TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

On the contrary, I thought Raging Bull was the biggest disappointment Ive ever been on and Nitro is one of the best. Depends on your angle I suppose.

As for this ride, lookin really fine, especially for a Beemer.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just at Busch last month working in the Entertainment Departmenr and got a close up look at Sheikra from backstage. Let me just say that first drop looks AWESOME! Even better is the view from across the street in the McDonald's parking lot.

I can't wait to ride it, but I still hold out hope that one day a Central Florida park will build an Intamin Hyper or Giga Coaster!

She1.jpg.4072ffa6c0b9ead1a471ce7f6409d2bb.jpg

www.bgtguide.com has just posted a testing video:

http://www.ftnmedia.com/video/day_1.zip

Other than the video being fairly terrible (it looks like it's not 29.97 FPS and you spend the first 20 seconds of the 59 second video waiting for the thing to drop) I have to say that the ride doesn't look as good as I was hoping.

I'm sure it will still be fun, because, I mean, even the worst B&Ms are fun, but it looks a LOT slower than I was expecting.

We'll just have to see what happens between now and opening as I'm not one to judge a ride before I ride it, but wow...looking at that video seems to be about on par with other recent forceless B&M's.....

--Robb "Oh, well...at least there is Kumba at that park!" Alvey

The first drop and inversion didn't look that slow to me. It looked like what I was expecting. The brakes are a disappointment though. I was hoping it would have a decent amount of speed before the second drop. The only section that seemed a little slow was the turn following the second drop. Of course, you still have to assume the speed will increase once the trains are broken in. (I hope, I hope) Reguardless I plan to head down there this summer and check it out. And as Robb said before, they have Kumba

I wander if the drop sensation will be much different from Oblivion or G5. I hope so, I love Oblivion..

This is probably my favourite (looking) coaster for 2005. As I said, I love Oblivion, so this is like that..plus 2 other rides. It's like 3 different rides in one! yaay...shame I'm probably never ever gonna get to ride it.

I'm downloading the testing video now though...I hope I'm not dissapointed.

Looks like fun. Can't wait for my next trip to Florida. I had this feeling after i went for a visit to Florida in March 04 to hit up Universal and BGT that one of those parks would have something new the following year. Big shock when both places added something new...

I guess making a re-creation and 'ace'ing all my physics courses in college led me to imagine a fairly accurate depiction (after looking at that video).

I knew they'd have to break like a beeyotch for that 2nd drop.

Remember folks -- that's a 24 person train === serious momentum. Its got the pacing of a normal coaster

I think it will be fun, but maybe not as intense as some hope for?

Jose "my wife actually wants to visit Bush Gardens soon" Eber

I never thought SheiKra was going to be terrifically intense in the first place -- I'm surprised anyone did.

It didn't seem like that was the concept they were going for anyway.

Sure, it's got two rather intense drops. But from the promotional video, everything between and beyond seemed to be taken rather leisurely. From what I gathered, the intent was to scare you silly with the drops, and then lull you into a sort of false sense of relief before the next one. Letting you catch your breath between elements.

It seemed to me from the beginning that "fun" was the centerpoint of their vision. I mean, look at the water landing toward the end. It's sort of a new skool meets old skool thing.

First and foremost, this is a drop coaster. As such, the drops are supposed to be the scary part. Everything else is merely there for the purposes of enjoyment -- not sheer intensity of forces.

Call me crazy, but I still think this will be an awesome coaster. Maybe not what you wanted, but so what? The park already has two coasters chock full of brute force. Let's see how this novel ideal of "fun" works out for a change, hmm?

I think the video FPS is misleading.

How fast were you guys expecting it to go? Frankly it looked even faster than I anticipated and if you had smoother video (better compression too) it can totally alter the rides perception of speed.

But you guys know that, you are video guru's

The park already has two coasters chock full of brute force. Let's see how this novel ideal of "fun" works out for a change, hmm?

I really hope you arent talking about Kumba and Montu...cause Montu was one of the weakest rides Ive been on. I didnt feel much force, if any on it. Gwazi kicked the crap out of it. I got airtime and a huge dose of laterals on Gwazi. Just wanting to make sure cause if Montu is intense...Kumba must be off the charts. Kumba ripped through its elements while Montu meandered through at best. I still stand by Raptor as better than Montu. (montu was running as usual, trims on medium and mcb on hard)

to bad IAAPA isnt in FL this year... I wont get to ride it until 2008 or so...

Where will it be then?

Davon "definetley not in socal" Dorsey

P.S. Sorry about spelling.

^ ^You dident feel anything on Montu? I find that hard to beleave. The loop and immlimen (sp?) are both intence and great, the barrell roll packs a punch, and the trims before the awsomley intense bat wing hardly tap the train now! The floater air time into the MCBR is fun, and the MCBR isnt THAT badly braked, the loop and the corkscrew barrell roll thingy is intence along with the helix into the entrance to the break run. Ive ridden montu 331 times and still think it packs a punch, considering that Kumba is in the same park and is more intence.

As for sheikra, it just doesnt look right in the video that it would go that slow after seeing the track in person. The caresel turn above the smoke house looks a little slow, and the little trim coming out of the water section made me un happy, but the layout is still great IMO. I look forward to riding it and I pray to god that it will be more intence than Silver Bullet.

Colin"sticking up for my montu!"C

^ ^You dident feel anything on Montu? I find that hard to beleave. The loop and immlimen (sp?) are both intence and great, the barrell roll packs a punch, and the trims before the awsomley intense bat wing hardly tap the train now! The floater air time into the MCBR is fun, and the MCBR isnt THAT badly braked, the loop and the corkscrew barrell roll thingy is intence along with the helix into the entrance to the break run. Ive ridden montu 331 times and still think it packs a punch, considering that Kumba is in the same park and is more intence.

Thats right. The loop was a loop...nothing untypical about it, back or front.

Immelman did what I expected, floater. Its not SUPPOSED to be intense, immelmans should deliver imo floater air at the top with the rotation feeling. The zero g IMO was taken a touch too fast actually, taking away the Zero G feeling and making it more of a speed roll.

The Batwing was the only remotely intense part but still, friction trims suck.

As for the brake on the MCB, we came to a screeching hault. I think we went from like 30 to 5mph. From there that loop underground isnt any more intense than the first. And I must say the rest is quite boring. The turn around is slow and the wingover, while awesome from the front seat, doesnt whip as much as Raptors or BTR's.

I really find the second half of Montu to just be kinda blah. I would rather have a wingover than a loop, its MUCH more dynamic from a design/artistic standpoint. I think with trims off the ride would be hella intense but its been neutered so badly.

I know its not that intense because I had very high hopes from all the things people said, much like what you said. It just totally did not deliver at all for me. Not quite as bad as Raging Bull (ultimate disappointment forme) but it was close. Kumba on the other hand was WAY better than I expected. So was Gwazi and it wasnt even racing.

With that being said, Montu was still VERY fun. Thats my analytical - pick - it - apart review. I dont like to do that but I do for that ride and Raging Bull because I expected so much but go so little.

Sorry to side track topic.

That darn thing takes forever to drop, it almost seems a little excessive and people will forget they are on a coaster when your sitting in the 3rd row.

Well, they are testing, so its not 'final'...the 2nd drop/brake is probably more of what the ride is going to be like. That part is crazy. But you HAVE to slow these coasters down considerably...otherwise your negative G will be excessive/dangerous.

It will be kuhl.

Jose E

Am I the only one NOT surprised how slow it slows down on the brake run? I personally figured when they annouced that the brakes would be on HEAVY so you didn't get violent airtime. I personally have never been excited and never will be excited about it, it could be good but ehh...

I dont know what to say about SheiKra, I mean I always thought it would be cool but from the looks of the video and the artwork I didn't ever think the ride would be "intense" but more of fun.

I dont really think it will be the next silver bullet, it will probably be allitle more intense than that (well I haven't rode Silver Bullet but from what I hear is, its not the biggest G-Force machine) but the ride definately doesn't have alot to it.

I was also surprised by the long amount of time it takes to drop, when they said 10seconds I didn't know 10seconds would be making it all the way around that turnover. Is it going to go that slow all the time or is that just a testing issue. I would have thought that it would have moved around the turn nice and fast then stop and held for 10seconds, but the ride kindof more "tries not to drop" and never really comes to a complete stop.

Well however it goes, this probably wasn't meant to be one of their greatest coasters, probably more of an upgrade from the previous Dive Machines?

-Justin "I really thought the inversion would be a HANGOVER and not even go as fast as it does, over it"