Djurs Sommerland photo report.

127 pictures of the best non city park in Scandinavia.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Djurs Sommerland photo report.

Postby _koppen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 am

So I finally visited Djurs Sommerland again. I had something preventing me from going last year, so It was a really long awaited trip.

Of course the park delivered what it always does. A class A+ experience.
A long with Sweden's both city parks, Gröna Lund and Liseberg, this is the best park we have here in northern Europe.

Since I have not ridden Piraten in two years, I was very curious to see if it still was my favorite, since I have ridden a lot of new coasters since my last visit. The answer is YES! It still is the best IMO. The sher amount of ejector and the from start to finnish intensity is just unmatched by any other ride. The only two rides in the world that could change my opinion would probably be El Toro and Skyrush.

New for this year was Juvelen, a brad new family thrill coaster, made by our one and only Intamin of Wollerau, Switzerland.
It is probably one of the best rides in the world, if you count in all aspects like theming, ride experience and accessibility for all ages. (if you don't count Disney rides). The only other family thrill coaster I can think of the deliveres this performance is Winjas.

It's just a really good ride, with a good amount of track, cool pre-show, good launches (the second one is pretty insane) and really cool trains. The direction changes after the second launch was seriously some of the most fun I have had on a coaster.

Since I am a huge fanboy of Djurs, I didn't want to come here and rave about how good Juvelen is sounding like a fanboy, but it really is amazing. If you ever have the chance to come and ride it, do it!

But, Piraten is still the star of the park, for me. Even though Juvelen is pretty darn close behind.

Another cool thing with Djurs is that there are no bad coasters here, (except the kiddie credit) they are all quality A material.
They do a really good job at adding good rides, and I think a lot of it has to do with the CEO being such a fan of theme parks himself.

Ayway, onto the pictures. I will split it in two parts.

99.JPG
Let's end part one with a little splash. The rest of the pics will be up very soon.

98.JPG
And the drop.

97.JPG
The lift.

96.JPG
Children's flume ride.

95.JPG
Djurs is really shaping up to become the Europa Park of Scandinavia, and I can't wait to see how it looks in 10 years from now.

94.JPG
I'm just so impressed with how much theming they have done in the recent years. Sure it has always been great, but now they are just going balls to the walls.

93.JPG
A Zamperla spinning ship.

92.JPG
Tilting family drop ride, with a cool theme.

91.JPG
In the sunlight.

90.JPG
Splash area.

9.JPG
No, this one actually works!

89.JPG
The splash box.

88.JPG
Or what do you think?

87.JPG
Just amazing looking.

86.JPG
It also has some GREAT theming.

85.JPG
But more on that later, here is the park's water coaster.

84.JPG
And heres the awesome helix, right after the drop.

83.JPG
Here is the parks main attraction, and my favorite roller coaster in the world.

82.JPG
Let's walk in to my favorite area of the park.

81.JPG
This is something I like to see at more parks. Fruit stands. I'm not talking about more healthy food options, just fresh fruit. Some water melon and pineapple was like a gift from the goods in the heat during the day.

80.JPG
Balloon ride. I didn't take pictures of all the rides, there are a few more, including the kiddie credit.

8.JPG
A SBNO topple tower?

79.JPG
The other way.

78.JPG
Helicopter ride.

77.JPG
complete with rotating car wash.

76.JPG
Little car ride.

75.JPG
Let's take a walk through the children's area.

74.JPG
The park has a big picnic are, with grills, that were really popular during lunch time.

73.JPG
And the other way is green as well.

72.JPG
Did I mention that the park is green?

71.JPG
Walking through the western area again, now with another target.

70.JPG
Here's a funky looking children's ride.

7.JPG
And a little more nice.

69.JPG
Let's keep walking in this great park.

68.JPG
Some of the greenery is really starting to grow in.

67.JPG
This ride is just such a great package.

66.JPG
Here's the exit ramp, leading in to the gift shop. The guy in green is actually the park's CEO, a big coaster enthusiast.

65.JPG
Some rock work, and a waterfall on top of it. Good looking? YES!

64.JPG
The inside of the station had a really good atmosphere.

63.JPG
Looking towards the ride's exit.

62.JPG
The attention to detail...

61.JPG
Simply stunning.

60.JPG
This was full, earlier in the day.

6.JPG
Just really nice.

59.JPG
I see you as well, more on you later!

58.JPG
The theming for the ride is just stunning. Every time this park builds a new coaster, it just gets better and better.

57.JPG
Since the opening report, roof has been added above the launches, like the other similar rides that Intamin has built.
However, I don't like these roofs. They don't match the level of theming that the rest of the ride has. I know that they were rushed to get them up in the last minute, but I really hope that the park replaces these ones with some better looking roofs in the coming off-season.

56.JPG
This is the only picture I took of the actual track of Juvelen, the park's brad new Intamin ATV coaster. The sun was not on my side, and there really wasn't any other angles to get a good photo of it.

55.JPG
This weirdly awesome flat was new last year. To my disappointment is was broken.

54.JPG
The new Mexico area looks amazing.

53.JPG
And this is what required the relocation.

52.JPG
Just a good looking area.

51.JPG
Lots of trampolines for everyone.

50.JPG
And it looks great.

5.JPG
It is filled with awesome play grounds all over the place.

49.JPG
This is a new area of the park. Both these were relocated for this season.

48.JPG
Okay, here's one more.

47.JPG
And one last photo of Thors Hammer.

46.JPG
Going up, towards the helix.

45.JPG
Biggest, and best, drop on the ride.

44.JPG
Helix of death, above the water of death.

43.JPG
The station is just as awesome.

42.JPG
Some guys having a party.

41.JPG
The almost famous milking goat.

40.JPG
Good looking table area.

4.JPG
The park is so nice and green.

39.JPG
More theming.

38.JPG
Let's walk to the entrance.

37.JPG
The mouse part of the ride.

36.JPG
See for yourself.

35.JPG
It has some great theming.

34.JPG
Ah, yes. One of the best family rides in northern Europe.

33.JPG
What is this I see?

32.JPG
Let's keep walking. The park is spotless, thanks to all the cleaners.

31.JPG
Here is the Cannibal Pots, a standard tea cup ride, that is just so much more fun thanks to the name and theme.

30.JPG
Non political correct ride, which had a really annoying ride attendant with a water gun.

3.JPG
I spy something AWESOME! Is it Piraten? Yes! (for those of you who have seen Brother Bear).

29.JPG
Moving along to Africa. Sorry, no photos of King Kong :(

28.JPG
Buffalo themed bumper cars, new for last year.

27.JPG
Awesome backwards american flag themed wave swinger.

26.JPG
The other way.

25.JPG
Here's the wild west section of the park.

24.JPG
Just as the log flume, this ride has some great theming.

23.JPG
Floating down the calm part of the ride.

22.JPG
The sunlight kinda ruins this one.

21.JPG
Let's do the park's rafting ride!

20.JPG
Of course, it's not a sommerland without a big ass playground.

2.JPG
Here's the entrance.

19.JPG
A really good looking flag.

18.JPG
Can you see the rainbow?

17.JPG
Still working.

16.JPG
Here is the first splash, and the lift up to the final drop.

15.JPG
The theming is great!

14.JPG
With a big splash.

13.JPG
Djurs is home to the best looking Flume in Scandinavia (which really doesn't say much)

12.JPG
Some cleverly hidden slides.

11.JPG
Just a really good looking flat ride.

10.JPG
Hurry up and get on, before it breaks down!!! (which it did later)

1.JPG
Welcome to Djurs Sommerland!

If you wish to watch more pictures of Juvelen, from backstage, check out Hanno's opening report here

A funny thing to note is that I have never encountered this Intamin down time that everybody is talking about. And I have ridden a lot of them, plus that our parks here in Scandinavia has quite a few of them.

This day however both the Intamin rides in the park had problems. Piraten was up and running all day, but there was a mechanic in the station almost all day that watched the cable lift, and at a few times it gave away a really loud bang when the train entered the ascent. Eventually they removed one of the trains during the day, despite big crowds, so something must have gone wrong.

As for Juvelen, it only had one train operating the whole day. They had a sign in front of the entrance apologizing for it, and also a ride attendant standing there, telling people that the line was over an hour.

I don't know what was wrong with the second train, but there have been a lot of complaints about the lapbars tightening on smaller kids, so maybe that was being addressed. Anyway, it didn't look that good to have the parks new main attraction with a one train operation in the middle of the summer vacation. I only got three rides thanks to this, but I really don't mind, since the ride was so amazing.
Last edited by _koppen on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:44 am.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Djurs Sommerland photo report.

Postby Olov » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Nice photo report you have there!
My, oh my how the park has grown since my first visit some 15 years ago when the only main ride was the log flume. It was a great park then, it's an awesome park today :) (well when I visited last time in 2009 it was awesome)

Postby _koppen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Part 2

100.JPG
Water coaster from another angle.

101.JPG
Would you like some more Megalite pictures?

102.JPG
Well, you gonna get it, either way.

103.JPG
A lagoon in front of it.

105.JPG
Lift hill.

106.JPG
The queue, inside the fortress.

107.JPG
Station building

P1011298.JPG
One from the inside.

108.JPG
People getting some ejector.

109.JPG
And then some even stronger ejector.

110.JPG
Lift hill again.

111.JPG
For the cable dorks.

112.JPG
Test seat.

113.JPG
More nerd shots.

114.JPG
Heres the helix again.

115.JPG
The evil twisted hill. (but not as evil as the ones later in the layout!)

116.JPG
The helix again.

117.JPG
More megalit lift hill goodness.

118.JPG
Another lagoon.

119.JPG
The awesome skull fountain, recently closed of for the night.

120.JPG
Outside of the station, and the mechanics golf car.

121.JPG
Walkway.

122.JPG
Attention to detail.

123.JPG
Playground for the smaller pirates.

124.JPG
Some more theming, along with some built in benches.

125.JPG
A majestic sight.

126.JPG
And one last shot of Piraten.

127.JPG
A happy girl, after a REALLY good day.

The park also has a water park section of it, and the water park nerd in me wants to show you photos of it, but the truth is that it's a pretty bad one. The only decent slide is the half-pipe from Polin, but it has so much water flowing in the bottom, so you stop half way, and you have to walk out of it. There is a decent play structure from Whitewater, but the water is so could (because it has it's own water loop) that I was not able to enjoy it. Seriously, when have you ever heard small kids complaining about to cold water? Never!

They have invested a lot on the dry side in recent years, but now I think it is time for an overhaul of the water park. If they did a big investment of around €5 millions they would get so many nice slides and maybe a lazy river in, and then they could leave it for another 10 years. But something has to come to the water park soon, that's for sure.

Another thing to note is that Djurs has the best operations on their coaster in all of Scandinavia. They are so ridiculously effective, and not to mention nice and polite.

I remember one instant, on Piraten, where somebody held up the ride attendant (around the middle of the train) asking for something. Then the other one who were finished checking his side jumped over the rails and checked the rest of the other side, so that they could start the ride asap. Many MANY thumbs up for the staff.

Hope you enjoyed reading, and please leave a comment.
Fårup Sommerland is coming up on my next day of world. That is over 200 photos, including a 70 shot in action pov of the action course.
Last edited by _koppen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 pm.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Postby _koppen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Olov wrote:Nice photo report you have there!
My, oh my how the park has grown since my first visit some 15 years ago when the only main ride was the log flume. It was a great park then, it's an awesome park today :) (well when I visited last time in 2009 it was awesome)

Thank you!

I really wish that I have had the chance to visit back then, to see how the park has evolved during the years. :)
No. 1 Water Park guy!

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 pm

The park looks truly amazing! If I ever get out to Europe, I'll be sure to stop by this park!
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby StealthFan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Some really great pictures there. The park looks really different from my visit in 2009. I do have one question. Does the park still have the open fire where you can make your own bread?

-Craig

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Sneaky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Very nice report, with lots of amazing pictures.
I've always heard good things about Djurs, but apart from the coasters I didn't know a thing about the park.
Your pictures provided me great insight in the look of the park.
It really looks like a great park and I hope to visit it, preferably sooner rather than later.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Very nice photos of a very nice looking park. Piraten is quite a photogenic coaster - loved the various angles you took of the ride. I also like the look of the pirate themed area.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby GigaG » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Warning - RANT AHEAD-

Ah, yes, the elusive Mega-Lite in his natural habitat. Never been on one because for some reason, despite the rides intensity and compactness, no American park wants to buy one! :( Seriously, you have SLCs all over, and nobody wants to buy a more intense ride on a similarly small footprint? I find it hard to believe no park can advertise a Mega-Lite in America. Can't you advertise the intensity, airtime, and twistiness rather than "Loops and hangs below the track" or "Loops and goes backwards"...

And even if it costs more, what makes it any more worthwhile in somewhere like the Happy Valley where a Mega-Lite co-exists with a giant SLC? If the GP are that loop-crazy, wouldn't the people at Happy Valley want to ride the SLC instead? Or is it something with America? Lawsuit risk for an intense coaster?
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazywolf88 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm

^It's America. Our GP prefer loopy loops over actual intensity.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive