Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby goatdan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 am

Quick mini-report (I did this in the other three... first visit for me in years, first for the three year old and wife...)

Overall, great day. My son just was tall enough to do Big Thunder which he was really excited for. It was fun taking him on it - it was my first roller coaster year and years ago. He loved it. He also loved Barnstormer. The New Fantasyland stuff is okay. Mermaid feels pretty short. The Seven Drawves coaster looks interesting. I'm too big to comfortably ride Space Mountain now. My son's favorite ride was Astro Orbiter. Monster's Inc Laugh Floor was surprisingly funny. Couldn't bring myself to do Stitch and see what has become of Alien Encounter. (Also, no time.)

Moment of the day was near the end of the night when everyone in our group was going on Pirates and my son said he didn't want too. The cast members were telling him it wasn't scary, and he said he wasn't scared, he just wanted to go on Splash Mountain instead. He was serious, but was too tired to go on Splash Mountain at the end of the night.

This is still an outstanding park. We got there the moment it opened (early enough to see the little show), and stayed until after closing - more then 15 total hours - and still didn't do Philharmagic (DARN, the one big regret for me of the trip! 3 year old would have loved it!), Haunted Mansion, Tom Sawyer's Island, Hall of Presidents, Mad Hatter's Teacups, Stitch, and probably a few things I'm forgetting... and it was definitely not a very busy day!

Finally, we waited for the parade. Rain caused them to cancel the regular parade, but they had some sort of rainy day parade that was totally unexpected and I thought just as much if not more fun than the regular parade would have been. Kudos to Disney for coming up with that idea!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby goatdan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Almost forgot - One of the highlights of the trip for me was on a day we weren't going to a park, we got on the bus early to go to where our dinner reservations were via the Magic Kingdom, and on the way there our driver got a call that there was an accident and he would have to take an alternate route. The alternate route was literally straight through the prep area for the Dwarf coaster, which was really interesting to see. Lots of areas where they were prepping theming, a bunch of shipping boxes, and the Vekoma logo was on some stuff too.

It was particularly interesting to see all of the theming being built, as while I have seen a decent number of coasters get constructed, it was my first time seeing theming actively produced. I was surprised to find it was on site.

I didn't snap any pictures, sorry. Decided to take it in instead of try to get blurry pictures.

Immediately following that, we got on a monorail only for it to breakdown. I was nearly as fascinated watching them fix that as I was with the backstage stuff.

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:08 pm

that is very cool that you got to see that
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/06/a-magical-delivery-project-team-members-receive-key-piece-of-a-new-disney-parks-attraction/

Our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering just shared a photo of a very special delivery they received here the Walt Disney World Resort earlier this week. We’re told it’s a key piece of an attraction that’s coming to New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park.

Any idea as to what it might be? Submit your guesses in the “Comments” section below. Be sure to check back soon to see if your guess was correct!

If you responded with a “Seven Dwarfs Mine Train” answer, you are correct! The very first mine train car was delivered at Walt Disney World this week. The car, which can be seen above, will now be taken to a backstage area where it will receive a themed paint job.
wsd985766LARGE.jpg
wsd285766LARGE.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Hmm, kind of hard to see much of the vehicle since they are all standing in front of it. ;)

From what you can see though, themeing on the trains looks awesome!

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:22 am

Just read an interesting article over at Theme Park University regarding online forums and the Point of Maximum Anticipation. http://themeparkuniversity.com/editorial/our-online-role-as-magic-makers/
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 pm

The Mine Train Coaster will be awesome, as per Disney usual.

:mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:11 am

No one else does "family coasters" asa well as Disney. I like the look of the mine cars (the lantern is a nice touch).

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby arby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 am

I wish it wouldn't take them so long to build one. We've delayed our next trip to WDW twice now.

I guess you can't rush perfection. Their coasters are done well.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 am

Looks cool.

Hopefully we'll get to FL next year.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!