TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

General Manager John H. posted on twitter today "Millennium Force getting a little touch up before the big day on May 11."

I just wonder if the track is finally finished? It looked terrible last season - partially painted. Towards the end of the season the newly painted track was already loosing the blue paint job.

mf.thumb.jpg.eeffb6433fdc9736f46c45c10ff2559a.jpg

Lots of work going on...

^Hopefully its finished!

Is it just me or do Intamin coasters seem to lose their paint quick? Now when i say quick i mean like 5 or 6 years

Eh, it varies like exposure and weather, but If I remember correctly, I believe they powdercoat their track and supports at the factory. The stuff they use must not be very UV resistant as it does have tendency to fade and break down after a few seasons, especially when exposed like Wicked Twister and Top Thrill Dragster. Comes off as a powdery substance if touched. Also could be a factor is that they only coat the track in a thin coat with an air gun, whereas using a paint roller, it goes on thicker. The heavy duty paint that they painted Raptor and Mantis back in 2005 has held up pretty well. Usually repaints last much longer than the original factory paint.

I do like the fact that they went with white supports on Gatekeeper. Makes the coaster look much nicer on the beach and the paint fade won't be noticeable.

^ Nasty birds, I hate what they do to Raptor (one really stupid one built its nest up there once), I can see why Cedar Point goes with white now because the poop on Maverick isn't as noticeable as Raptors. Also I'm I correct in saying that Gatekeeper has no trims, if it is true then Gatekeeper will probably be one of the better newer B&Ms.

I know your pain Tony. Want to shoot outside for a photography project, but all I'm seeing is rain in the forecast for the rest of the week. Hoping with the couple more weeks I have before its due, the weather will clear up!

Man, a little over a month before the park opens. Can't believe it's almost time for the season to start back up yet! Looking forward to quite a few things this summer, with Gatekeeper being the big one!

^Hopefully its finished!

Is it just me or do Intamin coasters seem to lose their paint quick? Now when i say quick i mean like 5 or 6 years

Eh, it varies like exposure and weather, but If I remember correctly, I believe they powdercoat their track and supports at the factory. The stuff they use must not be very UV resistant as it does have tendency to fade and break down after a few seasons, especially when exposed like Wicked Twister and Top Thrill Dragster. Comes off as a powdery substance if touched. Also could be a factor is that they only coat the track in a thin coat with an air gun, whereas using a paint roller, it goes on thicker. The heavy duty paint that they painted Raptor and Mantis back in 2005 has held up pretty well. Usually repaints last much longer than the original factory paint.

I do like the fact that they went with white supports on Gatekeeper. Makes the coaster look much nicer on the beach and the paint fade won't be noticeable.

I'm pretty sure Stakotra just paints the Track and Uprights. Working on Lagoon's Fire Dragon and Wild Mouse, where you have to physically push and pull the transfer tracks, the paint comes off as kinda powdery on your hands.

-Sid

^ When are you going in May?

12th.

Making a big trip of it too: Kennywood, Waldameer, (because when else will I be in Western PA with free time?) and maybe seeing some friends in Cincy...and getting Kings Island and Holiday World crossed off the list