TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^I can understand your frustration. The last time I couldn't ride a coaster was the late 70s at Elitch Gardens, I apparently threw a fit cuz I wasn't tall enough to ride Mr. Twister. The next time I got back to the ride in 1995, it was closed and rotting away Now that's a bummer!

Some surprising height restrictions that come to mind are Phoenix, Mind Bender and (SFGAmerica) Demon all at 42". My little cousin has been riding the Demon since he was a hair over 42" and even though I know he's perfectly safe (and I rode Demon at that height, too) that first drop in the back seat is still scurry... Mind Bender in the front seat in a couple spots has amazing air. And then of course we have the cool oddity of Cyclops at Mount Olympus where you have to be OVER 18 to ride the back car.

Outlaw Run is going to be wicked. With Rocky Mountain, the game could really change in the coaster world. And no redundant seat belts, better for high capacities!

I don't see a problem with the 48 inch height restriction, but I'd be surprised if they market it as a family coaster. I'm still a little surprised that PowderKeg (also 48 inch height requirement) is marketed as a family launched coaster, but I'd say most kids who actually will actually ride a coaster like this are going to enjoy it.

PowderKeg has a 42" height requirement, that's why it's a family launched coaster!

Im guessing that testing will start sometime next month.

Testing in February????? I'm guessing it won't start testing in the winter. Has the park given any hints about the projected opening date, beyond "Spring"?

Edited by larrygator

^Wild Eagle tested in February, but we did have a mild winter last year. Pretty sure B&M was testing it in January as well before they handed it over to the park.

Thanks Eric, good to know a historical Herschend reference. Do you recall if Wild Eagle announced to open with the park to begin the season? I just can't recall a wood coaster testing in the winter (outside of a warm weather climate) before. Then again, it's not something I've paid attention to in the past.

Edited by larrygator

Im guessing that testing will start sometime next month.

Testing in February????? I'm guessing it won't start testing in the winter. Has the park given any hints about the projected opening date, beyond "Spring"?

Yep. The monthly average temperature in southern Missouri (Branson is only about 12 miles from the Arkansas state line) is 49. Towards the end of February it's not unheard of to hit in the 70's often (even up in northern Missouri as well.) SDC is the first of the 3 major theme parks in MO to open each year. This year they open March 15th.

^I'm sure that they'll be watching the Weather Channel and pick some good days that'll be warm and pleasant enough to do their series of testing on Outlaw Run. The weekend of January 12 and 13 was springlike if you live here Bridgewater, VA (Today it's cold and rainy) so it wouldn't be usual if one or two warm and pleasant days arrived in Branson right in the middle of winter, but I bet it'll be AH SO BAD if a blizzard shows up during Outlaw Run's opening day.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

Well, the park just posted this page yesterday:

http://bit.ly/VsVZlP

http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/group-travel/ycw.aspx?sf8720431=1

From the top of the page:

Young Christians' Weekend

April 5 - 7, 2013

Music that moves you, Speakers that inspire you & Thrill rides that turn your world upside down! Plus in 2013, attend YCW and be one of the first to ride the new Outlaw Run—“The World’s Most Daring Wood Coaster!”

So we can take from this that they are certain that Outlaw Run will be open by April 5. Talking with park employees during the Christmas event, most of them believed Outlaw Run would be open on March 15. The park itself, though, has only ever said "Spring." So this page is probably the closest thing we've gotten so far to an official opening date. Nothing stopping them from opening it sooner, though; the tag "be one of the first" would still be true.

SDC always opens their rides on opening day. The clientele here expect it. The actual media day will be later, but the ride will be open until then.

In other news, testing has begun, the first train has cleared the course a few days ago, and as of today it sounds like some PR or RMC folks actually got to ride.

Here's a great video series from the park that shows some of the train fabrication and the arrival on park:

Wow, glad to hear testing is already happening! Can't wait to see the first videos of this insane ride in action. My goal next summer is a trip to Hersheypark and a trip to Missouri to visit SDC and Six Flags St. Louis (along with visiting friends at Wash U). Hopefully that happens

SDC always opens their rides on opening day. The clientele here expect it. The actual media day will be later, but the ride will be open until then.

In other news, testing has begun, the first train has cleared the course a few days ago, and as of today it sounds like some PR or RMC folks actually got to ride.

Here's a great video series from the park that shows some of the train fabrication and the arrival on park:

Wow, I totally missed that it's begun testing! Great news!

Silver Dollar City has sent us the second installment in a series of videos covering the construction and processes behind making Outlaw Run a reality.

In case you missed it Friday: Outlaw Run: The Adventure Mounts! Check out the new arrival…Our Through the Barrel Roll video series continues!