TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I haven't been keeping up on this thread as much as I should, so I have some questions that may sound dumb considering I have next to no idea what's going on:

1. Is Cedar Fair going to give the "Diveloop-Immelman-FirstDrop" combo a new name, or will it simply be listed as just a Dive Drop and then an Immelmann?

2. Aside from GateKeeper construction, did Shoot the Rapids really suck that bad to be given the nickname of "Shoot the Crapids"?

3. Why doesn't anyone on Facebook know how to speak understandable English?

4. What's the big fuss about this "Keyhole" thing? Is it going to be a new element?

The "keyhole" is basically a piece of scenery that the track goes through with the absolute minimum safe clearance on either side, much like how a key just barely fits inside of a real keyhole.

2. Aside from GateKeeper construction, did Shoot the Rapids really suck that bad to be given the nickname of "Shoot the Crapids"?

I mean there were problems with the ride (the boats filled and didn't drain properly, etc.) but my whole party and I really loved it when we visited two years ago. Enough so that we rode a second time, which isn't something I'll usually do for water rides (or non-coasters in general).

I haven't been keeping up on this thread as much as I should, so I have some questions that may sound dumb considering I have next to no idea what's going on:

1. Is Cedar Fair going to give the "Diveloop-Immelman-FirstDrop" combo a new name, or will it simply be listed as just a Dive Drop and then an Immelmann?

3. Why doesn't anyone on Facebook know how to speak understandable English?

4. What's the big fuss about this "Keyhole" thing? Is it going to be a new element?

1. It is called a wing over drop.

2. That is a matter of one's opinion.

3. I can.

4. Yes and no. Keyholes are becoming more popular on wing coasters, although this type is new. (expect every wing coaster to have a unique keyhole element)

Cedar Point has sent us a press release regarding their new payment plan option for resort guests planning to lock in pre-season rates for their upcoming visits.

Families and friends planning an overnight visit to the “Best Amusement Park in the World,” Cedar Point amusement park/resort, can save money by taking advantage of a convenient new payment plan if they pre-book their visit at the park’s resorts by March 1. The Cedar Point "Easy Pay" plan allows visitors to lock-in the park's low pre-season rates while conveniently managing the cost of their stay in four easy installments. Packages can be purchased on Cedar Point’s website or by calling 419-627-2106. As an extra bonus, Cedar Point provides resort guests with the coveted one hour early entry into the park.

“We are always looking for new ways to make the Cedar Point experience easier and more convenient for our guests,” said Jack Highsmith, corporate vice president of resort operations. “Our new Easy Pay plan now makes it even more affordable for families and friends while staying overnight at the world's best amusement park."

Roller coaster enthusiasts may want to move quickly and take advantage of the park's new payment program. May 11 marks the beginning of a historic year for Cedar Point with the arrival of GateKeeper, the park’s newest world-record-breaking coaster. Towering at 170 feet, spinning through two signature keyholes at speeds of 67 mph – GateKeeper gives guests a simulated flight experience that will break at least five world records including tallest drop, longest track and most inversions of any wing coaster on the planet. The new coaster derives its namesake by twisting up and over Cedar Point's main entrance gates, and joins record-setting legends Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force, earning Cedar Point the title “World’s Best Amusement Park” for 15 consecutive years.

In addition to the park’s world-class coasters and the beautiful Cedar Point Beach, guests who stay at any of Cedar Point’s resorts will find there are endless opportunities for an extended stay. Along with park attractions like Planet Snoopy, Luminosity and Dinosaurs Alive, resort guests are eligible for $10 day passes to Castaway Bay indoor waterpark.

Cedar Point’s resorts include the historic Hotel Breakers, which merges all the modern-day conveniences with fine architecture dating back to 1905, Sandcastle Suites, the quaint lakeside cabins and luxury RV sites at Lighthouse Point, Camper Village, Castaway Bay indoor water park and Breakers Express, which offers the best deals for guests on a budget.

That'll go in line with the resort upgrades as well. Heck gotta push that $60mil resort upgrades somewhere. Gives more reason for multi-night stays if the place you're staying is similar to what you're getting at a 5-star hotel. Very happy that they're actually becoming a full resort destination versus being an amusement park with generic hotels on site that may or may not have seen an update in the past 20 years.

In regards to the break in the key hole structures. If you look at the renderings, it appears that there is a façade of rectangles on the structure. Its possible they will stay separate inside to allow for the structure to bend when the trains go by without the facade to crack.

Possible.. we will have to wait and see

At about 4-5 seconds and 16 seconds in, this video shows some renderings of what the new entry way will "officially" look like. This video also has some good shots from the B&M steel plant:

www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=277929

Or here is a still from the video:

Nice find! I like the new look of the entrance. It looks way better than the old one!

Much better layout with the ticket booths set off to the side. Prefer it that way than having it being a 2-layer thing like it was previously. The new rendering of the front entrance looks very modern, the CP sign matching the Causeway signs and making the entrance much more open than before. Excited to step through these gates this summer!

I must say this time they told the date for the placement it better. I guess they did learn from there last experience.

I took a look at the color of the towers and found this:

The container's color of coarse.

Doesn't look that different but I guess it will be.

This is going great.

I wonder if the top gaps will be filled. I know they serve a practical purpose for the time being, but there don't appear to be any bolt connections to check once construction is done. I have no qualms with the bottom gaps remaining.