Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

P. 126 - Trespasser dies at park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counselor Neil

Re: Mt Olympus announces: HADES 360

Postby televisedconfession » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 am

^Oh, please not this again.
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Aceattack52 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:22 am

^^ Good question, and no, I don't think there is a fully wooden looping wooden coaster. I'm not sure if it's possible to use just wood for the kind of support a track that inverts calls for. I suppose if the inverting element was under another part of the ride where it could use its own supports as well as the supports for that other part of the ride, it could work. There are a lot of variables that come into play with wood that we don't see with steel.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Location: Front seat of Leviathan, or if WFS (World's Finest Shows) is in town, then there.

Postby ultradude306 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:29 am

^ So, if it's not all wood (@ least in the inversion), what is steel?...the supports or the track?
Check Out My YouTube Channel!

Channel: ultradude306
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/ultradude306?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2Fultradude306
Funny vids, coasters, & more!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby LoneRider92 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 am

To avoid yet another discussion on Hi Britts (thanks Chuck ;) ), how about my review of Hades?

Pictures and a full review can be seen here, but basically the new and improved Hades is hands-down the best ride I've ever ridden. I'm not sure where people are getting the vibe that the ride is just as rough as before; as Hades' probably biggest fan, the difference between the past few years and this year is nothing short of astounding. The retracked sections, including the notorious curve past the station, are completely amazing and the new corkscrew and curve is bizarre and incredible.

In short, get out here and ride this ride (just be absolutely sure to ride in the front seat for the full experience).

BTW, the footage looks perfect Scotty! :)
I smell like fresh cut spring flowers spewn across a babbling brook with a hint of lemon. |:D

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby rctexas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:38 pm

I was at the park this past Sunday afternoon. After riding Hades in its first year of operation, and numerous times thereafter, I felt that the ride was improved from its final few years of operation before being converted into Hades 360. Here's my thoughts after getting in 8 rides (6 back, 2 front)

The Good:
The Timberliners were extremely comfortable. For a smaller rider like myself, they seemed to feel both safe and thrilling at the same time. The 360 was an awesome inversion as well. I loved the headchopper effect created by the catwalk, and the centerlining on the inversion was excellent!

The Bad:
The beginning of the ride was in need of retracking. The airtime hills were so taken so quickly that they were actually pretty painful. Aside from that area, the bottom of the first drop and some track prior to the final helix were pretty painful as well.

Overall:
The 360 degrees is a definite improvement from what Hades became in the last few years. It is running nowhere near as well as it did when the ride first opened, but wasn't bad. The new track sections still vibrated quite a bit as well. The painful moments unfortunately outweighed the great moments, although I hope that Mt. Olympus can continue to retrack sections of their rides. I personally thought they did a great job on retracking Cyclops (with the exception of the ending), and if they can continue to do so, they would have at least one top 10 ride. As of now, the rides were too rough to enjoy the truly exceptional moments.

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:50 pm

It sounds like Hades 360 did exactly what it was supposed to do.

It was a gimmick to get people through the gates and it worked. Mount Olympus didn't retrack the entire ride, they just added a corkscrew and convinced people to come to the park to ride it.

Sounds like it worked out fine for them ;)
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby TyRush » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:20 am

Woodie Warrior wrote:It sounds like Hades 360 did exactly what it was supposed to do.

It was a gimmick to get people through the gates and it worked. Mount Olympus didn't retrack the entire ride, they just added a corkscrew and convinced people to come to the park to ride it.

Sounds like it worked out fine for them ;)

I feel the same way! if they really cared they would have re-tracked the entire thing and added a 2nd train
If Intamin made a donkey, it wouldn't be tame.....well for a year

Visit our Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group page! www.psuthemeparkengineering.com/

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:33 pm

http://www.wiscnews.com/wisconsindellsevents/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_ca545120-d2e0-11e2-b20a-0019bb2963f4.html

Workers demolished the old pool at the former Pine Dell Motel Monday, at the request of Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park’s owner, who has achieved yet another expansion of his business along the Wisconsin Dells Parkway by having purchased the motel in April.

Nick Laskaris, owner of Mt. Olympus, noticed his advanced bookings were on an uptick, so he bought the former Pine Dell Motel that was adjacent to other properties he had purchased. The Pine Dell Motel, like other properties he’s taken over recently, will be used as additional sleeping quarters for his guests.

“It was a great match for us....” Laskaris said in an interview Monday in his office at Hotel Rome, the central overnight accommodation where guests staying at his other motels register. He added that it was ideal because he has reunited the two nearby properties, the Pine Dell Motel and one formerly known as Four Seasons Hotel.

Laskaris said his goal is to continue to clean up the Strip and make it appear new.

Pine Dell Motel rooms will receive new fixtures, toilets, bathtubs and beds, according to Laskaris. The exterior will be painted blue and white, the colors of Greece, to match the rest of his overnight lodging accommodations. “That way there will be no doubt when a visitor comes to the Dells that they are entering into a Mt. Olympus Resort,” Laskaris said.

The closing on the property was April 30, which Laskaris said has let him reach the goal of having slightly more than 1,000 hotel units. He had to take down the old Pine Dell Motel pool out of concerns for safety and also to encourage the use of the other attractions at his park, Laskaris said. Play at the water and theme park is included in the hotel charge on the check-in and check-out days, Laskaris said.

He said his park is unique because it offers both wet and dry rides with the same admission. His park spans 180 acres and includes a new wooden roller coaster that can take riders upside down.

Even though Laskaris expects attendance at his park to be up because of the amount of advanced bookings, having extra motel space for visitors that come especially because the new Hades 360 roller coaster opened can’t hurt. “I know the lines have been very long already,” Laskaris said about the people waiting to ride it.

Pine Dell Motel will be ready for occupation by the Fourth of July weekend and will be renamed Mt. Olympus Village. The names of the other properties he owns are Hotel Rome and Mt. Olympus Camp Resort, which has accommodations in tree houses and tent sites.

The park also added 50 new cabins for employee housing, according to Laskaris.

The park now employs more than 800 full- and part-time employees, Laskaris said.

Laskaris confirmed that the last property he bought was the Copa Cabana Resort Hotel & Suites. He took it over in 2011.

Laskaris said in an interview then that he had different names for all of the lodgings he has taken over, like Zeus’ Village and Mykonos Village, Mykonos Resort, Santorini Village and Poseidon’s Village. But he has decided to call them all by the same name, Mt. Olympus Village.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:35 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:47 am

How is Hades 360 holding up?
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby IronWolfman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 am

Why are you guys complaining about Hades being painful? It wasn't even that rough in late 2011 in the back seat, let alone painful. :roll: If you really want a painful woodie, go ride back seat on the other great god named ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!