TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^Rumor is it's closed for good and the whole ride may be gone within a couple of years.

Yeah, I definitely started suspecting that. Even with the Millennium Flyers the ride still is not running well (it was my first time since 2010). I guess the damage has already been done by more than a decade of heavy wear and tear.

That bridge isn't temporary. It's their permanent quick queue entrance for Gwazi Lion. It seems they have abandoned Gwazi Tiger completely. I did hear a rumor that Gwazi will stay open until the end of the summer season, so get your rough rides in quickly!

Also, the rumors I hear from around the park and creative design are great. A replacement is being considered, but don't expect a new addition for the area for a few years.

^Rumor is it's closed for good and the whole ride may be gone within a couple of years.

Yeah, I definitely started suspecting that. Even with the Millennium Flyers the ride still is not running well (it was my first time since 2010). I guess the damage has already been done by more than a decade of heavy wear and tear.

When I first rode it with the old trains, I thought it was OK. It actually seemed worse with the Flyers.

Anyone know about Gwazi's current and future status? I just went to BGT yesterday and saw that a temporary bridge was put In over the Tiger side's track in the station. It was for riders that had "reserved" seats in the middle few rows (what's that about?). The entire track is also already pretty rusty; I doubt it will be running any time this season.

I think this proves that Tiger side Gwazi is going to be removed.

When I rode Gwazi last month, I thought it wasn't a bad ride at all, even if I was sitting alone in the front of the train. I thought it was smoother than retracked Georgia Cyclone. (Yes, you can tell I don't ride coasters often.)

I think this proves that Tiger side Gwazi is going to be removed.

I don't think it proves anything yet, but if one side were to be removed, it is likely that both sides would be removed.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay announced today that after this Sunday, Sandstorm will be retired to make way for a new attraction to be announced soon.

On June 3, Busch Gardens Tampa will bid farewell to a ride that has entertained guests for more than three decades, as the park prepares to drop big news for what lies ahead.

This Sunday, June 2 will be the last day Busch Gardens Tampa guests will be able to ride the Sandstorm. Located in the Timbuktu area of the park, the Sandstorm opened in December 1979. Following the Sandstorm’s departure, Busch Gardens Tampa will announce future plans for Timbuktu.

^Are you referring to the PittFall rumor? I'm totally find with a used 250' Intamin Tower!

Actually, no! From what I've heard, ideas are for a more extreme form of Acrophobia. But I don't know who is building the ride, nor the exact specs. Can't wait for them to "drop" the news in soon.

I am actually glad sandstorm is leaving. It is a very old attraction and although it was fun, I never felt that it was safe. I worked there for 3 years and I always felt so uneasy with the ride. Hope this tower is also not a big disappointment as the one in BGW. I hope that BGT can focus on more flats going forward.

^Are you referring to the PittFall rumor? I'm totally find with a used 250' Intamin Tower!

Actually, no! From what I've heard, ideas are for a more extreme form of Acrophobia. But I don't know who is building the ride, nor the exact specs. Can't wait for them to "drop" the news in soon.

A more extreme form of Acrophobia? Why didn't I wait a year or two before I visited BGT? Oh yeah, a woodie could be going bye-bye, and I needed the GCI credit.

PittFall (or any second-gen Intamin Drop Tower for that matter) would go a long way towards filling the void that an all but certain Gwazi removal would create for me (and perhaps the 4.5 others worldwide that like the coaster).

Wasn't the planning permission for the new tower supposed to be over 300 feet?

Wouldn't be upset about a used Intamin tower, but really hoping we get something newer and unique.