TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Thanks to David, TPR, and SFMM for letting MR. Bebe partake in the Media Day festivities!!!! It was pretty awesome and interesting.

The ride is pretty damn cool! It certainly won't make any top 10 lists, but it's a solid addition to the SFMM lineup. It's the ONLY launch coaster except for the O.G. (Superman) which is a vastly different ride. YOLO is smooth, quiet, and surprising. It provides some thrills in a manner that is very UN-Magic-Mountain-like and very unique. The restraints are somewhat uncomfortable on the shins, but otherwise it's a very comfortable ride.

True, it doesn't offer A LOT of elements and certainly has enough energy that it could have been extended, but don't we say that about pretty much EVERY new coaster? I'd rank it behind X2 and Tatsu for sure (Personally), but it probably slides in somewhere Top 5 in the park on MOST anybody's list.

The Loaded Chili Dog was SOLID, and I'm a big chili dog connoisseur! Sorry, there wasn't enough room left in the belly to try the wings.

The three new YOLOcharacter were very cool and I think they'll prove popular. The YOLOgirl was dancing to the music in her stilt outfit, which was impressive!

Also.... David was wrong! Mr. Bebe was unhappy because (B) he is out of focus.

You can look for a very un-official report from Mr. Bebe on the Bebe's Adventures in the coming days.

Thanks again to TPR, SFMM, and David for a very YOLOexperience.

-Mr. Bebe

YOLOcharacters.jpg.b810a396731fc530e803a173669edea1.jpg

YOLO!!!!!

Great YOLO coverage! Can someone tell me what kind of launch system does it has? I don't recall but it must be nice to not have your ear drums burst every time a train goes by. The loop looks enormous.

LSM

Premier uses LIM launches, which don't make much sound. Intamin LSM launches are a different story.

Great YOLO coverage! Can someone tell me what kind of launch system does it has? I don't recall but it must be nice to not have your ear drums burst every time a train goes by. The loop looks enormous.

LSM

Premier uses LIM launches, which don't make much sound. Intamin LSM launches are a different story.

Premier uses LSMs as well as Intamin. LIMs are the older system.

I checked the TPR web store, and maybe I missed it, but is there anywhere I can buy that T-Shirt?

LIMs are the ones that screech. Just look at the Intamin Impulse coasters, LSMs have slightly different principles and require more precise control and it seems that companies have finally master them. Superman has LSM motors too and from I understand it took them a long time to get all the bugs worked out and it functioning correctly.

I believe LSMs can function as eddy current brakes if no current is applied to them. There's rare earth magnets on the trains and when there is no power through the LSM fins they are just conductive pieces of metal, meaning when that magnetic field interacts with the fins it should slow the trains down.

I believe LSMs can function as eddy current brakes if no current is applied to them. There's rare earth magnets on the trains and when there is no power through the LSM fins they are just conductive pieces of metal, meaning when that magnetic field interacts with the fins it should slow the trains down.

That makes sense. I have a question though, on Superman, it has LSMs, when the ride shuts down with the car on the way back to the station, why then does it have to hit the emergency brakes at the end with speed.. shouldn't the LSMs slow it down to a crawl or is that what is actually happening, it slows to a crawl then just bumps into the e brakes? I have never witnessed this but have read about it on here if I remember right.

Another question. On Maverick's lift, if there is a shut down while the train is going up it doesn't it gently roll back down and are those LIMs or LSMs?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand this better.

I went on Full Throttle this evening and I loved it! It exceeded all of my expectations. I wouldn't put it in my list of top ten coasters I've ever ridden, but it would definitely fit in with my personal top ten coasters in SoCal. The airtime on that ride for me was CRAZY. I was not expecting that major ejector airtime going down the drop! What I thought for me was going to be a lame, gimmicky one-trick pony turned out to be a ride that has me debating on whether I should rate this higher than Xcellerator or not (Leaning towards the latter). Overall, not DA BEZT COASTER EVA!!!, but still a really good ride. Can't wait for the ERT on this baby during WCB!

By the way, I rode this at night. I recall some of you were wondering what happens in the tunnel. Nothing other than a standard strobe light. No fog, special lighting, fire, or anything. I guess they had the skateboarding dinosaur turned off.

That makes sense. I have a question though, on Superman, it has LSMs, when the ride shuts down with the car on the way back to the station, why then does it have to hit the emergency brakes at the end with speed.. shouldn't the LSMs slow it down to a crawl or is that what is actually happening, it slows to a crawl then just bumps into the e brakes? I have never witnessed this but have read about it on here if I remember right.

Another question. On Maverick's lift, if there is a shut down while the train is going up it doesn't it gently roll back down and are those LIMs or LSMs?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand this better.

I think I figured it out.

If the train has (copper) fins they are LIMs.

If the train has permanent magnets they are LSMs.

Both incredible technologies and I can't wait to get down there in a few months to ride this, the hang time in the loop sounds sweet!

I'll try to refrain from judging too much (granted, I am definitely judging in this post hah) until I ride it, but...I still think this looks like a cheap "plop it in the park ala RCT" coaster. All the dirt and the gross, uncovered station are just strange (it's supposedly all temporary, right?)...and the whole ride experience seems just that: strange.

I'm not too excited about a ride whose "ejector brakes" are one of its selling points?

Based on the POV, I miss Log Jammer. Wish SFMM could've gotten something like S:UF at SFDK.

These are all temporary. Priority number one would be to get the ride open. More additions will probably come when the park starts closing weekdays.

Wow, that little camera helicopter is cool! Is that how they got the Lex Luthor footage too? That's some of my favorite B-roll, I think.

So the station's getting covered soon - is the queue staying how it is? That's what's making this look like it was plopped down without care to me, that picture from the queue.

Full Throttle looks really fun! I find it kinda cool that SFMM now has the first modern vertical loop and the world's tallest vertical loop just a few hundred feet from each other. It's the park of milestone loops!

By the way, Six Flags. You now have a looping coaster with lap bars only in your park. It can be done (hint hint).

FYI - Please do not post videos from other channels, especially for rides we already have videos for. It may get you banned. Certain channels, especially those who are known for taken illegal POV footage without obtaining parks permission, are not allowed on TPR.

^ I'm pretty sure they're the same trains. I'm 6 feet and fit fine, but the harness does hurt my shins. You dont notice it when riding, but when sitting in the brakes waiting to get back into the station you'll wish you could loosen the shin restraint. It'd be nice if they resolved that issue, as they're great trains otherwise IMO.

Edited by ILoveRides