TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

^ That was a wonderful choice for our last night at HKDL!

I had already seen the dinner selections with a bit of a

walk through 'tour', and took in the available times to

eat there. And nothing worked for what I wanted to do

with my time there. Until the Farewell Dinner was announced.

And the breakfast setup was really nice, too! And varied as

much as dinner was.

Would definitely do it again, with or without TPR, lol!

• 3 weeks later...

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/02/27/hong-kongs-disneyland-to-get-marvel-superheroes/?mod=google_news_blog

Famed Marvel Comics superheroes like Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four will soon call a part of Hong Kong Disneyland home, when the theme park opens an area dedicated to the comic-book stars.

On Wednesday, Hong Kong Financial Secretary John Tsang said the theme park, which is 52%-owned by the city’s government, will add an area featuring “Marvel heroes” as part of the resort’s expansion program.

Hong Kong Disneyland, the smallest of Walt Disney Co. DIS +0.58%’s parks worldwide, last week reported its first annual profit since its 2005 opening. The park has struggled over the years to boost attendance from its key target demographic—tourists from mainland China—many who aren’t enamored enough of Disney characters to make a special trip to the park. The park has also been competing with Ocean Park, a Sea World-type marine park in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Disneyland has added several new themed “lands” over the last few years to boost its size and attractiveness.

The addition of Marvel in Hong Kong will be the first of its kind of any Disney resort, and could be a big draw for mainland Chinese tourists after the success of several Hollywood smash-hits that featured Marvel characters. Marvel superheroes could also attract older and more affluent visitors, as opposed to the younger audiences that the traditional Disney characters target.

The Marvel addition is the latest move by Disney aimed at reaping the benefits of its $4 billion acquisition in 2009 of Marvel Entertainment. In May, “The Avengers”, the first Marvel film to be released by Disney since its Marvel purchase, shattered box-office records.

Earlier, Disney said it would prioritize plans to introduce theme-park rides based on Marvel superheroes.

^^ Wow, that's fantastic news! Big Grizzly Mountain was really great, and Mystic Manor looks like it's going to be another groundbreaking ride. And now a Marvel land? It's funny how when we visited Hong Kong Disneyland during it's opening few months, we were "done" with the park in about 2 1/2 hours, and our most recent visit last year, it's easily becoming a full day, if not multi-day park with this new expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come across various information that makes me wonder if HKDL is also going to put together an attraction based on Monsters,Inc. which also 'happens' to have it's prequel (Monsters University) coming out this summer... BEFORE they get into really working on the Marvel Heroes Land, etc. It's what I read here and there. Nothing from Disney on this, right now, officially.

There were patent applications by Disney, approved for a unique omni-mover system that could cross over itself and back again. And speculation was that this was for a new Monsters ride for Shanghai Disneyland.

Now it is "reported" that SDL isn't the park getting this concept - HKDL is! And word is, it is still going to be a Monsters Inc. ride. And it could just end up located (my suggestion) where it's been considered for "Star Tours II" to go - sort of beside Buzz Lightyear?

But then again - it's two omni-mover attractions, beside each other, even if the new one is very different in design and tech. Still, Disney did/does dark rides with rails guiding the cars, practically side by side, so why not this, too?

And the location for the Marvel Land looks perfect - if that's where they're putting it.

Beyond Space Mountain.

Ooooo, rising up behind the mountain, The World of Marvel!

db_Disney_OmnimoverPatent_Monsters13.jpg.fc70b09113aa5b59b879c16890ff577d.jpg

This is one of the patents' diagrams for the ride/attraction. Neat, huh?

db_Disney_OmnimoverPatent_Monsters23.jpg.bf90dc2c05ec215f7ca50594f7ca4913.jpg

The layout route of it all. It looks like it could be a very crazy, fun ride.

HKDL-StarTours2overview2011.thumb.jpg.f48146ed42f8e013af6824dd7a2efafc.jpg

Now, instead of "Star Tours II" ~ put "Monsters, Inc." there. Just suppose...

Edited by Nrthwnd

The patent is just that, a patent. Not blueprints. The selected theme of Monsters is just a proof of concept showing how it could work in a setting. Id even go as far to say that I wouldn't even consider the rumor until there is at least some concept art or something more substantial. (Which means there was more work done and someone was interested in putting the ride somewhere...possibly)

^ Yes, of course, you're right about that.

Still ~ it's soooo nice to imagine the possibility, heh heh.

I also thought it could very well be The Attraction, put in

beside Toy Story Mania at Disney Hollywood Studios at WDW...?

It seems that Mystic Point might open in May. I've found some not very reliable links...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mystic-Manor/119188494779191

and

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/2013/03/all-about-hong-kong-disneyland-mystic.html

It says October 2013 when you type in "Mystic Point opening date" into google. I have no idea where that date came from though.