TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

The penguins are still getting use to their habitat and once they are fully accumulated they won't be doing this.

That's a shame. I'd probably wait in the line more often if I knew I could see a random jumper penguin!

That's one of the worst corporate excuses I've heard yet!

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was just a huge design flaw that no one realized until it was too late.

I imagine them having initially designed a "non rider" path through the exhibit, but that possibly being cut from the budget because someone said "we can just send them through the exit." Then when they built it, they realized the humidity was causing trouble and went "oh crap."

Edited by Jew

The penguins are still getting use to their habitat and once they are fully accumulated they won't be doing this.

That's a shame. I'd probably wait in the line more often if I knew I could see a random jumper penguin!

They do it with Peacocks, why can't they have Penguins running around free?

As an employee of Seaworld at the new expedition cafe...

Huge Budgeting fail due to expensive trackless cars? My working theory.

If you worked in Antarctica, you'd know this wasn't the case. (You have access to a trove to information that the public shouldn't know about! Just ask Brian Marrow a question when he walks by!) They knew how much these trackless vehicles cost up front.

It's not just a ride. And that's the main reason people are getting ticked off; because it's being marketed like a ride. It's a experience that includes a Show, a ride, and a exhibit that will bring you right into the action with Penguins, showing how they bond as a family. It's a 30 minute experience from the minute you get into the show building.

I understand that people are disappointed about the ride, but honestly, as Robb pointed out, the main attraction is the Penguins. Also, when it's not possible to operate rides in extreme cold around united states, it's understandable why they needed a trackless ride system.

When you say you work in a area, then throw out information, that how rumors get started.

Edited by Inukaza

Just got back from Seaworld and my first ever ride on Empire of the Penguin. Overall, I think the whole area is a very nice addition to the park, but for me not really worth more than a 10 minute wait for the ride itself. ...And definitely not worth the 2 1/2 hour wait by 10:30 this morning. Luckily, I had a front of the line pass being a SP holder. Otherwise, I probably would have just waited till the fall to ride.

On the other hand, I did have 4 walk-ons on Manta and 6 walk-ons on Kraken by 10:15. Thanks, Antarctica.

It's a shame that this thing has opened to such average reviews, I haven't heard a single person say they were impressed with the overall attraction other than the themeing in the exterior plaza area (on these forums or from any other "GP" reviews from non coaster friends etc). Maybe the trackless nature of the ride can allow for the experience to be customized and tweaked over time to provide a more "entertaining" product, but at this point the thing kinda sounds like a bust (I'll still reserve my personal judgement until I can get on it one of these days).

I totally agree! That would definitely make the attraction better.

Is Antarctica included on SeaWorld's front-of-the-line pass thingy? If it's not I probably won't ride it on my vacation.

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-orlando/Attractions/Rides/Quick-Queue-Unlimited?from=Top_Nav

(For the link lazy..details below)

"Skip the regular lines and enjoy front-of-the-line access at our most popular rides including:

Manta®

Kraken®

Journey to Atlantis®

TurtleTrek®

Sky Tower

Wild Arctic®

Ride height and safety restrictions apply.

Discounts available for Pass Members through the Pass Member website. "

Maybe? Maybe not....Went to the park on Friday..nets are up at the moment in front of the penguins. I guess the jail bird penguin that made it on the news was just one of the times that it had happened.

nets are up at the moment in front of the penguins. I guess the jail bird penguin that made it on the news was just one of the times that it had happened.

Penguins hardly pose a threat to humans, no matter how small the children are. I've been to many aquatic shows where penguins come out and roam around the aisles. At the St. Louis Zoo the glass is only six inches above the water, and there are no jumper penguins. SeaWorld should either just have a trainer there 24/7 in case this happens or replace the glass to make it higher overnight sometime soon. I am really hoping this net is just temporary.

The employee we talked to said they did not have an exact time frame of when the nets would be down. They stated normally they were up before at night times (after the park closed)...They did not have nets in one small part (where they had photographers taking your picture) right when you got off the ride....

I am sure the penguins would not do any real harm (based upon my 2% knowledge on penguins)

It's a nice addition overall. Ride could have been a bit longer. But the live penguins part is much much better then before.

Maybe? Maybe not....Went to the park on Friday..nets are up at the moment in front of the penguins. I guess the jail bird penguin that made it on the news was just one of the times that it had happened.

Any photos? Curious to see what it looks like now.

Is this ride extremely low capacity? We went twice last week and both times over 120 minutes. We got in line the one day and the line barely moved at all the 25 minutes we waited until we decided it was not worth it. Went by the exit of the ride and it was like 4-6 people came out every 30 seconds or so.

I did ask two groups how long they waited and it if it was worth it, both immediately said "No!". Not a good sign for a new attraction.

Although I am sure it is amazing, the lines are just too long for what it is. If the lines were only a half hour I am sure it would get much better reviews. I was bummed we did not get to see it, but it was just not worth the 2-hrs to find out for us. The area looked pretty good though, and the drink was great (a really good cream soda, basically).