TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Superman was closed due to "weather related issues" yesterday. Everything else was open, including the Orient Express (which was closed the last few weekends). Not much progress on FT, just more footers being poured. Looks mostly the same as last week, nothing picture worthy. There was also a new wall over past the LJ building across the midway from the Bugs Bunny Tree. It was decently busy yesterday, mainly due to one train operation and late openings of rides. X2 didn't open until noon, so that made the like 30+ min. All day. Apocalypse was 45 all day because of one train operation, and boy did that line move SLOW! Riddler was probably about that wait too.

Colossus, Scream, and Gold Rusher were also on the list for one train operation (even though Scream had TWO more trains sitting on the transfer). I saw something interesting at colossus. It looks like they put a new train on the transfer track. It is black and looks like the previous trains except it doesn't have the Colossus logo on it. There was also one car without its outside chassis and just had the metal and the lap bars. In addition, there was another car (single car, just 2 rows) sitting on the right track (the one that hasn't been used for about a year. I wonder if they are trying to switch tracks or if they are trying something out.

I think what you mentioned for Colossus is all for refurbishment, more closer to coming back from refurbishment. The black train could of just been painted for its refurbishment, hence why it didn't have a logo and it looks new. I think at this point, purchasing anything new would be for nothing if this coaster is indeed next on the list for the I-Box track replacement.

This one train operations is sounding terrible... I understand that its the "off season" and that they think that not many people are going to the park, but man, they could at least start putting more trains in operation since its getting closer to March, especially if they're all ready to go.

Gotta wonder if they put a couple monitors in the stairwell and station with a animatic video of how to situate the restraints, that might help the situation?

That sounds pretty good, but I think the people jumping up and down in the seats are entertaining themselves and I don't think it's that they don't know what to do. I have never been on Riddler's Revenge, but I have been on a few other B&M stand ups. Vortex at Carowinds has really strong springs in their seats, so it is really hard to push them down and I have never seen anyone playing with the seats. But the one thing that does hold everything up is that they lock the seats and then when the attendants walk around to check the seats, they make sure everyone is sanding and with closed toe shoes on. If you don't meet either of those requirements, they have to unlock the whole row and the process starts over again. Most people don't want to stand and instead want to squat or ride without their feet touching the floor, so usually most of the rows have to be unlocked and reset. That's why it takes almost 5 minutes to dispatch a train on Vortex.

This one train operations is sounding terrible... I understand that its the "off season" and that they think that not many people are going to the park, but man, they could at least start putting more trains in operation since its getting closer to March, especially if they're all ready to go.

I'd give them a pass now, this is obviously their off-season even if they are open on weekends. Once spring break rolls around and they're running one train on Apocalypse, then we can complain as usual.

Had a great day at the park today! Got to ride the left side of Superman and they were using the far side of Tatsu's station! Crowds were light all day. Practically walked right on to X2. Lots of new footers put in for Full Throttle.

101_1814.thumb.JPG.dff2a759c0ecdb1f783c31d75c0c3aac.JPG

Footers around the tunnel

101_1815.thumb.JPG.a92e4c4f1a5b76a79580be53c77d85a0.JPG

Looking at the mess around Goldrusher

101_1818.thumb.JPG.892f6ea8997f9e58cde04c268aaf8863.JPG

It was a beautiful California day

101_1823.thumb.JPG.62d9cc69a1108665cb1c7520a5d0bfdf.JPG

Line: The Ride wasn't so busy today! Walk on!

101_1826.thumb.JPG.aa2008893898a86a716e2153a68ff6d7.JPG

Footers surrounding the tunnel

101_1831.thumb.JPG.6bc9ca7f0bbb270eb2948f12b8e11916.JPG

Looking at the YOLOcoaster from the sky

101_1855.thumb.JPG.9855eadedc613eebf7db4d320b3ee8ba.JPG

There will be a loop here someday

101_1856.thumb.JPG.917cc1627faa8f32cf0c9e0e2d4712e8.JPG

Gertrude was out and about

101_1857.thumb.JPG.5211d447c6ac40a846cfef65448f4225.JPG

More pictures of some cement and dirt

101_1866.thumb.JPG.520c0960029bcd83ceef2052bad16d6a.JPG

And I leave you today with something I haven't been able to do since I started frequenting the park about two years ago. The Left Side of Superman!

I saw something interesting at colossus. It looks like they put a new train on the transfer track. It is black and looks like the previous trains except it doesn't have the Colossus logo on it. There was also one car without its outside chassis and just had the metal and the lap bars. In addition, there was another car (single car, just 2 rows) sitting on the right track (the one that hasn't been used for about a year. I wonder if they are trying to switch tracks or if they are trying something out.

That black train was there when I was last at SFMM back in October. Are you sure it's new?

Also, on the same trip I asked one of the Colossus ride ops what happened to the second track, and they said it was "being remodled". This isn't official yet, but I'm hoping for a chance of a Rocky Mountian Refurb on one track while keeping the other classic.

Now that the footers have been poured and we are seeing a better scale of the actual ride, it appears to me that they kept the footprint to YOLO as minimal as possible. This keeps me optimistic for the future, as there is still a very large, wooded, hilly area that could sustain another coaster. Pistachio Park station? Hmmm?

Now that the footers have been poured and we are seeing a better scale of the actual ride, it appears to me that they kept the footprint to YOLO as minimal as possible. This keeps me optimistic for the future, as there is still a very large, wooded, hilly area that could sustain another coaster. Pistachio Park station? Hmmm?

I was thinking the same thing. The footers are tucked along the hill well, and the hill space on the back near Superman was dead space anyway.

[Edit]: And then if they ripped out Whistlestop park....

Mental image I turned into reality:

Untitled.jpg.4b9635b19732f803b308b79fc4e9fd5d.jpg

Yellow = FT footprint

They are creating a new area also right? So I would think thats possible (another coaster or ride in that new area

^^ I think it's mostly used for concerts during Jubilee (Christian day), Key Club stuff and other private event stuff. They used to have concerts there until there was that riot at the TLC show. Oingo Boingo, NKOTB, Weird Al, played there and many others.

I know in 2009 they did a Summer Concert Series that had shows by A Flock of Seagulls, Dramarama and Everclear but I don't think they were very successful because they haven't done it since.

I'm guessing the space is more of a money maker for events than it would be for a coaster otherwise it'd probably be gone by now.