Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 127: Havana Nights at The Edison details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:15 am

Disney has announced the transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs for the next few years to be completed in 2016!

Walt Disney World Resort today announced the multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, a unique destination that will treat guests to significantly more shopping, dining and entertainment amid beautiful open-air promenades, meandering springs and waterfront charm.

Disney Springs will feature an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands. From boutique shops to unique flagship anchor stores, guests will be able to explore a variety of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences and discover options unlike any other currently available in Central Florida.

“Disney Springs will be a timeless, vibrant place where Walt Disney World guests and local residents can relax, shop, dine and be entertained in an imaginative setting where they’ll instantly feel at home,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “Featuring distinctive brands, world-class restaurants and unforgettable entertainment, Disney Springs will be brought to life with the same focus on storytelling and attention to detail that goes into our theme parks, resorts and cruise ships, resulting in a welcoming space that only Disney could create.”

Disney Springs will double the number of shops, restaurants and other venues for guests to explore, resulting in more than 150 establishments. In addition, Staggs noted, Central Florida stands to benefit from the expansion with more jobs, tax revenues and business opportunities.

Drawing inspiration from Florida’s waterfront towns and natural beauty, Disney Springs will include four outdoor neighborhoods interconnected by a flowing spring and vibrant lakefront. In addition to a new gateway with a signature water tower and grand entry, the destination will feature:

• The Town Center, which offers a sophisticated mix of shopping and dining along with a promenade where guests can relax, refresh and reconnect.
  • A colorful and thriving commercial district called The Landing with inspired dining and beautiful waterfront views.
  • The family-friendly Marketplace that will continue to delight guests of all ages by combining new experiences, such as an over-the-water pedestrian causeway, along with classic Disney favorites, including an expanded World of Disney store.
  • A West Side that provides an exuberant atmosphere with lively entertainment, along with a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and an overlook to the activity below.
Collectively, these efforts will not only have an impact within Walt Disney World, but will also have an economic ripple effect on Central Florida. The project will create an estimated 1,200 construction jobs and nearly 4,000 operational roles.

Disney will share more details on specific experiences coming to Disney Springs in the future. Construction is slated to begin next month with new areas opening in phases. Disney Springs is expected to be complete in 2016.
DS-Marketplace-Causeway.jpg
As part of Disney Springs, the family-friendly Marketplace (as shown in this conceptual rendering) will continue to delight guests of all ages and include new experiences, such as an over-the-water pedestrian causeway.
DS-Model-Nighttime.jpg
Downtown Disney is undergoing a multi-year transformation, representing the largest expansion in its history. The renamed Disney Springs (as shown in this conceptual model) will double the number of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences, and feature an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands.
DS-Town-Center-and-Landing.jpg
With a flowing spring as a centerpiece, Disney Springs will feature four outdoor neighborhoods including the two shown in an artist's conceptual rendering. The Town Center (lower portion of the image) will offer one-of-a-kind shopping and dining experiences along a promenade while The Landing (upper portion of the image) will include inspired dining and beautiful waterfront views.
DS-Waterfront.jpg
Along with an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands, Disney Springs (as shown in this conceptual rendering) will feature a new gateway with a signature water tower and grand entry.
DS-Water-Tower-and-Entrance.jpg
Inviting and infused with character, Disney Springs will feature four outdoor neighborhoods including The Landing (as shown in this conceptual rendering) which offers inspired dining, retail and beautiful waterfront views.
DS-West-Side-Elevated-Areas.jpg
Disney Springs will blend the familiar with the unexpected throughout its four outdoor neighborhoods including the West Side (as shown in this conceptual rendering) which will provide an exuberant atmosphere with lively entertainment, along with a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and an overlook to the activity below.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 am

Not that Downtown Disney needed to be upgraded in the first place but this whole project looks fantastic! Can't wait to hear more details about specific restaurants and shops etc.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:25 am

I like it! For so long it seemed they were just confused as to what this area should be, but judging from the press release and the artwork, I'd say they finally have it dialed in.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 am

It's sooooo obvious that Walt Disney World is "Declining by Degrees!" :lol: :lmao: :lol:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 am

I remember seeing some plans for this project on a different site (or maybe previously in this thread) that showed a new off-ramp from I-4 leading directly into the new parking lot for this facility. I hope that is part of the plan because my only complaint about Downtown Disney currently is that during busy times traffic getting in and out of there can be a real pain, especially around the Holidays.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 am

robbalvey wrote:It's sooooo obvious that Walt Disney World is "Declining by Degrees!" :lol: :lmao: :lol:

If only they hadn't closed the Adventurers Club . . . ;)

Good to hear! Downtown Disney has been making some nice improvements lately (such as Splitsville and the T-Rex Cafe), and I like what I'm seeing here.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:40 am

robbalvey wrote:It's sooooo obvious that Walt Disney World is "Declining by Degrees!" :lol: :lmao: :lol:

Should've just left it Homogenizing by Monotony!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby AndrewRnR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 am

As someone who used to be the parking manager at DTD I have to say I'm most excited about the parking garages! Someone mentioned a dedicated ramp... I'm not sure it is needed but rather better signage pushing people to the Epcot/DTD exit vs the 535 exit - that exit can handle the traffic much better. Before I left we were planning a test with eletronic signs on I4 to help shift that traffic - not sure if that ever happened.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 am

Can't wait for this! I already have a new found appreciation for DTD with all the new offerings and this will just up that even more.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am

This whole thing is worthless unless Adventurer's Club is coming back.

:butt:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!