Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Lone Star Revolution Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Postby BrandonR » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Looks like SFoT is getting sued by a man without hands for the park not letting him ride Aquaman.

Hopefully it'll get thrown out. Unfortunately I think a lot of people assume that because a lot of people ride rides with their hands up that they're not necessary to ride. But you still need to be able to support your upper body in case the forces overwhelm you, and it sounds like he wouldn't have been able to do such a thing.

And I just feel bad for the ride ops. I've had to deny people from riding in similar situations and it felt horrible. Not to mention a pretty critical decision for a part-time teenager to make in the heat of the moment.

Perhaps the park should get a very clear and unified disabled rider policy together? If I recall it's somewhat jumbled and varies widely from ride to ride which can probably improve somewhat.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Location: noun - a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Postby bottom_feeder_13 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Didn't they have the same thing happen with NTAG back around September and it never went anywhere?
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:18 am

BrandonR wrote:Looks like SFoT is getting sued by a man without hands for the park not letting him ride Aquaman.

Hopefully it'll get thrown out. Unfortunately I think a lot of people assume that because a lot of people ride rides with their hands up that they're not necessary to ride. But you still need to be able to support your upper body in case the forces overwhelm you, and it sounds like he wouldn't have been able to do such a thing.

And I just feel bad for the ride ops. I've had to deny people from riding in similar situations and it felt horrible. Not to mention a pretty critical decision for a part-time teenager to make in the heat of the moment.

Perhaps the park should get a very clear and unified disabled rider policy together? If I recall it's somewhat jumbled and varies widely from ride to ride which can probably improve somewhat.

American with disability act casese are horribly complicated. The law is voluminous and confusing on the matter. I don't really know a whole lot about what happenes from here, but Six Flags would be wise to offer up a few thousand and make this go away. From what I heard on the radio this morning, the park has since changed their policy or made it more clear. That wouldn't easily be admissible in court, but if nothing else makes me wonder if there might be some teeth to this.
--Allen

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby SFOverTexasFan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

I've read the report from this guy suing the park and I don't really see his side at all. I mean honestly if the park allowed him on the ride and something bad happened, like maybe it flips over like Roaring Rapids did years ago and seriously injures him, he still sues. It's a lose lose for the park I believe. I think the park should just pay him off and move on, Cause either way he will bad mouth the park to the news and anyone he can about Six Flags. But if the park gives him what he wants then maybe others would see that and understand Six Flags did the right thing in a situation like this.
CHECK OUT MY NEW SFOT FAN PAGE ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/SfotFans

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby jfruge » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 pm

as a former amusement park employee, I believe that you have to have unimpeded use of all of your extremities to be eligible to ride ANY water ride in the event of an emergency. I think some people with disabilities (my mother is one of them) decide to cry wolf and claim discrimination because they aren't allowed to do certain activities. I am of the opinion that if a person is told they cannot ride due to a safety hazard, they agreed to that sort of selectivity by park officials when they purchased their ticket and entered the park. In response to the question of whether Six Flags should offer compensation to this customer...they didn't take this customer's hands away, and cannot and should not be held be liable for being good stewards of his SAFETY. If SF had to compensate everyone that felt this way, they'd go bankrupt again.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 pm

I have great respect for the purpose of the ADA. The more people who can safely enjoy rides and attractions, the better. However, I believe some of the benefactors from the ADA have taken things to an extreme in some cases.

In this case, I take the most issue with the following excerpt from the lawyer, "On the other hand, the policy is under-inclusive because it says nothing about those who have hands but choose not to hold on." Before making such a statement, I think some research is necessary. Restrictions that require having hands, feet, arms, legs, etc. are put in place in the case of emergency evacuation like others have mentioned, or they exist because these extremities are needed for the restraints to function properly. This statement basically comes off to me as a poor excuse to whine and try to fault others because something didn't turn out as you wanted it to. For the case of Aquaman Splashdown, I'm not defending whether or not Six Flags violated ADA, as I'm not an expert on the ADA (I just follow their guidelines as best I can). Actually, it could be possible that Six Flags may have not made the new policy for that ride. Maybe it was a combination of their insurance provider or the State of Texas? Overall, I take issue with how the lawyer is stating the case against SFoT.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Sammy* » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Does the park test rides often during off season?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby biker7766 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 pm

From SFOT Facebook:
image.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are the new slides at Hurricane Harbor already fully constructed! Can someone confirm these are in fact the slides at SFOT? Or is this photo a promotional image?
TPR's Queue Line Enthusiast!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:57 pm

BrandonR wrote:Looks like SFoT is getting sued by a man without hands for the park not letting him ride Aquaman.

You did read that the guy can do pull ups and fire a gun? Sounds like he can hold on to me. Interesting that it wasn't until months after the incident SFOT had a policy about having a full arm.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby boardwalkbullet91507 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:24 pm

biker7766 wrote:I'm pretty sure these are the new slides at Hurricane Harbor already fully constructed! Can someone confirm these are in fact the slides at SFOT? Or is this photo a promotional image?

I don't know about the top but the bottom one is at SeaWorld San Antomio.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!