TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I'm sure it's still an incredible ride, but I'm a little bummed to hear that it is not quite as intense as last season, since I'm visiting next month.

When I go on coaster trips, I generally plan on getting a few bumps and bruises now and then. I'm also not surprised if I have a few muscle aches afterwards. It's all part of the hobby.

I'm hoping its not too tame because I have to say last years first ride on it was AMAZING. I have never been so "OMG this thing is going to throw me out of my seat" ever which I loved. When my daughter rode it (she isn't a huge coaster fan ) she just screamed "DADDY DADDY" the whole time. I rode it 5 times that day because I knew the following year it would be tamed down due to people complaining. "I'll always have SKYRUSH 2012"

I knew going to the park that day that the ride was going to be different. I knew that a lot of the general public found the ride to be too much for them, but all of my family and friends that went on the ride last season said it was the best ride they've ever been on (yet again, we're avid theme park visitors). Skyrush now seems much more GP friendly in my mind. It still scares the crap out of me every time it goes up the hill, but does adapt more so that more people are willing to ride I think. I can agree with Robb when he says that America isn't ready for an Intamin Mega-Lite because the public wouldn't be ready to ride something like that.

I did find that it was a little slow in the morning. But I'm pretty sure the 58 degree temperature had something to do with that... Later in the day it was flying!

I rode when it was around mid-60's so maybe my opinion of the ride is a bit biased. I'll have to go back when it's a hot day with a full train to see how I really feel about it.

I also forgot to mention that when the train hits the brake run and then stops in front of the station, the lap bars unlock. You hear the pneumatics make their hissing noise and then the whole "CLUNK" as all the lap bars unlock a bit to give you some breathing room. The whole train went "Thank god!" while my brother and I were surprised to see this addition. The pain was and is bearable, but this is just a good add-on to please the GP.

Don't get my wrong, Skyrush is a great ride. It's the best megacoaster I have ever ridden for multiple reasons. But, it's just been altered a bit to adapt for the GP to enjoy more than they did last year. Hopefully they'll make it a bit more intense as the season goes on, and trips back to the park in the future will be the test!

Skyrush is slower. The lift is great and even though it slows down at the top, it doesn't feel that way when you're on the ride. But, I did notice you don't feel thrown over like you did last season, but instead feel like you're falling back down to Earth. The airtime hills, although still full of floater airtime, weren't as "HOLY S**T!!!" as they were last season, and the ride even felt slower in my opinion. When I got off of Skyrush, I didn't feel the urge to jump back in line like I did last season, but instead opted to go and ride the skyride.

And this is EXACTLY what happens when a bunch of pussies complain about a ride.

Seriously, I really hope an Intamin Mega-Lite is NEVER built in America because we are not the audience for this kind of ride.

We all complained for years how we didn't have one of these awesome looking intense airtime filled Intamin creations, and then we get one with even MORE airtime, and people complain about it.

IMO, no one should be bitching about the ride being slower because it's EXACTLY what all the pansies that went to Hersheypark and bitched about the ride get.

Let this be a lesson to all of you...

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw footage of skyrush from this season and it just makes me really angry. I mean, last year I heard all these amazing skyrush reviews of how intense and insanely filled with airtime this ride is. This year I mange to go to the US JUST to go to theme parks (one of them being Hershey) as I'd been saving for quite a while. And one of the rides I was looking forward to the most was skyrush and this is what happens. Ok, I know it won't be a massive difference but I still wanted to experience it at 100% with the most possible intensity and airtime and I can't say that i didn't see this coming due to all those complaints. In fact, when I was thinking of ways to slow it down a bit the lift hill was the first thing that came to mind.

Well, I still expect it to be great, though.

The question is whether this is because of the forces and pressure that the wheels and axles were put under. If they slowed it down so there wouldn't be as much stress on the train... well, I can see that as a good reason for a slow down. But if it was changed because of complaints, then that's ridiculous. It was built to be a ridiculous, airtime-filled experience that kicked the crap out of you.

I guess that we enthusiasts forget that we're in the minority. John and Jane G.P. go to an amusement park to have a fun day with the family. When they get on a ride, they expect it to be fun, fast, and comfortable. They won't be expecting a ride that throws you around, catapults you out of your seat, and in their mind, "hurts". Would the G.P. rather ride Great Bear or Skyrush after that experience? If I was them, I'd probably choose Great Bear.

Ideally (and in my mind), I seriously hope that Hershey and Intamin work together to get some better restraints for the ride. While I didn't really experience pain, I can't deny that they're not the greatest or most comfortable bars possible. They DO tighten down during the ride and really dig into your thighs. If better restraints are designed and put on the ride that solve the "pain" problem, then maybe it could go back to full speed. Who knows, though. I'm still hoping that the slow down at the top is just for the beginning of the season.

The question is whether this is because of the forces and pressure that the wheels and axles were put under. If they slowed it down so there wouldn't be as much stress on the train... well, I can see that as a good reason for a slow down. But if it was changed because of complaints, then that's ridiculous. It was built to be a ridiculous, airtime-filled experience that kicked the crap out of you.

I think the answer here is pretty obvious.

^^Ya it could just be for beginning of the year or it may not. Definitley will keep you guys in the loop the entire season since i go just about every week or so.

^And i am just blown away that the GP is such babies(America is turning "soft"). Like the warning signs say "This ride produces extreme positive and negative G-Forces" so isnt that a cue for people to leave if they cant handle it? They should make the ride back to 100% and put up a new sign that says "If your a giant puss, then head on over to the Ferris Wheel!"

I also rode Skyrush yesterday, while I can say the slowed down lift hill is very disappointing. But I can also say that for some reason I enjoyed it much more on this visit. Maybe its because the ride ops forgot to check my restraint and I was able to keep it very loose

I also rode Skyrush yesterday, while I can say the slowed down lift hill is very disappointing. But I can also say that for some reason I enjoyed it much more on this visit. Maybe its because the ride ops forgot to check my restraint and I was able to keep it very loose

They always forget. Its all kids just trying to make it through a summer job.

The ride still kicks A$$, I just rode it yesterday. I even greyed out once! And I never do that on rides!

Was it on the turn after the first airtime hill? If so i call that the gray corner

As i always grey out after like 3 rides in 1 day or if I'm thirsty/hungry. I-305 took the first ride for me to grey out and 2nd to sort of black out

Was it on the turn after the first airtime hill? If so i call that the gray corner

As i always grey out after like 3 rides in 1 day...

I'm seeing stars on every single ride when I hit halfway through that turn. It's scary yet amazing at the same time, and the "gray corner" fits!

Anyone know how busy it will be at the park the first week of June?

The ride's just as good as always. First thing in the morning it was a little gentle (though it was no B&M hyper - this thing could never be that weak), but by the time we got back around at like 2pm it was just as good as before. Promise. The slight release of the lap bars on the brake run is a fantastic addition too, seriously improves the long wait out there while the other train loads.

^And i am just blown away that the GP is such babies(America is turning "soft"). Like the warning signs say "This ride produces extreme positive and negative G-Forces" so isnt that a cue for people to leave if they cant handle it? They should make the ride back to 100% and put up a new sign that says "If your a giant puss, then head on over to the Ferris Wheel!"

To be fair, Americans love their stuff "X-treme, gimmicky, YOLO", but stuff that causes them pain is a turn-off to them. I honestly wouldn't want my legs to lose circulation on a ride either.

I feel as though when ride signs state something along the lines of "g-forces", the GP barely even know what that means. To them they think of it as "getting pressed in your seat" and "getting tossed out of your seat"... reading "Positive and negative g-forces" on a sign doesn't register in most of their brains, but the park isn't going to put something as moronic and uneducated as that on their signs... but then again, this is America. Rides getting "tamed down" because of complaints of rider discomfort is nothing new in the states. El Toro (with the slowed down lift as well), Goliath (SFMM), i305, the list goes on.

Trims or lifts that reduce speed at the top are the bane of all enthusiasts existence because most/all of us want to ride the coaster in its original unedited, untamed form. But we are only a tiny fraction of a population compared the GP. Their voice gets more say than ours.

Although, taming down or re-profiling a ride is sometimes the parks decision as well. Could be as a way to reduce maintenance costs or to fix a design flaw. It's difficult to tell in high intensity attractions that not only puts stress on its riders, but also more wear & tear on the ride system as well

Rides getting "tamed down" because of complaints of rider discomfort is nothing new in the states. El Toro (with the slowed down lift as well), Goliath (SFMM), i305, the list goes on.

Two out of the three roller coasters you mentioned though were slowed down to help with maintenance, as far as everyone knows. Excluding Goliath, none of the ones on your list are any worse now than they were before - Skyrush included. It's no more comfortable now because of the slowed lift, only slightly so because of the softer restraints. The same story goes for I305, which is no less blackout-inducing now than before, and El Toro, which is still balls-to-the-wall the entire time you're riding (and still has that crossover hill to boot).

Trims or lifts that reduce speed at the top are the bane of all enthusiasts existence because most/all of us want to ride the coaster in its original unedited, untamed form. But we are only a tiny fraction of a population compared the GP. Their voice gets more say than ours.

Probably because tiny little changes shouldn't matter but the enthusiast population makes a big deal about them, because apparently we all seem to believe our small fraction of parkgoers' need for a ride that goes 0.1mph faster is more important than the park being able to operate a ride safely and consistently.

I for one truly believe it was an adjustment for costs or maintenance. Imagine the cost they save over the course of the year and the ride rides the same. As a business it seems right. But who am i to be an expert on energy used, this is the last time i will post about this issue unless it changes, seems like a broken record of posts complaining. It is what it is, and Skyrush still hauls A$$ like it did before

My husband has to go to Philadelphia on Sunday, and has surprised me with a ticket to Hershey!

Does anyone want to join me so I do not have to experience HP by myself?

I will represent ClubTPR by wearing my shirt, so I should be easy to spot.

Sooo now that the season is under way:

Has there been any difference in Skyrush?

Its not like El Toro that has that turn before the drop, part of Skyrush's thrill was that speed right into the drop.

If they neutered this ride too...