after I created my account did I realize it made my sound like I'm 12. "Giddy up"- Cosmo Kramer Finally got an avatar!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby AndrewRnR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:57 pm

I think the timing of announcements can't always be attributed to the project being built - if anything it is a "new" trend to announce next year plans in the summer. Before the internet (read: before leaks revealed plans well in advance) and up until a few years back most plans for new attractions were announced in the fall as a way to drum up season pass sales when they were put on sale in the fall - most of the major Cedar Point rides comes to mind (Mantis, Wicked Twister, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick) were all announced after Labor Day. Millennium Force wasn't scheduled to be announced until the fall but when photos of track being hidden in the woods behind the park appear the announcement was moved forward to late July.

And just because you could see construction from a nearby road has nothing to do with announcement schedules - sometimes parks like to play into that - Cedar Point was going to announce Top Thrill Dragster in mid/late 2002 but the buzz over track showing up and heavy construction pushed the announcement back to early 2003. Or in the case of Silver Dollar City were they denied anything was being built despite Outlaw Run's construction well in progress.

Announcements all come down to the park's marketing strategy - do they want to ride the wave of mystery from buzz the construction is causing? Do they want to be in front of leaks? Are they trying to push season pass or group sales?

Postby Geauga Dog » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:11 pm

SbSteveZ wrote:1) Is Darien Lake going to Keep predator and add to their currently low coaster count (as compared to Canada's Wonderland thats only a few hours away) and simply build the lake monster CLOSER to the lake...

I don't know where you get low coaster count since the six coasters Darien Lake has is not a bad number considering the size of the park. Wonderland is a huge park that services a very large population base in comparison to Darien Lake so it's going to have more coasters.

I'm hoping this ride will be built in a new location. I can't see having what would be the park's two biggest coasters, RoS and Lake Monster, sitting right next to each other. Some parts of the park need a little more foot traffic like the Twister/Tin Lizzies area and a big new ride like Lake Monster would definitely do that.

Postby coasterkid124 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 pm

I do not see Darien Lake as having a low coaster count at all. If Lake Monster is a go, it will be a pretty big addition for the park. If the park really wants to get back on the map, I feel that 3 major coasters have to be at the park. RoS and Lake Monster would be 2, and maybe another new coaster will come in around 5 years. Right now, the only reason for a person would travel a far distance to the park would be for RoS. Lake Monster would be another reason when built. Think about it, would people go to Cedar Point if coasters like TTD, Millennium, Gatekeeper, and Maverick didn't exist?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Tdsblo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Geauga Dog wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:1) Is Darien Lake going to Keep predator and add to their currently low coaster count (as compared to Canada's Wonderland thats only a few hours away) and simply build the lake monster CLOSER to the lake...

I don't know where you get low coaster count since the six coasters Darien Lake has is not a bad number considering the size of the park. Wonderland is a huge park that services a very large population base in comparison to Darien Lake so it's going to have more coasters.

I'm hoping this ride will be built in a new location. I can't see having what would be the park's two biggest coasters, RoS and Lake Monster, sitting right next to each other. Some parts of the park need a little more foot traffic like the Twister/Tin Lizzies area and a big new ride like Lake Monster would definitely do that.

It depends on the management. It took cedar fair taking over cw before they got 1 truly major coaster. Before that, ride of steel blew away anything there. Also, darien has close to 3 million people to draw from within an hours drive. There are successful parks with less than that base that add major attractions every year.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:42 am

SbSteveZ wrote:
Vonni wrote:I find it very frustrating that there has been a roller coaster just rotting in a parking lot at DL since 2006. I just dont understand why it was never erected, and put to use.

From what I've heard personally about this coaster is that, it was given to the park after it was sold from six flags, but the park that it was removed from, didn't remove it properly. Not to mention obviously the coaster isn't ALL there. I remember hearing the wires were incorrectly cut, and not every necessity of the ride was given to the park. Honestly if what I heard (Probably close to 3 or 4 years ago) is correct, that ride will continue to sit and rot until it is sent to the scrap yard!

Thank you for the info! That really helped my pondering! Now, with that being said, since it cannot be re-erected, its time to scrap! Like, now! Lol!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!