TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

This is great! The one thing I thought DtD was lacking is a true identity, rather than a nice collection of shops/restaurants spread out across the lake...now this concept ties the whole place together in one unified theme and hopefully brings life back into the deader parts (old Pleasure Island) of the place!

Ugh, what a disappointment that I read this thread for the first time and it's devolved into a discussion about the Adventure's Club. Whether you liked the club or not (and I'm in the camp of not - it just wasn't my thing at all)....

THE ADVENTURER'S CLUB IS DEAD AND GONE!!! GET OVER IT!!! MOVE ON TO SOMETHING ELSE!!! LIKE ROCKY HORROR OR GOLDEN CORRAL OR SOMETHING!!!!

Oh, and a side note...

Maybe I'm the only one who noticed this but.... I think the Adventurer's Club fans ruined the experience. I went twice (both were during final year) and nearly every punchline was ruined by fans eager to chime in the line themselves and laugh. I tried it a second time and the same thing!

This is EXACTLY the reason why I never liked it. It was like the one place in Walt Disney World that felt like "Disneyland fanboys" found and bombarded the place. I could just never get into it because of them.

Edited by robbalvey

^ You should see some of the Disneyland fan forums, people blasting Princess Fantasy Faire because it "took away" swing dancing from the parks. Yeah, they revived an entire dead area of the park and it looks really nice....but 20 people swing danced every weekend and now DISNEY IS RUINING THEIR LIVESSSSSSS.

Adventurer's Club is deader than Heath Ledger...

^ The past is easy to look at through rose-colored glasses. People will fight tooth and nail against change good or bad. Just the way of the world...and unfortunately the internet gives them a voice.

Exactly. I never realized how many crazy people there were in the world until I got on the Internet.

DTD needed a good freshening up, and I like what Disney has planned.

Ugh, what a disappointment that I read this thread for the first time and it's devolved into a discussion about the Adventure's Club. Whether you liked the club or not (and I'm in the camp of not - it just wasn't my thing at all)....

THE ADVENTURER'S CLUB IS DEAD AND GONE!!! GET OVER IT!!! MOVE ON TO SOMETHING ELSE!!! LIKE ROCKY HORROR OR GOLDEN CORRAL OR SOMETHING!!!!

Oh, and a side note...

Maybe I'm the only one who noticed this but.... I think the Adventurer's Club fans ruined the experience. I went twice (both were during final year) and nearly every punchline was ruined by fans eager to chime in the line themselves and laugh. I tried it a second time and the same thing!

This is EXACTLY the reason why I never liked it. It was like the one place in Walt Disney World that felt like "Disneyland fanboys" found and bombarded the place. I could just never get into it because of them.

Bring back Horizons.

^BAHAHAHA!

Im happy to also see the the pleasure island area getting some attention again! Does anyone remember the announcement about a Hyperion Wharf thing for that area in 2010? What ever happened to that?

Disney Parks Blog

First Look: Waterfront District ‘Hyperion Wharf’ Among Plans for Downtown Disney

posted on November 18th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

hwd001223LARGE.jpg.649bee7646ac8c324ceffad7beaa0623.jpg

How about that? New dining, shopping and entertainment experiences are in the works for Downtown Disney and today we’re sharing a first look at what to expect in the future for the 120-acre complex. Look closely and you’ll see that Pleasure Island will evolve into a vibrant waterfront district called “Hyperion Wharf.”

hwd002556LARGE.jpg.f79a35aa1cc6bd9dd15e44e388de5b47.jpg

The district will come to life with a nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier. By day, stylish boutiques and innovative restaurants will draw you in and by night, thousands of lights will transform the area into an electric wonderland.

Taking its name from Hyperion, the Greek god of light, as well as the street on which Walt Disney built his first major animation studio, the wharf district will also feature a relaxing lakeside park and enhanced pedestrian walkways. And its diverse eateries will expand dining availability at Downtown Disney by more than 25 percent.

hwd003445LARGE.jpg.bd9feab7007cc303db3f76350e9074c5.jpg

Along with the new wharf district, other projects are underway at Downtown Disney, including:

An extensive renovation of Lego Imagination Center, which will increase its overall footprint by nearly 3,500 square-feet and add new Lego exterior models featuring scenes from classic Disney movies.

Enhancements at AMC Theatres that will take the movie-going experience at Downtown Disney to the next level with new digital technology, a Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater; and…

Numerous new or renovated retail shops and merchandise vignettes, as well as additional atmosphere entertainment, throughout Downtown Disney.

Construction on the district begins immediately and it’s scheduled to be completed in 2013.

Pretty exciting, huh? Let us know what are you most looking forward to.

This concept doesn't look like it has anything to do with Disney Springs, unless its in there somewhere and just wasn't the focus of the announcement.

^^Tom Staggs was quoted as saying that they took a step back to look at the plans for Hyperion Wharf and realized they could do better. They took the additional time to expand about the ideas presented in that concept and eventually got to developing Disney Springs with the intention of tying all "four zones" into one specific story and theme.

^^Tom Staggs was quoted as saying that they took a step back to look at the plans for Hyperion Wharf and realized they could do better. They took the additional time to expand about the ideas presented in that concept and eventually got to developing Disney Springs with the intention of tying all "four zones" into one specific story and theme.

Wait a minute! You mean they announced something, looked at the feedback, and decided to change/fix/add things?! That's obviously a mis-statement because according to the people that are anti-FP+ what is announced is always the law and never get's changed, and in the end it will destroy Disney!

Edited by jray21

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/news-updates/

Following brisk sales of homesites, Golden Oak at Walt Disney World Resort announced plans for its newest neighborhood, Marceline. Sale of the first 19 homesites will begin today.

As part of the Golden Oak community, Marceline residents will enjoy a lifestyle surrounded by the Walt Disney World Resort. This quiet, luxurious enclave is located in close proximity to Disney theme parks and recreation. Taking advantage of its natural setting, more than half of the Marceline homesites will offer water views and others will border on a nature preserve. Each homesite is approximately one-quarter acre in size and is within easy walking distance of Summerhouse, the private clubhouse for Golden Oak residents and their guests.

Marceline will showcase the same quality custom home building found throughout Golden Oak today, with residences drawing design and architectural inspiration from European and Caribbean influences. Buyers can select from three prestigious homebuilders to create custom homes ranging in size from approximately 3,800 to 4,500 square feet.

Golden Oak homes start at $1.6 million. Prices, inclusive of homesite, in the Marceline neighborhood will start at $1.7 million.

"We've been delighted by the positive response over the past 24 months," said Page Pierce, vice president of Disney Resort Real Estate Development. "Our first four Golden Oak neighborhoods are nearly sold out, so Marceline quite literally builds on that success."

Marceline is named after the Missouri town where Walt Disney grew up in the early part of the 20th century. Memories from those formative years profoundly influenced creative directions he took throughout his life.

Walt's animation legacy has roots in Marceline, where he first picked up a pencil and sketchpad to try his hand at drawing. The new Golden Oak neighborhood pays homage to that history with a planned sculpture park that will feature enchanting life-size sculptures of characters from Walt's animated masterpiece Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The sculptures are part of the exclusive Golden Oak "Disney Friends in Nature" sculpture series. Sophisticated interpretations of classic Disney animation will be found in parks and other common areas throughout the community.

"The sculpture series is just one example of subtle Disney touches artfully woven into the luxurious character of Golden Oak," Pierce said. "Our Disney Imagineers poured their talents into creating a community that's thoughtful in design, rich with details and home to a lifestyle like no other."

Marceline is just one of many new additions to Golden Oak. The recently opened Summerhouse, the private residential club facility, is the centerpiece of community activities and events. Reminiscent of a large Tuscan farmhouse, it offers delightful spaces for indoor and outdoor gatherings, a pool, fitness facilities with locker rooms, and a family game room. The Summerhouse restaurant and private lounge will debut later this year, offering dining in a casual, yet sophisticated environment.

Summerhouse is also home to Golden Oak Resident Services, the team that brings Disney's guest-service culture directly to residents. Resident Services can arrange personal, residential and resort requests. Services include assistance with travel and private transportation arrangements, tickets for Disney theme parks and special events, private VIP tours, golf tee-times, dinner reservations, and planning parties. It's like having a Fairy Godmother to handle every detail.

Golden Oak residents can also take advantage of "Disney Connection" amenities. These special services include door-to-park transportation to select locations at Walt Disney World Resort, Extra Magic Hours (at one Walt Disney World Resort theme park each day to enjoy select attractions), merchandise delivery from most Walt Disney World retail locations and discounts at all Walt Disney World golf courses.

For more information about Golden Oak, visit http://www.disneygoldenoak.com or call (407) 939-5593.

ABOUT GOLDEN OAK at WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT

Golden Oak brings together family, friends, and cherished Disney traditions in a unique, luxury residential resort community of single-family custom homes with prices starting at $1.6 million. To live at Golden Oak is to enjoy a year-round resort lifestyle that includes distinctive neighborhoods, expansive nature preserves, and an unsurpassed array of amenities and concierge-style resident services. The community's resort and recreation options include a private clubhouse and, scheduled to open in 2014, Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort and a championship golf course.

Golden Oak offers a refined interpretation of resort living. Homesites are carefully placed to maximize privacy and landscape views, while home designs reflect the character and presence of century-old dwellings. Once fully developed, Golden Oak is anticipated to include approximately 450 homes and encompass 980 acres.

GO-website_crops_875x600_Joli.jpg.57b50e02c2a376698f8cdf9a79347eae.jpg

The model home drawing is beautiful! Not sure I'd want to live there full time but it would be definitely cool to go there. Joey, maybe we can get some sort of TPR time share and go all in on one or two houses!

• 2 weeks later...

http://allthingsd.com/video/?video_id=528B4FF7-C8CA-42B4-AF89-59DCE53C18F1

Thomas Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, joined Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher onstage at our D11 conference to demo how the MagicBand works and explain how the company has been using technology to enhance the guest experience.