TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

If they do build a dive machine in France, "Surrender To Your Fears" would be a great tagline for the ride

That is an awesome tagline. i like the way you think.

I would love to see BGW get a dive machine, but then dont you think they would be too much like BGT, and those park are really diff. So i think that they might get a rollercoaster, but mabey not a dive machine. And if it is a coaster with a height limit, then mabey it could be like what they did for Nemesis, how they had to blast chunks of rock away because of AT's height restriction.

Don't forget that SeaWorld and Discovery Cove are adding things this year. Aquatica sounds like a perfect name for that water slide/ animal attraction thing they are building. Just my opinion.

Busch has a tradition of naming coasters after an animal or something like an animal (real or mythological). So I would guess, IF the new ride is a coaster that this name isn't for that.

Does the park have height limits that they would need special approvel for.

J.

As far as I know, the biggest challenge the park faces is King's Mill. The King's Mill people always complain about attractions at BGW, even though there quite a good amount of forest between the two. Apollo's Chariot was originally planned to be taller, but the had to scale it down to get approval.

If they do build a dive machine in France, "Surrender To Your Fears" would be a great tagline for the ride

That is an awesome tagline. i like the way you think.

Well, since we're going there...

Does Busch Gardens have to post signs over the urinals telling me I live in "the greatest country in the world?" I mean, there's a time and place for everything, even jingoism, but can't I even take a pee sans propaganda?

And hey, if they named the new coaster "Weapon of Mass Destruction," they wouldn't even have to build it...

^ Normally I'm put off by those kinds of things, but in this case they made an interesting point about Miller being owned by a foreign company (South African Brewing). I didn't realize that, and I don't think most people do.

Busch does so much for our service people, I give them a pass on maybe going a little overboard on the "Buy American Beer" thing.

And hey, if they named the new coaster "Weapon of Mass Destruction," they wouldn't even have to build it...

...be carefull, the Government might have to send a whole horde of people there for no reason if you mention any War related criteria.

A good business opportunity!

^ Back in the Day it was a great coaster, I was sad to see it go. BUT they desperately need a new ride to replace it now, and i really can see a floorless coaster being built in it's place...themed to some German legend/story.

Coming in 2007, 'Hansel and Gretel...The RIDE!'

^Have to disagree with you there--I thought it was a migraine machine from day one. It left me with huge bruises on either shoulder the first time I rode it (during its inaugural year).

Drachen Fire was not as bad as people make it out to be. I mean, look at how many garbage coasters are out there right now that seem to get a free pass. Anaconda, Carolina Cyclone, Ninja, Vortex, and I could go on and on. They hurt just as bad if not worse, BGW just didn't want to deal with it anymore and worried about it's image to the general public. Plus no one rode it, so the operating costs outweighed it's usefulness. Hence, bye-bye. Busch still carries that scar and will unitl another coaster is built I believe.

^Unlike PKD, which exhibits no shame by clinging to Anaconda. The last time I rode Anaconda (October 2005), it didn't seem as rough as in years past--or perhaps I'd done a better job of bracing myself.

I do not mourn Drachen Fire. I just felt it was a beautiful-looking, but poorly designed coaster. But it did have a few fans.

^ Drachen Fire was a gorgeous roller coaster. Of course, I'm partial, I worked on it. I do miss it very much, but it had to go. Too many complaints.

Anyway, like I had said I do think Busch wants to build a new coaster to erase the memories of Drachen Fire and get people looking forward again. Granted Alpengeist and Apollos Chariot were built after DF, but no coaster has been built since it was removed. BGW always tries to stay ahead of the competition so I think a dive machine makes the most sense. That is if it is a coaster at all, perhaps a Journey to Atlantis type ride to replace Le Scoot or a Huss thrill ride. No matter what, it sure will continue the buzz for the park.

^^ That was simply a suggestion by myself based on nothing substantial. There have always been tons of rumors about what the park was doing, but I think most of that comes as a response to the secretive nature of the park. They don't give away too many hints but if you work there or live around it, there always seems to be a little rumor floating. I suppose most parks are probably like that, my experinence is with BGW though. Anyway, what I am saying is that when I worked there in '97 that the New France/ Aquitaine section of the park needed something new. They never really got around to it though. The biggest rumor of course, was that New France would become Switzerland hence Alpengeist's location but it never happened. They decided to change Heatherdowns into Ireland instead. My suggestions are simply based on old rumors and a general knowledge of how Busch is.

(Sorry, long post to explain something simple)

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.jccegov.com/newsreleases/cur ... 22107.html

Whatever it is they're getting, it's going to be around 210' tall and as previously mentioned will be in the New France section. Definately time to add a new coaster at BGW, should be interesting to see what this ends up being.

I apologize if this is old news.

Structure Height Simulation - Busch Gardens, Williamsburg Expansion

Date: February 17, 2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: (757) 253-6685

Fax:

Email: planning@james-city.va.us

Notice is hereby given that a balloon test will be conducted on Friday February 24, 2006; to simulate the height of a 210-foot tall structure. This test is being done as part of Case No. SUP-02-06 and HW-01-06: Busch Gardens, Williamsburg Expansion. The balloon will be in the air from approximately 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The initial meeting place for the test will be at 9:30 a.m. in the parking lot for the old Fire Station #2 facility at 8421 Pocahontas Trail (please use the parking lot for the unused station house only). The balloon will be extended from the location of the future expansion inside Busch Gardens Theme Park, which can be further identified as Parcel No. (51-4) on the James City County Tax Map No. (1-9). In case of unfavorable weather conditions, a make-up balloon test will be held on Monday, February 27, 2006, from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Maps depicting the site of the balloon test are available from the James City County Planning Division, 101-A Mounts Bay Road, Williamsburg, VA 23187. Please call the James City County Planning Division at (757) 253-6685 for further information.

Edited by larrygator

I agree, this is very interesting. Especially since Sheikra is only 200' tall...

They already have an awesome hyper, and BGW doesn't seem like the type of park to put in a standard drop tower, especially with a taller one not too far away.

Yippie! Could it really be another Dive Machine?!

-Don

I agree, this is very interesting. Especially since Sheikra is only 200' tall...

Yippie! Could it really be another Dive Machine?!

-Don

It's possible. They put in Alpengeist shortly after Montu, so maybe they'll do the same with a dive machine. This time it would be two years apart instead of one.