TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Linnanmäki Discussion Thread

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

^Theme Park Review has been to Linnanmaki several times over the last ten years. Here are some photo reports from their more recent visits:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/uk2006/linnanmaki/linnanmaki1.htm

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=173&linkid=6791

You can also see footage from that first trip on the Coaster Expedition Volume 8, with info on that DVD here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/volume8.htm

Edited by jedimaster1227

Has there been any updates on the ghost train? Is it even open again yet? I can't say I remember it too well but I do remember the egg ride! I hope that is still there.

-Craig

It's an amazing witch themed ghost train with awesome effects. (wind, back pokers, knacking)

TPR must go there the next scandi trip

^Back pokers actually built into each car? That's different, can't say I've been on a ghost train with cars that do that I've only experienced drop towers with back pokers. Would deffinetly be interested to try this out if I get a chance, I am a fan off a good ghost train.

-Craog

^Back pokers actually built into each car? That's different, can't say I've been on a ghost train with cars that do that I've only experienced drop towers with back pokers. Would deffinetly be interested to try this out if I get a chance, I am a fan off a good ghost train.

-Craog

The ride is by Gosseto, same guys who made the new Blå Tåget. The wind, back pokers and everything is a nice addition to the ride experience.

Funny thing: just when this thread got bumped back up, I finished my training to operate the new Ghost Train called "Kyöpelinvuoren Hotelli". Kyöpelinvuori is the living place of witches and Hotelli mean Hotel (you guessed it!). There are always 2 people operating with one as operator and one in the platform loading the cars.

The cars hold 4 people with wind effects, backpokes and vibrating seats for every person. The effects nullify the "close my eyes and ears" -manouveur often seen done by the scared because you can't block out the sense of touch! But they do their job and sometimes manage to scare me too

What I especially like about the ride are the sounds! The ambience playing in the housed queue and platform as well as inside the ride are very well made, and the same applies to the effects inside. I won't spoil them all but my favourites are a pair of duelling witches battling over the ownership of the hotel as well as two witches bathing in a sauna (adding a Finnish touch ).

However I've heard mixed reviews from the GP. Some say it's boring and that there's too much "nothing is happening" -moments, but I think it's also worth mentioning that the queue has been full every single day (that's about 20-30 minutes of waiting, about the average in Linnanmäki). Compared to the old one which had hardly ever ANY queue I'd say this is a successfull investment.

WP_000384.jpg.24f5f82303adccae75da5346608f69c9.jpg

Sadly I have no pictures of the ride yet, but here's the operating panel.

WP_000380.jpg.d40530f117fa873129dbde6fba064be1.jpg

We fooled around a bit with the touch screen and discovered a Google Translate-Finnish-version of the main screen. It was hilarious! :D

Funny thing: just when this thread got bumped back up, I finished my training to operate the new Ghost Train called "Kyöpelinvuoren Hotelli". Kyöpelinvuori is the living place of witches and Hotelli mean Hotel (you guessed it!). There are always 2 people operating with one as operator and one in the platform loading the cars.

The cars hold 4 people with wind effects, backpokes and vibrating seats for every person. The effects nullify the "close my eyes and ears" -manouveur often seen done by the scared because you can't block out the sense of touch! But they do their job and sometimes manage to scare me too

What I especially like about the ride are the sounds! The ambience playing in the housed queue and platform as well as inside the ride are very well made, and the same applies to the effects inside. I won't spoil them all but my favourites are a pair of duelling witches battling over the ownership of the hotel as well as two witches bathing in a sauna (adding a Finnish touch ).

However I've heard mixed reviews from the GP. Some say it's boring and that there's too much "nothing is happening" -moments, but I think it's also worth mentioning that the queue has been full every single day (that's about 20-30 minutes of waiting, about the average in Linnanmäki). Compared to the old one which had hardly ever ANY queue I'd say this is a successfull investment.

I look forward to the day when you post pictures of the new Ghost Train. I would like to add them to the Park Index.

• 2 weeks later...

You asked for it, you got it Larry! Here's some pics:

WP_000459.thumb.jpg.bf19faf91f2c193c836e5b90088bf642.jpg

Let's start with a ride sign.

WP_000457.jpg.601d5b62cdd060460946e3bad733b035.jpg

Here's the new facade. There are two witches on the windows on the roof waving at customers to come in.

WP_000460.jpg.6d61abb00461103d66eadd8468eef4a9.jpg

The Monorail runs right by, and two of its supports are made to look like trees. There are also two crows sitting on one of the branches and they can be heard saying some funny Finnish phrases :)

WP_000462.jpg.6d9550ad60d6a6414115e6632b5d4bb9.jpg

Here's the queue. The chain was added about a month after the ride opened, as it became clear that the overflow queue had to be directed away from the ticket booths which are located right across the plaza.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Linnanmäki has just uploaded a new photo to their FB saying: "A hibernating Linnanmäki? Nope! Construction for the next season has already started and you can see the updates in Facebook."

The photo is from where the junior bumper cars used to be (and until 2009 a HUSS Rainbow). It clearly shows a large hole dug in the ground, but if you look close enough, I think I can just make out a square-ish concrete block in the center. My fingers are crossed for a new ride of course, maybe even a drop tower! But we'll have to wait and see. It could also be something other than a ride.

Linzi1.thumb.jpg.fad0f1fb53afc44825040961ba8e2c7f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A new update in Facebook:

"Even the strongest winds cannot tip The Pit, so it should be ready next summer! I wonder what will The Pit look like in a few weeks?"

Interesting that they capsized The Pit... But it could also be the project they're calling it. If the concrete mold in the picture is the only one that there's going to be, it really narrows down the possibilities what it will be. Given the narrow space it was clear though that this wasn't going to be a giant ride of any sort - if even a ride at all. Still crossing my fingers for a good drop tower! But Linnanmäki also has to negotiate with the city when building big/tall rides, as they can't have the city's skyline change too much. I've heard that because of this the Space Shot is disguised as a "radio tower" in official documents and that the SkyLoop was planned to three different locations before it was accepted by the city.

L_2.jpg.27e7db538a18897f3264a0f3d0c38a4f.jpg

• 1 month later...

Another Facebook update by the park:

"One can hardly call it the Pit anymore. We're eagerly waiting for the publishing!"

This is starting to look a LOT like a tower ride. The park already has a Space Shot, a panoramic tower ride and two kiddie towers, so are there any other tower rides than a Star Flyer and a freefall tower? I'm still hoping for the latter, as awesome as AtmosFear at Liseberg, but only time will tell. Maybe it could have a station as awesome as in Tivoli Gardens' Star Flyer?

Also I've heard some rumors about the press release being on Valentine's Day.

pit3.jpg.48b67c7d6f3def89f5069c8ece136da1.jpg

Another Facebook update by the park:

"One can hardly call it the Pit anymore. We're eagerly waiting for the publishing!"

This is starting to look a LOT like a tower ride. The park already has a Space Shot, a panoramic tower ride and two kiddie towers, so are there any other tower rides than a Star Flyer and a freefall tower? I'm still hoping for the latter, as awesome as AtmosFear at Liseberg, but only time will tell. Maybe it could have a station as awesome as in Tivoli Gardens' Star Flyer?

Also I've heard some rumors about the press release being on Valentine's Day.

Why would they build a wooden frame for a tower ride? I think this looks more like a tall control booth.