TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

What's the reference to a backwards loops about? I may be being a moron (it happens quite often I assure you) but it looks forwards to me.

Gonna take a wild guess and assume they're talking about the immelman.

I also kind of disagree with the "Reborn" marketing as well.

It looks like a pretty fun ride though, and the lift hill seems to be the natural successor to the Volare spiral lift. Hopefully it doesn't end up terrible like the Volares are.

I really like the layout, the lift looks like a nice play on the one used on Divertical and I like the way the ride starts with inversions on the outbound journey and finishes with airtime on the way back, overall an effective use of space. Also the trains look cool and bizarre in a really good way. My real issue is with the whole "Thunderbolt Reborn" marketing. It doesn't occupy the same space, have the same layout, it's not even wooden or remotely similar, I feel like it could be just as effectively marketed with a just the Thunderbolt name or by using branding it as a remake of one of the original looping coasters at Coney, like Flip-Flap Railway or Loop the Loop.

My real issue is with the whole "Thunderbolt Reborn" marketing. It doesn't occupy the same space, have the same layout, it's not even wooden or remotely similar, I feel like it could be just as effectively marketed with a just the Thunderbolt name or by using branding it as a remake of one of the original looping coasters at Coney, like Flip-Flap Railway or Loop the Loop.

You are analyzing it too deeply.

It is a roller coaster that will be in practically the same spot as Thunderbolt and the general public remembers the image of the Thunderbolt.

Do you really think ANYONE outside the enthusiast community has ever heard of the two other coasters you mentioned? Do you think ANYONE who would potentially ride the new Thunderbolt has ever seen the other two coasters you mentioned in person?

So for those of you more familiar with the land ownership, is the rest of the vacant space next to Thunderbolt Reborn also under CAI's control? I'm curious to see if they'd spread themselves further down after this addition is complete.

The lighting ceremony for the Parachute Tower is Friday night June 21st.

So for those of you more familiar with the land ownership, is the rest of the vacant space next to Thunderbolt Reborn also under CAI's control? I'm curious to see if they'd spread themselves further down after this addition is complete.

To best answer your question I'll refer to the map below.

The unlabeled Parcel between Keyspan Stadium and West 15th Street is the parcel that Zamperla now controls and where the new Thunderbolt will stand. I'm not convinced there will be as much green space between the coaster and the stadium as they show in the animation.

Keyspan Stadium does not stretch all the way to the boardwalk. The parachute jump and B&B Carousel are actually in the bottom right hand corner of the Keyspan parcel.

Parcel B (Coasters) and C (Go-Cart and SkyScreamer) are now Scream Zone

Parcel A is Luna Park

The unlabeled road running parallel to Surf Avenue from West15th to Luna Park is the Bowery.

Most of the area wedged between Parcels B & C and the Bowery is leased by the city to independent operators/vendors, formerly home of the never opened MegaWhirl

Just above the word Deno's are where rides such as Saturn 6 and Ghost Hole are.

I hope that clears things up for you.

240084907_coney-island-amusement-operator-sites1.jpg.8c1deeaa97924ce3336fc5dfc86b32a1.jpg

Edited by larrygator

http://www.nycedc.com/press-release/nycedc-announces-new-thunderbolt-roller-coaster-be-built-coney-island

Coaster to be Built on Site of Historic Thunderbolt Roller Coaster; 125 Foot Tall State of the Art Steel Roller Coaster Reaches Speeds of 65mph

Builds Upon Opening of Coney Island for the Summer and New B&B Carousell

New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) today announced a new major roller coaster, “Thunderbolt”, will be built at Coney Island and open for next year’s summer season. Thrilling riders with speeds of 65 miles per hour, the 125 foot tall roller coaster, featuring over 2,000 feet of track, will sit near the historic B&B Carousell and the new Steeplechase Plaza, and mark another important milestone in Coney Island’s rebirth. Thunderbolt will be built and operated by Central Amusement International (CAI), the operator of Luna Park, entirely through private investment. Today’s announcement comes just two weeks after the Mayor officially opened Coney Island for the 2013 summer season and unveiled the new Steeplechase Plaza, a two-acre public open space featuring the recently restored B&B Carousell in a state-of-the-art pavilion. The Thunderbolt coaster is the latest in a series of critical investments that the City has made over the last decade to revitalize Coney Island’s amusement core as well as the surrounding area.

“With our recent opening of the beaches, the B&B Carousell, and now the Thunderbolt roller coaster, Coney Island is once again demonstrating its incredible resilience,” said New York City Economic Development Corporation Executive Director Kyle E. Kimball. “For a decade, the City has made investing in Coney Island a priority. The Thunderbolt roller coaster will build upon that commitment by providing visitors to Coney Island with a fantastic new attraction, boosting the local economy and helping create jobs in the neighborhood still recovering from Hurricane Sandy.”

"Bravo to fellow-Brooklynite and New York City EDC President Seth Pinsky and to CAI for ‘launching’ the effort to bring the Thunderbolt Roller Coaster back to Coney Island at its original site,” said Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz. “While you might be more likely to find me on the B&B Carousell than on this new 65 mile-per-hour, 125 foot tall roller coaster, I have no doubt that this ride will be yet another heart-stopping, in-your-face amusement. Thanks to the Thunderbolt’s return, all of the other exciting new additions to Coney Island and of course its trademark attitude, Coney Island truly is ‘America’s playground’ and the trip to Coney Island is a 'ride' worth taking for families all over New York City and beyond.”

“Thunderbolt will help cement Coney Island’s standing as a world-class entertainment center,” said City Council Member Domenic M. Recchia Jr. “With the coming launch of this coaster, the new Steeplechase Plaza, the renovated Parachute Jump, as well as the thousands of new jobs being created in the neighborhood, there's plenty of good news to go around. Thanks to the hard work of our local businesses and the EDC, it's clear that Coney Island is coming back stronger and better than ever.”

“As we continue to honor our commitment to delivering entertainment and thrills to locals and tourists visiting New York, we’re excited to announce our newest rollercoaster, Thunderbolt,” says Valerio Ferrari, President of Central Amusement International, LLC. “This is going to be the first steel custom roller coaster in Coney Island since the debut of the Cyclone in 1927. Thunderbolt will put back Coney Island on the Olympus of the Amusement Area destination in the World.”

Pictures of the coaster are available on NYCEDC’s website.

CAI was selected to build the coaster following a Request for Proposals (RFP) issued by the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) in the Fall of 2012 seeking development on the West 15th Street site. Thunderbolt is designed as a one-of-a-kind ‘out and back’ steel coaster, taking riders in a vertical lift reaching a staggering height of 110 feet. Once riders reach the top of the lift, the train will be unleashed onto the first vertical drop and then through a series of elements and inversions while traveling at 65 mph. The ride will then make its return through a series of “bunny hills” that will give riders a floating sensation until the train returns back into the station.

Thunderbolt is the latest in a series of investments by the City and CAI, its key partner in the development of the Coney Island amusement area. Since the passage of the Coney Island rezoning in 2009, the City and CAI have built over 8 acres of new amusement parks, restoring once vacant properties with new popular attractions. The amusement parks are now larger than at any time since 1964. The construction of Thunderbolt is another key piece of the City’s Coney Island Revitalization Plan, which will continue to preserve and grow the historic amusement area; create a vibrant mixed-use neighborhood with new retail options and nearly 5,000 new units of housing, including 900 income-targeted units; and generate more than 25,000 construction jobs and 6,000 permanent jobs. As part of the plan, the City is investing more than $150 million toward infrastructure improvements in Coney Island, including rebuilding large sections of the Boardwalk as well as implementing other streetscape improvements which are planned in Coney Island for the next two summer seasons.

Last year, millions of New Yorkers and visitors from across the globe came to Coney Island, and this summer, Coney Island is poised for another record breaking season. Once completed, the new Thunderbolt coaster will be complemented by the recently opened Steeplechase Plaza and carousel pavilion as well as other new attractions in the amusement area, including the opening of an Applebee’s restaurant, which will be open year-round, and It’Sugar, a candy store on the corner of Stillwell and Surf Avenues. Other local businesses recently celebrated the start of the 2013 amusement season, including: Nathan’s Famous, Brooklyn Beach Shop, Tom’s Restaurant, Ruby’s Bar & Grill, Paul’s Daughter, and Coney Cones. Place to Beach, a new bar and restaurant on the Boardwalk has also opened for the summer.

Earlier this year, the City began accepting applications for Coney Island Commons, a new housing development that includes nearly 200 units of affordable housing and a new state-of-the-art YMCA—the first in Southern Brooklyn—slated for opening later this year. Also earlier this year, NYCEDC, Council Member Domenic M. Recchia, Jr., and the Alliance for Coney Island, with support from Workforce1 and Small Business Services, hosted its fourth annual job screening events in anticipation of the 2013 season. The recruitment effort sought to fill over 800 positions in the amusement area, many of which were filled by Coney Island residents.

This appears to be the official layout and look of the ride... Notice this version is lacking the rotating lift and it sports a very different color scheme.

panorami_0444_retouch.thumb.jpg.66382e38e5887e7158b47eb20aab6ec5.jpg

Picture2_retouch_crop.jpg.9aa0dec0a9f87f30d424cc8cee88a4b2.jpg

TEST_Main.281_retouch.thumb.jpg.f0a38c1af49d9042df9a4ca4d3143895.jpg

1264039219_thunderboltstationtower2.thumb.jpg.e70406dcb9d313afa97417ef10cb8e96.jpg

440220750_thunderboltstationtower4.thumb.jpg.37f1c3cbe035ff1574c24d794214617f.jpg

314133072_thunderboltstationtower5.thumb.jpg.d9f4a560e6341ea1327d38832e4cea7d.jpg

2124009602_thunderboltstationtower7.thumb.jpg.56f854649d09d772e1132d30c14f8abf.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I think its bizarre that they have like three different renderings of the attraction don't forget that adjacent to this will be the new steeplechase plaza where steeplechase park once was. Steeplechase Plaza will have retail space and will be able to host public performances and will become home to a new carousel as it seems. According to what I've heard this will be part of that whole area.