TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Disney has announced the transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs for the next few years to be completed in 2016!

Walt Disney World Resort today announced the multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, a unique destination that will treat guests to significantly more shopping, dining and entertainment amid beautiful open-air promenades, meandering springs and waterfront charm.

Disney Springs will feature an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands. From boutique shops to unique flagship anchor stores, guests will be able to explore a variety of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences and discover options unlike any other currently available in Central Florida.

“Disney Springs will be a timeless, vibrant place where Walt Disney World guests and local residents can relax, shop, dine and be entertained in an imaginative setting where they’ll instantly feel at home,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “Featuring distinctive brands, world-class restaurants and unforgettable entertainment, Disney Springs will be brought to life with the same focus on storytelling and attention to detail that goes into our theme parks, resorts and cruise ships, resulting in a welcoming space that only Disney could create.”

Disney Springs will double the number of shops, restaurants and other venues for guests to explore, resulting in more than 150 establishments. In addition, Staggs noted, Central Florida stands to benefit from the expansion with more jobs, tax revenues and business opportunities.

Drawing inspiration from Florida’s waterfront towns and natural beauty, Disney Springs will include four outdoor neighborhoods interconnected by a flowing spring and vibrant lakefront. In addition to a new gateway with a signature water tower and grand entry, the destination will feature:

• The Town Center, which offers a sophisticated mix of shopping and dining along with a promenade where guests can relax, refresh and reconnect.
  • A colorful and thriving commercial district called The Landing with inspired dining and beautiful waterfront views.
  • The family-friendly Marketplace that will continue to delight guests of all ages by combining new experiences, such as an over-the-water pedestrian causeway, along with classic Disney favorites, including an expanded World of Disney store.
  • A West Side that provides an exuberant atmosphere with lively entertainment, along with a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and an overlook to the activity below.

Collectively, these efforts will not only have an impact within Walt Disney World, but will also have an economic ripple effect on Central Florida. The project will create an estimated 1,200 construction jobs and nearly 4,000 operational roles.

Disney will share more details on specific experiences coming to Disney Springs in the future. Construction is slated to begin next month with new areas opening in phases. Disney Springs is expected to be complete in 2016.

DS-Marketplace-Causeway.thumb.jpg.25dbd820870e6cbc21b77cb5557a01f7.jpg

As part of Disney Springs, the family-friendly Marketplace (as shown in this conceptual rendering) will continue to delight guests of all ages and include new experiences, such as an over-the-water pedestrian causeway.

DS-Model-Nighttime.thumb.jpg.cc1f4e645b795a16c2b2640a7cb0c419.jpg

Downtown Disney is undergoing a multi-year transformation, representing the largest expansion in its history. The renamed Disney Springs (as shown in this conceptual model) will double the number of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences, and feature an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands.

DS-Town-Center-and-Landing.thumb.jpg.4f400f57c23835c29f1c55fa91d4242f.jpg

With a flowing spring as a centerpiece, Disney Springs will feature four outdoor neighborhoods including the two shown in an artist's conceptual rendering. The Town Center (lower portion of the image) will offer one-of-a-kind shopping and dining experiences along a promenade while The Landing (upper portion of the image) will include inspired dining and beautiful waterfront views.

DS-Waterfront.thumb.jpg.a1ba83c2bd9f63c60c04e69dea2ae8a9.jpg

Along with an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands, Disney Springs (as shown in this conceptual rendering) will feature a new gateway with a signature water tower and grand entry.

DS-Water-Tower-and-Entrance.thumb.jpg.f8a7799d806993b27511732759389d0d.jpg

Inviting and infused with character, Disney Springs will feature four outdoor neighborhoods including The Landing (as shown in this conceptual rendering) which offers inspired dining, retail and beautiful waterfront views.

DS-West-Side-Elevated-Areas.thumb.jpg.bba45243101a484141cd94bc4438baa0.jpg

Disney Springs will blend the familiar with the unexpected throughout its four outdoor neighborhoods including the West Side (as shown in this conceptual rendering) which will provide an exuberant atmosphere with lively entertainment, along with a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and an overlook to the activity below.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I remember seeing some plans for this project on a different site (or maybe previously in this thread) that showed a new off-ramp from I-4 leading directly into the new parking lot for this facility. I hope that is part of the plan because my only complaint about Downtown Disney currently is that during busy times traffic getting in and out of there can be a real pain, especially around the Holidays.

It's sooooo obvious that Walt Disney World is "Declining by Degrees!"

If only they hadn't closed the Adventurers Club . . .

Good to hear! Downtown Disney has been making some nice improvements lately (such as Splitsville and the T-Rex Cafe), and I like what I'm seeing here.

As someone who used to be the parking manager at DTD I have to say I'm most excited about the parking garages! Someone mentioned a dedicated ramp... I'm not sure it is needed but rather better signage pushing people to the Epcot/DTD exit vs the 535 exit - that exit can handle the traffic much better. Before I left we were planning a test with eletronic signs on I4 to help shift that traffic - not sure if that ever happened.

And I can't wait to see pictures of The Adventurer's Club getting knocked down.

I will spit on the tears of the people protesting this...

I think they should replace it with the world's largest Five Guys.

Maybe I'm the only one who noticed this but.... I think the Adventurer's Club fans ruined the experience. I went twice (both were during final year) and nearly every punchline was ruined by fans eager to chime in the line themselves and laugh. I tried it a second time and the same thing!

^Agree, I went several times in the last couple of years it was opened and I always had a good time but it wasn't nearly as amazing as some people made it out to be. There was always a weird vibe between the cast member guests who were obviously regulars to the place and very obsessive about the experience, and the average tourists who just stumbled in on their vacation and really had no idea what was going on.

I visited the club for a private party once as part of a conference. Although I thought the place itself looked great, I wa bored with the show part of it after about an hour (food wasn't all that hot, either)--and this was in the late 1990s, which I think was the joint's heyday.

But, as I said, it was a very well themed facility.

I'm so excited to see all the new additions to Downtown Disney! They've really done some good things with the area lately, and I'm glad to see it moving forward. I would like to see DisneyQuest get an upgrade. We visited there on our last visit and it is so incredibly dated.

I remember the Adventure's Club back from when I saw it in 1991. Never felt the urge to return to it. I also enjoyed just mostly walking around and looking at the decor.

When they first built DCA, I always though that the Paradise Pier would have made a great addition to DD. Capture the amusement pier concept for the DD shopping district.

The new direction sounds pleasant enough, and the concept art is quite nice of Disney Springs. Hopefully the springs have a bit of a show element to them at night.

I was just reading some other forums and people are being internet people and acting like Disney Springs is the worst news ever. I don't get it. This expansion addresses every problem Downtown Disney has. I do think that they are still mad Adventurers Club is closed. People ask me why I go to those sites but I enjoy their bitterness. Even if just one of the parking garages gets built and nothing else does, it would still be really nice. Finding parking sucks and the buses routes through Downtown Disney has always been weird. Also, Downtown Disney needs bike rickshaws.