TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb Alvey's "World's Coolest Coasters" Travel Channel Blog

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An enjoyable read with particularly excellent timing. I've been planning, scheduling and booking my summer 2013 coaster trip the last few days. Robb, your article was enough to make me lockdown the side trek to Knoebels I'd been seesawing about. Thank you.

An enjoyable read with particularly excellent timing. I've been planning, scheduling and booking my summer 2013 coaster trip the last few days. Robb, your article was enough to make me lockdown the side trek to Knoebels I'd been seesawing about. Thank you.

You can not possibly regret a trip to Knoebels.

It's great to see awesome roller coasters that aren't part of the GOTTA GO FAST YOLO LOOPDEELOOP stereotype getting some more praise and exposure.

I've been trying to get myself there for years. Now that I've finally booked it I think I'm actually more excited about hitting Knoebels than I've been for many of the big parks.

A little surprised to see Kumba on the list mainly because of the sheer number of rides you have to choose from, but it's absolutely a defensible pick...I have it at #8 myself behind I305, El Toro, SkyRush, Millennium Force, Storm Runner, Phoenix, and Kingda Ka.

I can picture how a Travel Channel list would have looked without Robb's involvement. Probably something like this:

1. Hulk

2. Millennium Force

3. X2

4. Kingda Ka

5. Aftershock

6. Medusa (SFDK)

7. Steel Dragon 2000

8. Batman: The Ride (backwards)

9. Saw: The Ride

10. Lightning Racer

11. Diamondback

12. Intimidator (Carrowinds)

13. TH13TEEN

14. Bizarro (SFNE)

15. El Toro

I've been trying to get myself there for years. Now that I've finally booked it I think I'm actually more excited about hitting Knoebels than I've been for many of the big parks.

That reminded me to actually call and book my campsite for this summer. Just talking to their staff on the phone to book a site leaves me grinning for hours.

I can picture how a Travel Channel list would have looked without Robb's involvement. Probably something like this:

1. Hulk

2. Millennium Force

3. X2

4. Kingda Ka

5. Aftershock

6. Medusa (SFDK)

7. Steel Dragon 2000

10. Lightning Racer

11. Diamondback

13. TH13TEEN

14. Bizarro (SFNE)

15. El Toro

Yeah, it's good to see an article written by someone who understands the subject rather than a reporter who has been given a brief and just goes by stats!!

It's good to see a list that, for once, deviates from the "usual suspects" that win Golden Ticket awards, too. Not that I have anything against those awards (I vote in them myself), but the same rides show up in them every year.

Edited by cfc

Pretty cool article, there's definatly a lot of coasters on that list I would love to ride someday. I agree about Kumba, it's a great ride that still delivers after twenty years of service. Busch Gardens is my home park and I feel blessed to have some of the best coasters on the planet all located in one park.

Sorry about my comment earlier. I just might have been expecting one of my home park rides to be on the list (Cedar Point). And of course, I'm wishing for some crazier coasters in the US (why does Aisa get half of the good woodies now? Besides El Toro, of course, but they have T Express, Dauling Dragons, the one at Knight Valley, and whatever the one was with the insane double-down. In comparison, my favorite woodies are probably Blue Streak or Georgia Cyclone.)

1. Hulk

2. Millennium Force

3. X2

4. Kingda Ka

5. Aftershock

6. Medusa (SFDK)

7. Steel Dragon 2000

10. Lightning Racer

11. Diamondback

13. TH13TEEN

14. Bizarro (SFNE)

15. El Toro

That is a terrifyingly accurate to what they'd probably do. The worst I've seen is a "Top 10 Best Coasters" list that simply listed the 10 tallest coasters in the world. Great research there

A book I got called "Thrill Rides" ranked coasters.

Son of Beast was on there, and of course, so were Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka.

Although they did list Boulder Dash, Cyclone, and other good ones as well.

No Apollo's Chariot or B and M hyper? Nonetheless I think the list is great,besides the fact that I don't have a single credit of those 16.

While the B&M hypers are good, enjoyable rides, I wouldn't say they were the "coolest" rides ever.

Great list Robb! I love how you have pretty much been on every ''major'' coaster. And those knock-offs...and you can stack them up against each other.

Some great rides on that list

What were your thoughts on Skyrush pre-pussed out?

Sorry about my comment earlier. I just might have been expecting one of my home park rides to be on the list (Cedar Point). And of course, I'm wishing for some crazier coasters in the US (why does Aisa get half of the good woodies now? Besides El Toro, of course, but they have T Express, Dauling Dragons, the one at Knight Valley, and whatever the one was with the insane double-down. In comparison, my favorite woodies are probably Blue Streak or Georgia Cyclone.)

Cedar Point has a ton of coasters but they are more about quantity over quality. The more parks you get to(judging by your top two woodies it is not very many) the more you will realize this.

Looks like I will be adding a few of these coasters to my list in the next couple of years.