Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Chittlins » Wed May 15, 2013 6:37 pm

So Sad

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed May 15, 2013 8:01 pm

chadster wrote:OzCat is trash, the trains are gone and the ride has been pieced out.

I forget, where did Ozark Wildcat's trains go?
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Spideyfreak » Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 pm

^Dollywood

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release about their upcoming Bluegrass & BBQ festival.

The all-American favorites of bluegrass music and slow-smoked barbecue take over the Silver Dollar City streets as the park's Bluegrass & BBQ festival fires up the stages and the grills in the Branson, Missouri theme park. Awarded a bluegrass "Event of the Year" by the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA), Bluegrass & BBQ presents more than 40 bands and hundreds of performances, from international award-winning musicians to the hottest new bands in bluegrass today.

"Bluegrass music has its roots in every country around the world, but it all came together here in America," said festival manager D.A. Callaway, who visits bluegrass festivals around the country to find talent, and was named "Bluegrass Promoter of the Year" by the Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America in 2012 & 2013. "Since it was first recognized as a genre in the 1950s, bluegrass has grown in popularity as each generation that comes along adds to the spirit, the energy, and the innovation of the music, and that's why today's bluegrass music is the best it has ever been," he said.

The festival celebrates the all-American music genre, featuring top artists and award-winning performers in bluegrass today, including Rhonda Vincent, described as the "Queen of Bluegrass Music" by the Wall Street Journal, performing with her band the Rage; the Grammy-nominated Grascals; Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, 6-time IBMA Vocal Group of the Year winners; Blue Highway, the IBMA Vocal Group of the Year; the Boxcars, featuring 9-time IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year and 5-time Grammy winner Adam Steffey; and the Gibson Brothers, winner of the 2012 IBMA Entertainer of the Year. Plus, guests can see the top up-and-coming bands in bluegrass, such as The Bankesters, the Snyder Family Band, the Hillbenders and Monroeville.

New this year, guests can enjoy bluegrass music by land and by lake: Bluegrass Cruises are featured aboard the nearby Showboat Branson Belle, presented May 24 -26 at noon, featuring performances by Monroe Crossing on May 24, the Larry Stephenson Band on May 25, and The Special Consensus on May 26. The cruises include the show, a three-course meal and lake excursion.

National Bluegrass Competitions

Bluegrass & BBQ highlights two national competitions featuring entrants from across the country. The 7th Annual National Single Mic Championship, May 18, highlights performance skills as each band gathers around a single microphone and balances their sound by moving toward or away from it, a technique revived by many of today's top bluegrass bands. The Youth In Bluegrass Band Competition, May 25, promotes and encourages amateur bluegrass musicians 21 years of age or younger as they compete for top honors and cash prizes.

The House of BBQ, a Rib Feast & Hundreds of Sauces

The House of BBQ serves up Silver Dollar City's famous flavor feast from St. Louis-style ribs and smoked chicken to Texas brisket and sweet roasted corn on the cob -- direct from large outdoor charcoal grills and a custom-made 9-foot smoker. Another back-by-popular-demand feature is an all-you-can-eat BBQ rib feast on the Square each afternoon with fall-off-the-bone smoked ribs, plus SDC's famous 18-hour smoked brisket. The festival's signature dessert is a 25-lb. apple pie baked in a 2-foot wide cast iron skillet.

Returning to the House of BBQ are visiting, award-winning BBQ connoisseurs, bringing an additional dimension of barbecue variety. Featuring straight-out-of-the-Ozarks pit-style barbecue is Richard's Hawgwild BBQ of Aurora, Missouri. Adding even more heat to the grills is Dickey's Barbecue Pit, specializing in hickory smoked Texas-style meats. These new taste opportunities bring even more flavor variety - which is on overload on the City's Square, with guests welcome to sample hundreds of sauces, from smoky chipotle and sweet hickory to Carolina vinegar and honey habanero, plus the park's new Outlaw Run Zesty Honey sauce with a kick.

Silver Dollar City, located near Branson, Missouri, is open daily during Bluegrass & BBQ, May 9 - 27, except for Tuesdays, May 14 & 21. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (9:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sunday, May 26). For information and performers' schedules: 800-831-4FUN(386) or visit www.silverdollarcity.com. For information on Bluegrass Cruises, click the link for the Showboat Branson Belle.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:48 pm

cfc wrote:^We need more launched coasters like Powder Keg.

Totally agree. It really is a great ride. I'd love to see some parks get rides like Powder Keg, and I wouldn't be sad at all if they also decided to get some Cinnamon Bread!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Thu May 16, 2013 11:56 pm

I too have mourned the loss of OzCat. It was my first GCI. I loved it! I'm going to miss it. Maybe one day we will get a replica of it at SDC, or another park, but I dont highly expect it. I'm just glad I got to experience it in its short life.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:24 pm

^^Dollywood's Grist Mill cinammon bread is capable of making any park better... :lover:
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby soundn8 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 pm

I just found out that earlier today a man died right after getting off outlaw run. He had a heart attack and fell while walking out of the station, in front of a full cue waiting for the ride. Apparently his physical appearance was enough that my friends said he should not have been riding in the first place. I know this happens from time to time, and really can't be avoided, but it is unfortunate especially with such a new ride. My understanding is that in absolutely no way was the ride at fault (unlike the person who got crushed riding Fire In The Hole), and that he just wasn't fit to be riding. Not sure if this really needs any other comment, but it seemed newsworthy. Has anybody else heard anything?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 pm

So, downtime while the state investigates and deems the ride safe again.

It's unfortunate, but it happens.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Sat May 18, 2013 9:51 pm

I have also heard that there was an incident at OR today, but the rumors going around about it are both wrong and in some cases harmful. As knowledgeable enthusiasts, we need to be understanding that these kinds of rumors rarely hold much accurate information and can cause all sorts of issues for both the companies and families involved. I was informed earlier today that the incident was not related to the operation of the park or the ride. I would encourage others to wait until there is some official information about the incident before making any assumptions about what may or may not have happened.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!