Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby Naina21 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am

http://www.wdrb.com/story/22694922/kentucky-kingdom-confirms-it-has-secured-financing

Kentucky Kingdom confirms it has secured financing
Posted: Jun 26, 2013 2:38 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 26, 2013 2:50 PM EDT

LOUISVILLE, KY. (WDRB) -- Ed Hart and his business partners say they've secured the private funding needed to reopen Kentucky Kingdom.

It will spend $43.5 million to get the park up and running. Part of that will include refurbishing rides and buildings that have deteriorated since the park closed in 2009.

The goal is to reopen it in May of next year. The group will talk about those plans on Thursday after the monthly meeting of the Kentucky State Fair Board, which is considering the plan.

"Kentucky Kingdom has been closed for four long years," Hart said in a news release. "My partners and I are proud to announce our plans to spend $43.5 million to return the park to its former position as Kentucky's number one paid tourist attraction."

Of the $43.5 million, $36 million will be spent in the first year, and $7.5 million in the second and third years as the park "ramps up to its full potential."

Kentucky Kingdom is expected to open in May of next year.

Copyright 2013 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Cue up the plan to ask for more money from the fair board because of the extra financing... :lol:

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DanM64 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I wonder exactly what a refurbished T2 would ride like? On second thought, I don't want to know! =)

Seriously though, great news for the Louisville area! I really hope it does end up opening again.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:43 pm

DanM64 wrote:I wonder exactly what a refurbished T2 would ride like?

Based on my experience with Ednor L'Attaque at La Ronde (formerly Serial Thriller at Six Flags Astroworld, also a refurbished SLC), I'd say not great.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby mudvayneimn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:44 pm

They really just need to put that ride out of it's misery. But hey, great news!
There are only two knowns in life...you were born. and you are going to die. I say F*uck that, lets ride a coaster! :lmao:

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:40 am

Someone posted this on the park's Facebook Page: Linky to FB Page
Just a update...

I was on my way home from work on Taylor Blvd and passed three trucks with cranes on them. The truck in the middle had a huge brand new sign that said "Kentucky Kingdom - Hurricane Bay Waterpark"

Others mentioned people hammering away on Thunder Run.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 am

Good for them. I never thought they would do it. I wonder if the lenders gave them the 25 million or they had to invest more of there own money. Either way it is good news.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sethdawg17 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 am

www.kentuckykingdom.com/kentucky-kingdom-launches-biggest-expansion-in-the-25-year-history-of-the-park/

Screen Shot 2013-06-27 at 4.24.34 PM.jpg

Ed Hart, President of Kentucky Kingdom, LLLP, along with his partners Ed Glasscock, Bruce Lunsford, and the Al J. Schneider Company, today announced the biggest expansion in Kentucky Kingdom’s 25-year history. The announcement was made just an hour after representatives of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Metro Louisville, the Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau, the Kentucky State Fair Board, and The Bank of Kentucky signed the agreements required for the official reopening of Kentucky Kingdom.

Standing just inside the front entrance to the theme park, Mr. Hart remarked, “The highlights of the new Kentucky Kingdom will be the addition of the first new rollercoaster in 17 years and a large expansion of the Hurricane Bay water park. We are doubling the size of the water park, adding three new waterslide complexes, a 12-000-square-foot wave lagoon, and an adventure river, which is six times faster than the existing lazy river. All in all, we will have one of the largest water parks in the region.”

“We will also reopen such signature rides as the Thunder Run wooden coaster, the Mile High Falls giant spill ride, the 150-foot-tall Giant Wheel, the rapid river raft ride, and the Thrill Park Theatre, as well as all of the park’s remaining rides and attractions.”

Added Hart, “We’re not stopping there. In 2015, we will unveil a complete makeover of our suspended looping coaster, T2, and we are well on our way to converting the two intertwined wooden coasters known as Twisted Twins into a much superior ride, which will debut in 2016. We will continue to introduce new attractions each season. In fact, per our lease with the state, we have an obligation to invest as much as $2.5 million each year for as many as 70 years. That would equal an investment of more than $200 million, including our initial outlay of $43.5 million.”

Hart thanked the Governor, the Mayor, the Metro Council, Jim King, other state and local officials, and particularly Dr. Mark Lynn, Chairman of the Fair Board, for recognizing the importance of Kentucky Kingdom to the state and the local community.”

Mr. Lynn commented, “Ed Hart and his partners, all respected local businesspersons, are the right people at the right time to restore Kentucky Kingdom to its previous success. A full-scale renovation of the park’s more than 100 buildings and 40 rides is already underway.”

Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the new Kentucky Kingdom are attached. As for answers to any questions that might not be covered on that list, Hart said, “We’d like to tell you about everything we’re going to do over the next ten months, so we encourage you to follow our progress at http://www.kentuckykingdom.com, where frequent updates will be posted.”

8593_303702773098427_1512861677_n.jpg
"I've been waiting a long time to say this: 'It's a go!'"
- Ed Hart, President of Kentucky Kingdom.

http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/faq/

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FIND ANSWERS HERE FIRST
1. WHEN WILL THE PARK REOPEN?

Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay will reopen on Saturday, May 24, 2014

2. ARE YOU HIRING?

Have we got a job for you! Kentucky Kingdom will be the largest seasonal employer in the region and we will begin recruiting for seasonal positions as early as December, 2013. Please check our website (http://www.kentuckykingdom.com) for further information.

3. WHO’S ON FIRST?

The Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Company (KKRC) consists of a team of experienced theme park professionals who have successfully revitalized two previously failed theme parks: Magic Springs & Crystal Falls in Hot Springs, Arkansas and, before that, Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, Kentucky.

4. WHAT RIDES AND ATTRACTIONS DO YOU HAVE?

Where do you want to start? Wet or dry? We have something for everyone and every age! The entire 60-acre Kentucky Kingdom property is undergoing a complete facelift and the 2014 season will see the largest expansion in Kentucky Kingdom’s 25-year history.

Not only will we reopen Mt. Slide Hai and all of the park’s other water slides, the “Deluge” water coaster, the lazy river, the children’s activity pools, and our famous 750,000-gallon Big Kahuna wave pool, but we will more than double the size of the water park, adding a wave lagoon (an attraction the whole family will love!), three wet and wild water slide complexes, and an adventure river that speeds you along at six times the rate of the water park’s existing lazy river. And this is only what’s happening in the water park!

We will reopen all of the park’s remaining rides, including of course the classic marquee attractions like Thunder Run, Mile High Falls, the Giant Wheel, and the Thrill Park Theatre, and on top of that … drumroll !… we are introducing the first new rollercoaster to be added to Kentucky Kingdom in 17 years.

We will continue to add new attractions each season. In 2015, we will unveil a complete makeover of our suspended looping coaster, T2, and we are well on our way to converting the two intertwined wooden coasters formerly known as Twisted Twins into a much superior ride, which will debut in 2016.

This is just a brief glimpse into all of the improvements that will be taking place at Kentucky Kingdom, so we invite you to follow our progress on our website, http://www.kentuckykingdom.com, where frequent updates will be posted.

5. HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO GET INTO THE PARK?

We intend to make Kentucky Kingdom the region’s top destination for affordable family fun. The park will be priced more reasonably than the other theme parks in the region, especially when it comes to season passes.

6. WILL YOU OFFER SEASON PASSES?

We’re printing them as we speak! Season passes to Kentucky Kingdom have always been a great value, but now, with all the new attractions we’re adding, the value only gets better. Season passes make great gifts for the holidays and they will be available in plenty of time for Santa.

7. WHAT ABOUT GROUP OUTINGS?

We have special discount pricing for groups of varying sizes (the bigger the group, the bigger the discount). In addition, we offer a wide variety of catered picnics, one of which is sure to fit your group’s budget.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:42 pm.

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:44 am

It sounds like the park really won't be worth traveling to visit until 2016.

I wonder if maybe we could see Twisted Twins get the Iron Horse treatment?

I have no clue what the will be doing to T2.

Anyways, congrats to them. This park should be awesome by 2016. :b
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ratdogg68 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 am

Glad to see it finally come forth, now to see where it goes. I most likely will buy a Season Pass to visit the Waterpark several times a summer, I only live 10 miles away.
Let the Riding begin

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!