Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

P. 85: New castle and Frozen expansion details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Am so glad to find out that our little tour there
last Sept. was (probably) part of their profit. :wink:

Makes going back even more worth it.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:55 pm

That's awesome news. I really liked the park when I visited in 2008, and look forward to another visit some day.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:50 am

Great news. I'm really excited to see that park grow and to see more things like Mystic Manor!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 am

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/02/27/hong-kongs-disneyland-to-get-marvel-superheroes/?mod=google_news_blog

Famed Marvel Comics superheroes like Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four will soon call a part of Hong Kong Disneyland home, when the theme park opens an area dedicated to the comic-book stars.

On Wednesday, Hong Kong Financial Secretary John Tsang said the theme park, which is 52%-owned by the city’s government, will add an area featuring “Marvel heroes” as part of the resort’s expansion program.

Hong Kong Disneyland, the smallest of Walt Disney Co. DIS +0.58%’s parks worldwide, last week reported its first annual profit since its 2005 opening. The park has struggled over the years to boost attendance from its key target demographic—tourists from mainland China—many who aren’t enamored enough of Disney characters to make a special trip to the park. The park has also been competing with Ocean Park, a Sea World-type marine park in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Disneyland has added several new themed “lands” over the last few years to boost its size and attractiveness.

The addition of Marvel in Hong Kong will be the first of its kind of any Disney resort, and could be a big draw for mainland Chinese tourists after the success of several Hollywood smash-hits that featured Marvel characters. Marvel superheroes could also attract older and more affluent visitors, as opposed to the younger audiences that the traditional Disney characters target.

The Marvel addition is the latest move by Disney aimed at reaping the benefits of its $4 billion acquisition in 2009 of Marvel Entertainment. In May, “The Avengers”, the first Marvel film to be released by Disney since its Marvel purchase, shattered box-office records.

Earlier, Disney said it would prioritize plans to introduce theme-park rides based on Marvel superheroes.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:30 am

And so it begins.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:39 pm

^^ Wow, that's fantastic news! Big Grizzly Mountain was really great, and Mystic Manor looks like it's going to be another groundbreaking ride. And now a Marvel land? It's funny how when we visited Hong Kong Disneyland during it's opening few months, we were "done" with the park in about 2 1/2 hours, and our most recent visit last year, it's easily becoming a full day, if not multi-day park with this new expansion.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby rubysparkles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm more than a little excited. Wonder how many attractions they're planning and what land they will use to expand on.

Hopefully Mystic point will open before it gets too hot over here. The show building is gorgeous.
Twisted Colossus, I305, Skyrush, Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Maverick.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Well, let's start speculating now....

The map is from Disney.
Resize of ConceptualExpansionMap.jpg
A couple of big spots beyond the railroad track there. Hmmm....
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:45 pm

I used to read the Fantastic Four comic books when I was a kid and would love to see them featured in a Disney attraction.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Nice to see the park continuing to expand. It will be interesting to see what they have in mind for rides and such.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!