Malaysia and Singapore Parks!

Update! Danga World (yuck) and Sentosa (nice) on page 5!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Malaysia and Singapore Parks!

Postby milst1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:03 am

Cheryl and I have now devoted our lives to trying to maintain our status on Delta even though we no longer have that trans-Atlantic commute. In service to that quest, we did the Malaysia/Singapore thing, which turned out to be a very fun trip. Just an FYI, getting out to these locations is a LONG freaking ride. Be prepared not to be able to feel your ass for a few days after the flight, unless you're flying in Business, where you can at least lie down and let other parts of your body take the punishment of approximately 20 hours of flying (from the East Coast). I believe that the Singapore Airlines all-business-class flight from EWR to SIN is the longest commercial flight currently offered, but we couldn't afford that and we need Delta miles, so this was JFK-NRT-SIN-KUL-SIN-NRT-JFK with the SIN-KUL-SIN segments on Air Asia (thanks for the rec, Elissa!) and the rest on Delta.

We were a little nervous because Malaysia was our first Muslim country (We know, not necessarily a big deal except that we happen to be ethnically, if not religiously, Jewish). Malaysia also doesn't recognize the State of Israel, which we find bothersome, but we swallowed our Jewish pride and went for it anyway. It turned out to be a great experience.
delta747.jpg
This is how I roll.
cp.jpg
This is the Crowne Plaza at Changi Airport in Singapore, the only hotel on airport property. We got in at about 02:00 and had a flight at 08:00. At least we got to shower and sleep for a few hours.
drugs.jpg
Woe be unto those who forgot that they had a joint on them.
airasiasinkul.jpg
Then it was on to Kuala Lumpur via Air Asia. Elissa recommended them and they were great.
sunwayentrance.jpg
After getting picked up by our very cool guide, Zach, we headed to the premier KL amusement park, Sunway Lagoon.
slwristband.jpg
You have to rent this little wristband to get in. If you don't use it to store cash, it's pretty much otherwise useless. When you return it you get a deposit back.
nothing.jpg
It really doesn't look like much when you walk in, which is deceptive. It's a pretty big tract of land.
lcog.jpg
Here's the one credit (not counting a powered). It's a Soquet mine train. They're surprisingly smooth, IMHO.
lcogtrack.jpg
Another pic of the credit. I seem to not have gotten any good shots.
tigers.jpg
There are also some tigers near the entrance, which hint at the park's zoo section. While there is a steep moat separating the tigers from guests (Cheryl thought that Richard Parker was going to roll off the cliff in his sleep), this is one of those places where you know that a reasonably motivated tiger is going to one day get loose and kill a guest or two.
bridge.jpg
There are some so-so flats (teacups and a pirate ship) but then you see this.
bridgeview.jpg
This is really really cool!
bridgecheryl.jpg
It's not that high up, but Cheryl actually got a touch of vertigo.
tornado.jpg
To the left you can see the massive Tornado they're building for their waterpark section, called Vuvuzela. I'm working on finding out if it's ProSlide or not. I'm pretty sure it's not, due to some unfamiliar markings on the tubes.
sunwaywaterfalls.jpg
Some decent theming on the right.
sunwaybridgelookingback.jpg
Here's the view looking back the way we'd come.
tornadopieces.jpg
Here are more pieces of Vuvuzela.
archery.jpg
An archery booth. We've seen these before in our travels, and it's one of those attractions that you're unlikely to ever see in the U.S.
gokarts.jpg
And for the go-karters...
atvs.jpg
There was also a short but fun ATV course, which we did. For some reason, the most challenging part of the course is right at the beginning. I wanted to suggest changing the order of sections so that the difficult part came at the end, when people have become a little more used to the machine, but I kept my mouth shut.
hairnet.jpg
They make you wear hairnets and elbow and knee pads.
bikes.jpg
All of this stuff except for a slingshot and a zipline are included in the entry price.
niqab.jpg
We saw a lot of Malaysian women wearing hijab type headscarves, but occasionally we would see niqab clothing with veils covering all but the eyes. There is a lot of tourism from the Arab countries to Malaysia.
tuberentals.jpg
This further confused me regarding the need for the waterproof bracelet.
flowrider.jpg
Flow Rider, again, I think included.
lazyriver.jpg
Lazy river. The weather was hot and muggy, but we hadn't planned on doing the water park.
slides.jpg
More slides, including a Burmese Python.
python.jpg
And the real thing. I think. This could have been the boa.
prariedogs.jpg
American prairie dogs in the zoo!
crocs.jpg
Crocs.
hornbill.jpg
Some great hornbills. I mean, they weren't that great, but that's their name.
conclusion.jpg
So it's not a great traditional amusement park because of the dearth of coasters and flats, but there is a little bit here for everyone. Thanks for visiting. Next up will be Berjaya Times Square.
Last edited by milst1 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:10 pm.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com]Image
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Six Flags Great Adventure
Next Park: Somewhere in Vietnam
Running 2019 Park Count: 120

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Malaysia and Singapore Parks!

Postby cfc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 am

So, they were just "average" great hornbills?

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby milst1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm

cfc wrote:

So, they were just "average" great hornbills?

lol

They were OK. ;-)
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com]Image
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Six Flags Great Adventure
Next Park: Somewhere in Vietnam
Running 2019 Park Count: 120

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Man I love this park when I visited back in '09. The setting for it is so awesome!

And to answer you're question, the new slide is an Abyss, built by Whitewater (it's Superior to the tornado's).
Did you do the theme park in the Times Square mall as well?

The wave pool under the suspension bridge is actually the largest in the world, beating out the one at Disney with something like 500 square feet if I remember correctly.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm

_koppen wrote:Did you do the theme park in the Times Square mall as well?

Next up will be Berjaya Times Square.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coastercrazy216 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 pm

_koppen wrote:the new slide is an Abyss, built by Whitewater (it's Superior to the tornado's).
Did you do the theme park in the Times Square mall as well?

I actually strongly disagree that the Abyss is better than the Tornado. The Abyss, while larger, lacks the circular shape of the Tornado. Instead, the Abyss just has two gently slanted walls that do not feature any angle change. It is really a shame considering how impressive they look. Having been on both as well as the majority of both ProSlide and White Water West products, I can say that ProSlide generally wins innovation, slide design, appearance, and thrill level over White Water.

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 am

coastercrazy216 wrote:I actually strongly disagree that the Abyss is better than the Tornado. The Abyss, while larger, lacks the circular shape of the Tornado. Instead, the Abyss just has two gently slanted walls that do not feature any angle change. It is really a shame considering how impressive they look. Having been on both as well as the majority of both ProSlide and White Water West products, I can say that ProSlide generally wins innovation, slide design, appearance, and thrill level over White Water.

Well then, let's agree to disagree :b
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Very cool report; thanks! And what the hell is a "Waterplexx 5D?" If it is what it looks like in this banner, then the 5D thing has gone completely out of control.
conclusion.jpg
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby golfburner1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Ride Count 2013: Kingda Ka: 12, El toro: 20, Superman Ultimate Flight: 4, Green Lantern: 7, Bizzaro: 27
Skull Mountain: 44 (Perma Seats), Nitro: 105, Dark Knight Coaster: 14, Sky Screamer: 7, Runaway Mine Train: 5, Rolling Thunder: 4, and Batman:The Ride: 18
Great adventure here I come!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm

^Thanks for that link... Yeah, the 5D thing has gone completely out of control. Because that's just what every waterslide park needs: a virtual waterslide. :lmao:
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!