The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: clippers6, GnastyGnoric7, smartestcoasterkidever! and 23 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Wes » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Yay they painted the Superman S.

"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Postby ILoveRides » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Yesterday was the media day for Full "YOLOCoaster" Throttle at Six Flags Magic Mountain and TPR was there with Corey (AKA Mr. Bebe) and David. Check out our full report below:

Also, check out our full POV, rider cam video, and B-roll footage of the ride courtesy of Six Flags:
001.JPG
We're at Six Flags Magic Mountain for YOLOcoaster media day!
002.JPG
We checked in and headed into the park.
003.JPG
There were stages set up in the new plaza area in front of the coaster. This area was mostly dirt about a week ago, so it's impressive how much got done in a week!
004.JPG
The YOLOcoaster Dancers came on stage to entertain the crowd.
005.JPG
These dancers weren't just for the media day - they will perform at SFMM daily.
006.JPG
We were told the area comes to life at night when lighting effects enhance the dancing.
007.JPG
There were also some characters on stilts walking around.
008.JPG
YOLO!!!
009.JPG
They had free freestyle Coke! You can't go wrong with free Coke, especially since it's not Pepsi, and especially since it was 90+ degrees outside!
010.JPG
An MC came on stage and selected four volunteers to play a game.
011.JPG
Bowls, brownies, and whipped cream were then brought out.
012.JPG
The game was to see who could eat a whipped cream smothered brownie out of a bowl the fastest using only their face.
013.JPG
It ended up being a tie.
014.JPG
I'm pretty sure the only things they won for competing were the free brownie and the messy face. YOLO!!!
015.JPG
When Gangam Style came on, Mr. Bebe couldn't help but start dancing.
016.JPG
Some of the signage in the plaza area.
017.JPG
More signage.
018.JPG
Among the new merchandise were these YOLOcoaster helmets.
019.JPG
Park president Bonnie Rabjohn came on stage and welcomed the crowd.
020.JPG
She also introduced Six Flags CEO James Reid-Anderson who was in the crowd.
021.JPG
And of course, she introduced YOLOcoaster and the new plaza area! She started a countdown...
022.JPG
5, 4, 3, 2, 1
023.JPG
And the coaster was launched to a burst of fireworks and confetti!
024.JPG
YOLOcoaster is now called "Full Contfetti"
025.JPG
When the coaster launched over the tophat there was another burst of fireworks and confetti!
026.JPG
Look at all that confetti!
027.JPG
Mr. Bebe frolicked in the confetti.
028.JPG
There are some misters built into the ground in the plaza. Mr. Bebe showed off his Marilyn Monroe pose, working hard to keep his dress down.
029.JPG
But we all know that Mr. Bebe is a manly man, so he stopped being Marilyn Monroe in favor of a 100% official manly pose!
030.JPG
The crowd gathered outside the ride waiting for it to open.
031.JPG
Once the word came from the state that the ride was approved for guests, the crowd was allowed in to ride.
032.JPG
Here's a photo from the line. There are no switchbacks - just a long walkway that leads out to the plaza. Thankfully there is some shade overhead.
033.JPG
Here's the station. They weren't able to get it covered in time for the media event, but we hear that it will be getting covered soon.
034.JPG
Zoom! Here's the view from the line of one of the first trains with riders launching. Being this close, one of the first things you notice is how quiet this coaster is. It's one of the most quiet coasters I've ever heard. It's nice not having your eardrums blown out while waiting in line.
035.JPG
A look at the trains.
036.JPG
And here's the view from the exit ramp looking towards the massive loop.
036_2.JPG
The loop in all its glory. All 160 feet of it.
037.JPG
On the opposite side of the plaza as the coaster is this building with 2 restaurants - High Octane Wings and Loaded Dogs - and a small shop.
038.JPG
They were letting everyone try out the food. Here's Mr. Bebe's chili dog. He had already been snacking away at the fries by the time I got this pic, so you get even more than what's pictured.
039.JPG
Mr. Bebe's favorite ride at SFMM is Full Chilidog.
040.JPG
Now lets go behind the scenes of the commercial/B-roll shoot for the ride.
041.JPG
Have you ever wondered how they get amazing aerial footage of rides?
042.JPG
This is how! We met the guy from Dronefly.com who brought this helicopter camera rig and he told us all about it. It's really neat! I think every photographer who saw it wanted one!
043.JPG
Here it is capturing the footage. This footage will be used for an upcoming commercial, and can also be seen in our Youtube video posted at the top of this report!
049.JPG
Speaking of capturing footage, this camera will capture your smiling face after exiting the YOLOop. Ride photos can be purchased at the exit of the ride.
050.JPG
And speaking of smiling faces, everyone seemed to love the ride.
051.JPG
Look at all those happy people!
052.JPG
For me, the loop is the star of this coaster.
053.JPG
It feels unlike any other loop I've ever experienced. The train moves slowly enough through the loop that you just hang there being held in by only a lap bar. It's a unique, scary, and fun feeling!
054.JPG
While you don't get too much airtime on the tophat, when you hit the brakes on the way down you're thrown forward and outward. It catches you off guard and is a great end to the ride. Most people were criticizing the brake placement of this ride as it was being built, but believe it or not, the brakes add to the experience.
055.JPG
Lets head up the mountain and check out how things look up by Superman. This shot is looking down into the valley that YOLOcoaster occupies.
056.JPG
The coaster goes right overhead. You can see how close people are in the bottom right hand corner of this picture.
057.JPG
After crossing over the walkway, the coaster makes a dive loop into the old monorail tunnel.
058.JPG
Here's the dive into the tunnel.
059.JPG
The dive loop from another angle.
060.JPG
This is the view standing by the dive loop looking towards Superman.
061.JPG
And this is the view from Superman looking back towards Tatsu. Also, this is what the underside of a Yolotrain looks like. Very YOLO!
062.JPG
Pop quiz time: Is Mr. Bebe sad becasue A - He's in jail. B - He's out of focus. Or C - because he waited 45 minutes in the sun for a YOLOcoaster train to go by, and one hasn't come yet. I'll give you a hint, it isn't A or B.
063.JPG
Mr. Bebe is very happy to learn that a train is finally on its way. (Operations were slow in the middle of the day because of the commercial shoot. They had to move cameras, adjust things, etc. in between launches. Also, the coaster was being a little finicky - they were still working the kinks out. Normally things should run much faster!)
064.JPG
Over the walkway!
065.JPG
Into the tunnel!
066.JPG
Over the tophat!
067.JPG
Pop quiz #2: What's the best way to get down the mountain? A - walk. B - take the Orient Express. C - roll. These kids clearly thought the answer was C, but they were wrong, the answer is B.
068.JPG
Here's a shot from the side of the dive loop as a train dives into the tunnel.
069.JPG
This picture shows how high the train goes on the reverse launch. This photo was taken at its maximum height. This is one of the reasons why most people seemed to prefer the back seat on this coaster - in the back seat you go much farther up the loop on the reverse launch.
070.JPG
One more picture of the dive loop into the tunnel.
071.JPG
Back down the mountain, here's the view from behind the station, looking towards the loop.
072.JPG
The train launches right out of the station.
073.JPG
Loop!
074.JPG
Tophat!
075.JPG
Happiness!
076.jpg
Overall YOLOcoaster exceeded our expectations, and is a solid ride with some unique experiences - extreme loop hangtime, ejector brakes - that you won't find on many other coasters. Thanks Six Flags for throwing an awesome media day and inviting TPR to attend, and thanks to you for checking out our report! Now get to SFMM and ride YOLOcoaster because YOLO!!!
Last edited by ILoveRides on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:26 pm.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby adamd » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:10 pm

bottom_feeder_13 wrote:Viper isn't going anywhere, they have tons of spare parts from Shockwave and GASM to keep it going and it may rarely have a line but that's only because it can really push a ton of people through even with sub-par ops.

They could put a ride in its place that can eat up just as many people. If the ride isn't popular (or if they could replace it with something that would be more popular) I don't think having spare parts would stop them from replacing it. I'm not in anyway saying Viper is going, but its just an idea and as I said next 5 years not right away.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:17 pm

YOLOcoaster sounds great. I always find it funny how some rides get tons of criticism while they're being built, then end up exceeding all expectations. I always expected the ride to be one of the better coasters at the park, but I'm hearing nothing but positive reviews of the coaster and it sounds like it could be one of the best rides Premier has built to date. I can't wait to ride it (going on Tuesday...yay).
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:37 pm

The best coverage of any new coaster! And best T-Shirt. Beats our Lazer Snake Horse On Fire! :lol:
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby TBpony414 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Great YOLO coverage! Can someone tell me what kind of launch system does it has? I don't recall but it must be nice to not have your ear drums burst every time a train goes by. The loop looks enormous.

Postby Wes » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:11 pm

TBpony414 wrote:Great YOLO coverage! Can someone tell me what kind of launch system does it has? I don't recall but it must be nice to not have your ear drums burst every time a train goes by. The loop looks enormous.

LSM

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KevRus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:28 pm

I'll try to refrain from judging too much (granted, I am definitely judging in this post hah) until I ride it, but...I still think this looks like a cheap "plop it in the park ala RCT" coaster. All the dirt and the gross, uncovered station are just strange (it's supposedly all temporary, right?)...and the whole ride experience seems just that: strange.

I'm not too excited about a ride whose "ejector brakes" are one of its selling points?

Based on the POV, I miss Log Jammer. Wish SFMM could've gotten something like S:UF at SFDK.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby UberBeavis » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:54 pm

One less person in line would be great. :D

BEST SHOW ON TV PERIOD

Postby XLRBR » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Great coverage indeed! Glad to hear that it's not just some gimmicky, one-trick pony; sounds more like a ridable, even enjoyable one-trick pony. ;-)
Although I do miss the log ride too, I can't wait to get back to SFMM to ride it myself! (One of these days...)
Everyone has a photographic memory.
Some just don't have film.

PreviousNext