Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

P. 126 - Trespasser dies at park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Mt Olympus announces: HADES 360

Postby JJLehto » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Did always find Hades station area pretty odd. Starts really high and has the long intro section, but the brakes are even higher and there's that small drop from them into the station. Reminds me of RCT when I screwed up and made craziness to make it work haha
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Moose wrote:If the operations were anything like the last time TPR was there, you'd be lucky if the ride op got off their cell phone and released the restraints by then.

(I'm only partially joking)

You're actually understating it. You forgot they had to get off their cell phones, and finish getting a date with the other ride op, as well as comb their hair! ;)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby biker7766 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Yet another construction update, looks as though the overbanked turn supports are ready for track!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

From Mt. Olympus Facebook.
TPR's Queue Line Enthusiast!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:08 am

New picture update

Looks like they are switching to steel cross braces for the inversion instead of wooden cross braces for extra strength. Notice how the cross braces seem to switch back to wood during the exit of the inversion. Yet they will keep all the layers of the track wood, not replace the last two layers like RMC. This is getting interesting because I was curious how GG was going to pull this off.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 am

I think this could end up being the sleeper hit of this coming season because of the re-tracking alone- at least until the train has had enough time to start destroying it again. Adding an inversion on top of that was almost unnecessary, but it's the "it" thing to do.
Been you to have any spike, man?

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 am

Hades was notorious for having roll-back problems on that hill, so eliminating it will help prevent the issue.

The roll is much lower to the ground than the hill was.
Last edited by SoCalCoasters on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:27 am.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am

Ed Farmer wrote:I think this could end up being the sleeper hit of this coming season because of the re-tracking alone- at least until the train has had enough time to start destroying it again. Adding an inversion on top of that was almost unnecessary, but it's the "it" thing to do.

I agree, and I hope the Timberliners don't end up destroying the track as much as PTCs. Lets face it though, no matter what king of trains you have the parks needs to maintain the ride. If they don't then all of this is in vain. I'm particularly hoping the retrack the bottom of the first drop and the stentch in the tunnel as it was pretty rough. Even moreso, they need to re-track the whole turnaround area thats inside the park on the return run. That part of the ride is pure HELL.

P.S. more pictures from the Mount Olympus facebook
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby LoneRider92 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:34 pm

I understand that a majority of people on here really don't care for Mt. Olympus or Hades over the past few years (and I know that the park could be VASTLY improved), but I for one am excited to give Hades a spin this summer. It's still one of my all-time favorite rides and with the tweaking it's receiving now it might be even better. Worst case scenario is that the rest of the ride is still a bit of a spine-buster; hopefully the Timberliners and (maybe) some TLC towards the ending of the ride could boost the ride back up to its full potential, but who knows.

And, since I care about the great people on this site, I will gladly volunteer to test the ride for TPR and see if it checks out. ;) Just curious, would anyone representing TPR make the trip up and cover the ride like with NTAG or X-Flight or any other new ride/revamp? I would love to be part of it. =)
I smell like fresh cut spring flowers spewn across a babbling brook with a hint of lemon. |:D

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Lareson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Timberliners have a hinged suspension system for the seats so it should help smooth out any small bumps and vibrations. Also with having each wheel bogie being able to turn on their own, it should also help smooth the ride out around turns and banks. No more skidding or "PTC shuffle," should just glide around the track like a steel coaster would. There will still be a roughness factor to it due to steel wheels on steel track, but nothing like it would be on a PTC train.

These newer generation trains haven't been tested yet on a track that operated previously with PTCs as they didn't have enough time last off-season on Voyage to get them tested. So far it's only been running on newly built track that hasn't had a PTC come through and destroy it. To think though, if Timberliners can handle Hades' somewhat poorly maintained track, it can for sure run on Voyage's highly maintained track.
The man may keep me down but opinions are my own.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:47 pm

More pics from Mount Olympus facebook:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!