TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I'm so glad that SDC is pulling in so many patrons right now, as it really is helping to spark the economy here in Branson. I am returning to the park tomorrow with some performer friends who haven't ridden Outlaw Run, and am so excited to introduce them. Just a quick note...I spoke to a park worker last Thursday who was a ride tech at Celebration City for Ozark Wildcat (the now defunct GCI twister), and asked if SDC had ever considered relocating the ride. This was, of course, before I knew that some of the ride systems from OW were recycled for OR. He informed me that because the ride has been sitting non-operated for so long, it would cost too much to relocate and make it operational again. I have to say that I am a bit disagreeable with this statement, and, quite frankly, I truly believe that SDC would be absolutely untouchable with OR and OW in the same park. OW would definitely fit into the park's theme and ambiance. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I would guess that the support structure would be okay, but that the track and trains are probably in not-so-good condition after sitting dormant for so long. They would probably have to re-track it at the absolute least. But, I'm just guessing.

If they would have to modify the support structure so much for the landscape, methinks that they'd be better off just building a brand new GCI with Ozark Wildcat's exact layout.

^I would assume it would be VERY hard to relocate any coaster at all, let alone a woody at SDC. That unique landscpe would probably be impossible to relocate a coaster. Unless they have a semi flat land

OzCat was built on flat ground and is fairly compact. SDC may have been out of the question but at the time CC was shut down but Herschend has other parks and manages others. It was only 4 years old and still riding great. Guess they may have owed too much on the park overall and valued it more for tax depreciation. CC was a bad concept. It needed later hours, free admission, more nightlife oriented activities like a bowling alley instead of more shows, perhaps an aquarium and a franchised sit down restaurant or two. Rides by ticket or wristbands with a hotel with an indoor waterpark and maybe some indoor flats with a wildmouse to make it viable year round. Think a Downtown Disney and Kemah boardwalk. With Old Time Christmas SDC is only shut down from early Jan to late March.

I have to say that I am a bit disagreeable with this statement

OzCat is trash, the trains are gone and the ride has been pieced out. It was built for the specific site, has sat too long, and would be cheaper to rebuild from scratch. Stick a fork in it, its done.

OzCat is trash, the trains are gone and the ride has been pieced out.

I forget, where did Ozark Wildcat's trains go?

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release about their upcoming Bluegrass & BBQ festival.

The all-American favorites of bluegrass music and slow-smoked barbecue take over the Silver Dollar City streets as the park's Bluegrass & BBQ festival fires up the stages and the grills in the Branson, Missouri theme park. Awarded a bluegrass "Event of the Year" by the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA), Bluegrass & BBQ presents more than 40 bands and hundreds of performances, from international award-winning musicians to the hottest new bands in bluegrass today.

"Bluegrass music has its roots in every country around the world, but it all came together here in America," said festival manager D.A. Callaway, who visits bluegrass festivals around the country to find talent, and was named "Bluegrass Promoter of the Year" by the Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America in 2012 & 2013. "Since it was first recognized as a genre in the 1950s, bluegrass has grown in popularity as each generation that comes along adds to the spirit, the energy, and the innovation of the music, and that's why today's bluegrass music is the best it has ever been," he said.

The festival celebrates the all-American music genre, featuring top artists and award-winning performers in bluegrass today, including Rhonda Vincent, described as the "Queen of Bluegrass Music" by the Wall Street Journal, performing with her band the Rage; the Grammy-nominated Grascals; Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, 6-time IBMA Vocal Group of the Year winners; Blue Highway, the IBMA Vocal Group of the Year; the Boxcars, featuring 9-time IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year and 5-time Grammy winner Adam Steffey; and the Gibson Brothers, winner of the 2012 IBMA Entertainer of the Year. Plus, guests can see the top up-and-coming bands in bluegrass, such as The Bankesters, the Snyder Family Band, the Hillbenders and Monroeville.

New this year, guests can enjoy bluegrass music by land and by lake: Bluegrass Cruises are featured aboard the nearby Showboat Branson Belle, presented May 24 -26 at noon, featuring performances by Monroe Crossing on May 24, the Larry Stephenson Band on May 25, and The Special Consensus on May 26. The cruises include the show, a three-course meal and lake excursion.

National Bluegrass Competitions

Bluegrass & BBQ highlights two national competitions featuring entrants from across the country. The 7th Annual National Single Mic Championship, May 18, highlights performance skills as each band gathers around a single microphone and balances their sound by moving toward or away from it, a technique revived by many of today's top bluegrass bands. The Youth In Bluegrass Band Competition, May 25, promotes and encourages amateur bluegrass musicians 21 years of age or younger as they compete for top honors and cash prizes.

The House of BBQ, a Rib Feast & Hundreds of Sauces

The House of BBQ serves up Silver Dollar City's famous flavor feast from St. Louis-style ribs and smoked chicken to Texas brisket and sweet roasted corn on the cob -- direct from large outdoor charcoal grills and a custom-made 9-foot smoker. Another back-by-popular-demand feature is an all-you-can-eat BBQ rib feast on the Square each afternoon with fall-off-the-bone smoked ribs, plus SDC's famous 18-hour smoked brisket. The festival's signature dessert is a 25-lb. apple pie baked in a 2-foot wide cast iron skillet.

Returning to the House of BBQ are visiting, award-winning BBQ connoisseurs, bringing an additional dimension of barbecue variety. Featuring straight-out-of-the-Ozarks pit-style barbecue is Richard's Hawgwild BBQ of Aurora, Missouri. Adding even more heat to the grills is Dickey's Barbecue Pit, specializing in hickory smoked Texas-style meats. These new taste opportunities bring even more flavor variety - which is on overload on the City's Square, with guests welcome to sample hundreds of sauces, from smoky chipotle and sweet hickory to Carolina vinegar and honey habanero, plus the park's new Outlaw Run Zesty Honey sauce with a kick.

Silver Dollar City, located near Branson, Missouri, is open daily during Bluegrass & BBQ, May 9 - 27, except for Tuesdays, May 14 & 21. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (9:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sunday, May 26). For information and performers' schedules: 800-831-4FUN(386) or visit www.silverdollarcity.com. For information on Bluegrass Cruises, click the link for the Showboat Branson Belle.

^We need more launched coasters like Powder Keg.

Totally agree. It really is a great ride. I'd love to see some parks get rides like Powder Keg, and I wouldn't be sad at all if they also decided to get some Cinnamon Bread!

I too have mourned the loss of OzCat. It was my first GCI. I loved it! I'm going to miss it. Maybe one day we will get a replica of it at SDC, or another park, but I dont highly expect it. I'm just glad I got to experience it in its short life.

I just found out that earlier today a man died right after getting off outlaw run. He had a heart attack and fell while walking out of the station, in front of a full cue waiting for the ride. Apparently his physical appearance was enough that my friends said he should not have been riding in the first place. I know this happens from time to time, and really can't be avoided, but it is unfortunate especially with such a new ride. My understanding is that in absolutely no way was the ride at fault (unlike the person who got crushed riding Fire In The Hole), and that he just wasn't fit to be riding. Not sure if this really needs any other comment, but it seemed newsworthy. Has anybody else heard anything?

I have also heard that there was an incident at OR today, but the rumors going around about it are both wrong and in some cases harmful. As knowledgeable enthusiasts, we need to be understanding that these kinds of rumors rarely hold much accurate information and can cause all sorts of issues for both the companies and families involved. I was informed earlier today that the incident was not related to the operation of the park or the ride. I would encourage others to wait until there is some official information about the incident before making any assumptions about what may or may not have happened.

The information about an accident at Silver Dollar City is incorrect. There was no fatality or ride related accidents of any nature today at Silver Dollar City. There was a non-ride medical issue at Outlwaw Run that required the attention of the First Aid department. The station area was cleared simply to allow First Aid team the space and privacy needed to address the situation. We hope this clears up any speculation or rumors.

Silver Dollar City

Social Media Dept.

I was at SDC last week and rode Outlaw Run again. WOW is this thing flying! A couple months of break-in and the summer heat are really doing wonders for the ride. The park wanted us to film a POV now that the trees are filled in. For speed comparison, watch the old and new POVs we shot side-by-side. The new POV finishes seconds earlier than the old one. Check it out!

New POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEyaPCT6_GM

Old POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DZ_Fr0kjHQ

The ride looks so nice with the trees grown in!

^Its about a few seconds faster, not much of a difference I think its because the camera is placed closer to the track on the newer one. It really does look nice with those trees filled in! It really gives it that in the forest feel..

^Its about a few seconds faster, not much of a difference I think its because the camera is placed closer to the track on the newer one. It really does look nice with those trees filled in! It really gives it that in the forest feel..

Camera placement doesn't make a difference in the duration of a POV. I agree, the trees make the ride even more amazing, especially visually. Cresting the lift to reveal a fogged forest of trees is just awe inspiring. On a ride with a shorter time duration like Outlaw Run, a few seconds can make an insane difference in the ride. If you've ridden it already, especially around the time of media day, I highly recommend giving the ride a 2nd run during a hot summer day. It is COOKING! I've never been on a more fun/intense/visually appealing ride in my life! It is totally worth a revisit. If it wasn't my number one all time coaster already, hot summer rides sealed the deal.

^Now that I think about it a few seconds means quite a bit more speed since its so short. But putting the camera closer to the track does give the illusion of moving faster because the frame of reference (track) is closer. Either way this ride looks omfg crazy and I wish I had some excuse to head out there this year. Any good tech schools near SDC?

My family will be at SDC next month for 2 days and I was curious if they have a child swap program like some of the other parks do for the rides our 2 boys won't want to ride?

No, there is unfortunately no such program. Trailblazer Pass is your only option if you're not wanting to wait. However, except for Outlaw Run and Wildfire, everything is pretty kid-friendly. There are three family coasters; Powder Keg and Thunderation have a 42" min height when riding with a parent, and Fire in the Hole's minimum is 36" with a parent. Wildfire has excellent operations, and the queue can be out the front door and still take under an hour, even on Saturdays in the summer. So Outlaw Run's really going to be your only long wait, and this year there's just no getting around that.