TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

They also said a little bit ago that the fresh water aquarium next door to the theater was getting torn down for a new restaurant/ eatery. Nice to see that area of the park getting a makeover, although honestly I'm not at all excited for the new show. I'd rather have seen a new 4d movie in there, oh well. On a side not would an Antarctica ride even work in San Diego considering the 30 foot height limit. The one in Orlando seems a lot taller than that???

^And the Penguin attraction has a very large unused area of land between it and its neighboring gift shop. If they were to take the area between the original attraction and the gift shop and combine it other the existing space then they'd most certainly have enough room if they chose.

I know I posted this last week, but has anyone ridden JTA since it came back from it's rehab? If so what changes have been made?

^^The councilwoman that always gave Sea World problems is no longer around. I think they could make it work.

Interesting. Now that she's gone, could SeaWorld San Diego be allowed to build another legitimate coaster (Like Orlando's Kraken or Steel Eel), or are there still some regulations applied?

Things still require the approval of both the coastal commission and the city of San Diego, but I would say that there is much more support for larger projects than before.

^^The councilwoman that always gave Sea World problems is no longer around. I think they could make it work.

Interesting. Now that she's gone, could SeaWorld San Diego be allowed to build another legitimate coaster (Like Orlando's Kraken or Steel Eel), or are there still some regulations applied?

Things still require the approval of both the coastal commission and the city of San Diego, but I would say that there is much more support for larger projects than before.

When I was there for the Media Day for TPR, I asked a few people about the council woman, and the height restriction of 30ft and how it related to other things over that height. What I got was this:

-They did not like the council woman (no surprise) but her presence or non-presence did not factor into Manta's creation and design. They simply chose not to go up, and instead went down. They didn't want to wait for the permit process to build a new ride for that season.

-The 30ft regulation has been there for a very very long time.

-Anything over 30ft simply had gone through a permit process.

-The reason for the height limit is because it limits the things that can change the skyline in the area (I think this is a silly old restriction).

-Journey to Atlantis was approved for its height waver by the local voting population (I don't remember why the public had to vote for it. Maybe the council was tied in its decision? Or maybe all things must have voter approval, but only Journey was mentioned)

But without her there, I'm sure SW will be looking at some bigger projects now that they actually have some chance of getting through.

^I think the difference between Manta and Project Reef Runner was that the latter would've had a lot more dark ride to it. I too hope that the concept comes back to see the light of day. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see a Manta popping up at SWSA within a year or two. Whether or not it'll be a flyer, launched coaster or something else I think it's too early to tell IF it ever happens.

• 3 months later...

http://seaworldparks.com/celebration

2036704058_ScreenShot2013-06-17at10_17_37PM.jpg.d5d7415088bad456842008411d5814b0.jpg

SeaWorld's 50th Celebration

Starting in 2014, we will be bring you SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration! – A celebration marked by a whole new “Sea of Surprises.” All three SeaWorld parks will be sharing the fun and delight throughout the 18-month celebration with uniquely SeaWorld moments. Starting March 21, 2014, we invite guests to join us as we celebrate with new interactive experiences, new shows and daily entertainment, more up-close animal encounters throughout the park, and a Surprise Squad treating guests with prizes every day.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-06-11/business/os-seaworld-50th-anniversary-campaign-20130611_1_seaworld-san-diego-seaworld-orlando-antarctica-themed

With its new Antarctica-themed land open, SeaWorld is turning its attention to 2014.

SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. said Tuesday it will launch a 50th anniversary celebration early next year that will include new attractions and experiences for its three SeaWorld marine parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio.

The 18-month campaign, dubbed "Sea of Surprises," will launch March 21, 2014 — 50 years after the original SeaWorld opened its gates in California.

As part of the campaign, SeaWorld said it will dispatch more "animal ambassadors" throughout the parks to give visitors surprise encounters with penguins, lemurs, flamingos and more. New "Surprise Squads" will roam around to give away prizes such as free souvenirs or behind-the-scenes experiences. And "spontaneous entertainment" will pop up at unexpected moments along park pathways.

In addition, each of the three SeaWorld parks will get new animal shows, though the company didn't disclose additional details.

The company also said it has commissioned the environmental-art group "Washed Ashore" to carve larger sea-life sculptures from ocean debris. Those sculptures will be displayed in the parks.

Further attractions may also be part of the plans.The company said SeaWorld Orlando, which just completed the largest expansion in its history with Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin, will unveil additional plans for 2014 this coming fall.

One already announced project: Explorer's Reef, at SeaWorld San Diego. A renovation of the 50-year-old marine park's main entrance, that 3-acre area will include a series of marine-life touch pools, as well as new retail and dining concepts. It will also feature what SeaWorld called a new front-gate concept, with existing ticket booths replaced by a concierge-style ticketing area with a beach theme.

That 16-month construction project has been timed to open next March, to coincide with the launch of the 50th anniversary campaign.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Screamscape is reporting that SWSD is scrapping plans on their own Antarctica themed area mainly because of the negative response on the Orlando version, here's hoping to a launched version of Indy jones ( water style) at the popular SD park. Lets be honest the Q2 results have been lackluster from Seaworld Parks, but the SD one is flourishing this season!! I think it's about the time they really start investing in this park... Any thoughts??

An over themed aquatrax would be epic no doubt, but in all honesty probably won't happen... But with the addition of Manta it proves the park isn't afraid to add cutting edge rides to their repitoir. Manta is great but I feel the park needs a real signature ride/attraction to keep the over abundance of crowds coming year after year!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...