TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

At 125ft and 65mph it seems Zamoerla is going for their own version of a Eurofighter, or at least one with a steep drop (or launch). Should be interesting, and another good thing for Coney Island. Plus I'll gladly take any excuse to go back to NYC.

This appears to be the same plot of land that the city asked for bids on back in September, so in the world of NYC politics that was a quick turnaround. I'm not surprised that it was awarded to CAI/Zamperla.

I mentioned this to a few people during the China Trip that if I had the money and the connections I would have put a bid in to bring back a wooden coaster reminiscent of the Thunderbolt.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/coast_coast_at_coney_SeYP1LwQEAHvCnC6I9WoCO

Coney Island’s world-famous roller coaster is getting some super-steep competition.

The city’s Economic Development Corp. is bringing a sleek new version of the old Thunderbolt roller coaster back to Coney Island next summer – one that’s faster, taller and smoother than the legendary, wooden Cyclone a few blocks down the boardwalk.

Unlike the original Thunderbolt on the same site — which was immortalized in Woody Allen’s 1977 film “Annie Hall” and then torn down in 2000 to make way for the Mets’ minor-league Brooklyn Cyclones — the new coaster will include thrilling, backward loops, corkscrew turns and a stomach-churning 125-foot drop.

It will also hit speeds of 65 mph — the fastest of any coaster in the city’s history, surpassing the Cyclone’s 60-mph maximum.

“There’s nothing like it in Coney Island right now, and people are going to love it,” boasted Valerio Ferrari, president of Zamperla USA, which will build and operate the $10 million ride.

It’ll be the first custom-made coaster for Coney Island since the Cyclone opened in 1927. The coaster will feature three cars that can each carry up to nine passengers.

Ferrari called the new Thunderbolt “a perfect complement to the Cyclone,” saying it can help bring Coney Island back to being one of the top tourist destinations in the world.

It’ll be built of more than 2,000 feet of steel track on a long, but narrow acre of city-owned land at West 15th Street between Surf Avenue and the boardwalk.

The site is part of a larger, long-vacant lot that once housed the original Thunderbolt and other amusements. The family of Kansas Fried Chicken king Horace Bullard, who passed away in April, owns the rest of the old Thunderbolt property.

Kyle Kimball, the EDC’s executive director, said the Thunderbolt’s rebirth coupled with the recent reopening of the beaches, boardwalk and other new amusements shows that “Coney Island is once again demonstrating its incredible resilience” even while “still recovering” from Superstorm Sandy.

Only two weeks ago, Mayor Bloomberg unveiled a long-anticipated piece of his Coney Island makeover plan just next door to the Thunderbolt site: the new Steeplechase Plaza, which showcases the landmarked Parachute Jump and a restored, century-old carousel.

The original wooden Thunderbolt opened in 1925 and was in operation until 1982. It was built atop a 19th-century home, originally known as the Kensington Hotel. In “Annie Hall,” the house under the coaster was the childhood home of lead character Alvy Singer. It was occupied until the mid-1980s and torn down in 2000.

Despite calls for the Thunderbolt to be landmarked, it was razed without Bullard’s consent in 2000 on orders from then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who saw it as an eyesore for fans at the minor-league ballpark.

Looks like a Maurer to me, but I wouldn't put Gerstlauer out of the question either.

EDIT: Whoops! That's what I get for not reading the article.

Edited by Myself

Looks like an interesting addition - vertical lift and 3-across seating make it different enough even if the layout is nothing incredible. They've definitely made good use of the limited space though.

Awesome the Coney park is getting a new coaster. It looks thrilling! But...please - advertising that the Thunderbolt is making a comeback I'm sure irks those of us who wish it was the original being rebuilt.

So I sat down with some crayons this morning... and doodled the new Coney Island coaster!

Joking aside, it might turn out to be a really fun ride, never know! I guess the 3 across seating isn't too odd. How often do we see 3 in a row on B&Ms? All the time. Good for filling in single riders, too.

At minimum, the video has Debbie Harry at the start At maximum, it could turn out to be a really fun ride!

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

This actually looks pretty cool. But I am confused on one thing. The announcement states this.

Unlike the original Thunderbolt on the same site — which was immortalized in Woody Allen’s 1977 film “Annie Hall” and then torn down in 2000 to make way for the Mets’ minor-league Brooklyn Cyclones — the new coaster will include thrilling, backward loops, corkscrew turns and a stomach-churning 125-foot drop.

What's the reference to a backwards loops about? I may be being a moron (it happens quite often I assure you) but it looks forwards to me.

^I'm thinking it's just whoever wrote the piece coming up with a term for an inversion that's not a standard "loop." Or maybe you will be able to ride it backwards. Who knows... I know the animation is poor, but at least it's something new. That lift is going to be super creepy! A good thing of course.